Heads up REAL 05 owners

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by KTMax, May 2, 2005.

1. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    I have seen a Tech Bulletin for 05 models. Please note that this ONLY applies to "real" 05 bikes, not re-badged late 04 models sold as 05's. So 05 manufactured bikes only.

Below a piece of text from this TB that was posted on some other Euro forum. Since this can potentially damage the engine it seemed a good idea to post it here too. The mentioned plugs are inside the engine.

"The screw plugs that are fitted to the oil-jet casting on the left and right engine case may loosen and unscrew. Consequently they may collide with the connecting rod and cause damage to the crankcase and subsequent oil pressure loss."

This TB was not given an Immediate Action status and is NO recall. It needs to be done at the first 1000 KM, or second 7500 KM service at the latest. It's a simple fix but it does take 2 or 3 hours of tool-time.

No reason to panic. Just make damn sure your dealer knows about it... :augie
  2. RAGrote

RAGrote Fishin w PICO

Oddometer:
    Do you have any knowledge of a link to an official announcement?
    Link to the TB?

Please post the whole bulletin if you can, even if it's in a language other than English.

Bits and pieces makes my head spin... If I have specific information I can do the service myself.

Thanks!!
  3. KTMax

Oddometer:
    There is no site for such info. I'm sorry RAGrote but you'll have to take my word for it. I can't post the TB. I'm as specific and accurate as I can. And that's pretty accurate, believe me.
  4. RAGrote

RAGrote Fishin w PICO

Oddometer:
    I can dig it!!

Just lookin for a bit more detail so I could speak intelligently with my dealer.

5. dgrs2

dgrs2 Where'd I leave my knee??

Oddometer:
    Yep, I saw that TB at my dealer when I got new tires mounted. He is going over 04 and 05's for the problem. Better safe than sorry!!!!! :D
  6. k7

k7 Almost retired....tick..tick..tick..

Oddometer:
    What's the corrective action? Use the permanent loc-tite stuff?
  7. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    So if a dealer hasn't heard of this TSB, what should be referenced?
  8. dgrs2

Oddometer:
    Remove bolts one at a time, clean, and apply the red stuff!!!
  9. olddude

olddude Auburn, CA

Oddometer:
    My dealer called me and told me about it. Said it should be fixed at the 600 or 1000 mile tuneup. KTM was paying for it.
  10. inte

Oddometer:
    What dealer is that?
  11. DPRider

DPRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "The screw plugs that are fitted to the oil-jet casting on the left and right engine case may loosen and unscrew. Consequently they may collide with the connecting rod and cause damage to the crankcase and subsequent oil pressure loss"

Won't that require splitting the engine cases! That is way more than a couple hours wrench time, that's a major undertaking.

Can someone shed light on this?
  12. KTMax

Oddometer:
    Guys, this is an official TB issued by KTM. Every authorised dealer has it online. The ones without an internet connection (?!?) should have/get it by fax. There is no excuse not to know about it, make no mistake.

The amount of time involved I mentioned is the extra time needed during a 1000 or 7500 KM service.

For the sake of the owners of the 05 bikes involved, we shouldn't speculate on the right procedure or what needs do be done. This is NO DYI Loctite fix. The srews need to be secured with a special punch at the edge of the threaded bores. It requires special tools and the correct checking procedure to follow. The engine cases don't need to be split BTW.

I can't imagine than anybody wants do to this himself and dropping the entire warranty. This concerns brand new bikes.
  13. inte

Oddometer:
    So if we (consumers) can't see the actual TSB or the reference number, what's to prevent a dealer from simply saying "there is no TSB"? Or "none that we're aware of", which is what I was told.
  14. KTMax

Oddometer:
    :eek2 :eek2 :eek2 That wouldn't boost my confidence to say the least... :whip :cromag

I don't know if KTM uses WW reference # but overhere it is TI 30/05/008.
  15. RAGrote

RAGrote Fishin w PICO

Oddometer:
    You mean like I did when I did my 1000km service?
    Or when I changed my own oil?
    Or...

