Heart of Texas Rally - 2017

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by ricmachado, May 1, 2017.

1. ricmachado

ricmachado Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last year I had my first experience riding a Rally when I participated in the Heart of Texas riding my KLR 650, it was my first try and I made many rookie mistakes, I also didn't have much of a plan and had many paper maps printed out to follow, at the end of the 12 hour, I scored enough points to be in 9th place, not bad considering the resources...
    This year, my daughter said she wanted to ride along with me, and we decided the Ural was a better bike, so last Friday after she arrived home from school, we left home to Jacksonville, TX to participate in the HEART OF TEXAS 2017. El Camino Real
  2. ricmachado

Oddometer:
    It all started about three weeks ago when we received the bonus package, it asked for a picture of the rider with the loved ones and the motorcycle

[​IMG]

We did some planning in the evenings

[​IMG]

and finally, last Friday was the day, we left home at around 5:00 pm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Saturday started early for us

[​IMG]

I'm glad she was exited about the ride, do you know how hard it is to wake up a 14 year old girl??

[​IMG]

at 4:48 am Saturday, we left the hotel and went to the nearest McD for the start receipt and breakfast. When we arrived at the McD, I asked the cashier if she could just print me a ticket that showed the address and time, she said no, you have to buy something, OK, I said, I just need something that shows 6:00 am, I'll just buy a cookie then... 6:00 am came and I asked her for a cookie, "What kind?" anything, I just want the receipt "Do you want two for a dollar?" Sure, I just want the receipt, can I have them please...

[​IMG]

First Stop is KIMO - Killough Monument

[​IMG]

And now to Vertical Railroad Track, it's amazing how much history we can learn during these events, the Texas state prision system estabilished the railroad in 1881 and inmates built the line...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    whiskeygut and jwaller like this.
  3. ricmachado

Oddometer:
    Now for some of the Camino Real marks, each mark was worth one card of a regular 52 cards deck and we need at least five to make one poker hand and be considered a finisher for the event, the best poker hand also won the fee for the next rally,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the weather was good so far and the roads were great, what else I could ask for??

next stop was Mission Tejas

[​IMG]

they want to charge me $2.00 each to get in and take the picture, after some asking, they allowed me to go take the picture and get out, and that is what I did, I was also about 115 miles on the ODO and I knew my gas was getting low, so I asked where was the closest gas station, "-12 miles to the left...", the co-pilot says next bonus is 1.5 mile to the right, [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] OK, let's go for it...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

will mother nature be on our side???
  4. ricmachado

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Continuing our history lesson, the next stop was "The Gateway"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and from there to "The Treat"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

getting out of this bonus, we meet another rider, he also participated last year, we exchange some words and he said there was another marker just a few miles up the road, not out of my way at all, better be safe than sorry, so we took another "poker card" for insurance

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

on the way to the next bonus, we found an old gas station and they didn't accept credit cards, so I had to hope we had enough gas again to make to the next one 15 miles away...

[​IMG]

will the weather cooperate?? will the Ural perform??
  5. ricmachado

Oddometer:
    Continuing riding around east Texas for out next bonus, on the way there, stopped for gas one more time and just for to be safe we put on the rain gear...

[​IMG]

the rain started to get bad and we made another stop at Brookeland United Methodist Church

[​IMG]

we reviewed the schedule and decided to go for the Grave of Josephus Irvine, that bonus had a note that the roads to it were dirty or gravel and could slow you down, since we were riding a Ural, I was thinking, how much slower can we go??? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

the weather was getting bad but we decided to go for it..... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pictures don't do justice to how bad it was, when I looked at her and she was all curled up I stopped at this gas station and we decided to give up on that one and ride back, the storm was going east towards that bonus and if we moved on, we would start to ride west and hopefully out of the storm... she was at least having a blast!!

we kept following the schedule and stopped at the "Alabama Coushatta Indian Memorial"

[​IMG]

Early Roads marker in Livingston

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the rain was back with us...

Fanthorp Inn, Anderson TX

[​IMG]
  6. ricmachado

Oddometer:
    only two more stops to make and it's around 4:20, this time, she forgot to get the Rally Flag from the sidecar, so since she is the youngest, she got to run back to get it for the picture... this was at the Washington-on-the-Brazos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we left Washington-on-the-Brazos with just over one hour to finish, our GPS was showing we getting at the last bonus (3 miles from the finish line) around 17:25, the Ural did an excellent job and for the first time in all day, we had the wind in our favor and a small incline, this allowed us to run for 20+ miles at almost the speed limit, reaching speeds of over 65 MHP [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

We made to the Boonville Cemetery in Bryan just after 5 pm and we took out last bonus picture, since it was the last stop for many riders, we were able to have someone take a picture with both of us together...

[​IMG]

from there, we rode to the hotel to check in and score the points...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we placed 10th overall with 404 miles and 3942 points, so much fun, the Ural got a lot of attention and the bike did very well, keeping up with the big guys...

at the end, a cookie for her and a beer for me...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. SwampFox883R

SwampFox883R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent! With memories for a lifetime [​IMG]

We'll be watching for y'all at the East Texas Sidecar Muster.
    Solo Gato and ricmachado like this.
  8. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is awesome! Very cool that your teenage daughter actually went along! Congrats on the top 10 finish as well.

Wife and I started rallying almost 5 years ago and now I don't think we could go back to our old ways of just putting around. You can learn so much history and see so many cool things doing these events. Best of luck on your future rides.
  9. jwaller

jwaller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some folks would do anything for a beer!

Man, that looks like fun. Maybe I'll get an opportunity one year.

I guess you could call that area my ancestral home. My maternal grandparents are from the Jacksonville area and my paternal grandparents from the Lufkin area. I grew up going to the state railroad and riding the train. Reading your ride report and seeing the photos really brought up some old cherished memories of passed away family members and family gatherings.
  10. whiskeygut

whiskeygut KMAG YOYO

Oddometer:
    Hey Dad, in my opinion you both scored FIRST PLACE!!
    ricmachado likes this.
  11. frique

frique Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride, result and pictures! That reason did *not* look fun, though...

I am really impressed that your daughter was so up for this - particularly given the enthusiastic starting hour!
    ricmachado likes this.
  12. The Virginian

The Virginian YouTube n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just awesome and your copilot was an absolute trooper. Congrats to the both of you.
    ricmachado likes this.