You get the picture.

As to the service. Hec, I don't even take my best friend's word when it comes to my possessions, I can't imagine why you're so (apparently) disconcerted that we want more info on this. It's not that we don't trust what you're saying but it sure would be nice to be able to read it for ourselves.

To say "have it done during the 1000km or 7500km service". That's 6000km apart and if this can cause the catostrophic failure that you describe... well... I apologize now but you saying "I'm as specific and accurate as I can. And that's pretty accurate, believe me." just doesn't quite get it. No offense intended what so ever, but we don't know you from Adam. You should expect the reaction that has been evident in the posts.

I'll call my dealer today and post all the info I can get... If there's none to be had I'll post that as well.

This is kinda like poking a beehive with a stick, eh KTMax?:D
    Don't think we don't appreciate your info... I will use it to gauge the proficiency of my dealership.
    Thanks again.:thumb :thumb
  16. KTMax

Oddometer:
    This is my last email on this topic. I'm trying to keep a balance between having access to this sort of information that normaly isn't available for customers (as I am too), and the trust this access is based on. Trust that I don't use it the wrong way. Like posting a dealer TB on a public forum...

I have a few good KTM contacts that allow me to view this info. These contacts are very precious to me and I don't want to misuse their trust. And shoot myself in the foot at the same time BTW.

The only reason I posted about this TB and no others is that this one can potentially damage engines instead of causing mere 'inconveniece'. Like a slipping clutch and stuff like that. From this forum and others I have learned that there are a lot of shitty dealers out there. And owners that do their own maintenance. Striking a mild alarm bell with enough info to point the owners of these bikes in the right direction seemed appropriate to me. "poking a beehive with a stick" is about the last thing I have in mind... :nah

The info I've put in this thread is actual data. Not my interpretation or what I 'think' it is. All the info is there, right up to the TI number for Chr. sake. Be your own judge what to do with it. Case closed as far as I'm concerned. :thumb

Hell, I've got an 03 bike myself... :D
  17. dgrs2

Oddometer:
    Time to find a new dealer that knows what KTM actually stands for :huh If you sell KTM's don't you think you would get all the same info as other dealers? Mine actually let me look at the TSB. Matter of fact he had pages of them from KTM on the 950. All things that get done during service. I guess some dealers just like to have the name KTM on their store front but don't care to back up their product. I guess a $15,000 machine takes care of it self as time progresses, and it also spits out tech bulletins as time goes on also.
    The reason for the rant is simple. My dealer, Matto Cycle here in PA has treated me with respect over the years. No bullshit, no run around, just simple honest business. My professional career forces me, most of the time to get my job done in three days and to do it correctly without any mistakes. A mistake would cost me my business. I think alot of dealers out there realize that and take care of their customers no matter what they have to do. Sounds like some guys out there have no choice but to use a crappy dealer, which sucks for them because it hurts the reputation of KTM in the long run. I wouldn't purchase a machine that I couldn't get serviced correctly or in a timely manner..................move on to a lesser product, I think not. That would suck to have to go back to one of the other machine makers out there not that there's anything wrong with them but........ :D :eek1 :bueller
  18. olddude

olddude Auburn, CA

Oddometer:
    http://www.nevadaktm.com/

In Reno, NV
    Ask for Mark, the owner

sorry so late with this
  19. Chadd

Chadd I live in the wrong place

Oddometer:

How are these updates taken care of when you do your own service to the bike? Just take it in and they do it?

Thanks,
    Chadd
  20. inte

Oddometer:
    Talked with a dealer (thanks, olddude) - the TSB only affects certain VIN numbers on 2005 950s (mine's not on the list :D ).

Chances are, the newer your 950 is, the more likely it is the fix has been done prior to delivery.

Regardless, like KTMax mentioned, it's not an "immediate action" item. Just something to do (or have done) at your 1st service (not even recommended until over 4000 miles). I understand there's a "special tool" required for this particular repair/fix.