Heart of the West ADV 'Roundabout'

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by byways, Dec 2, 2012.

1. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    I guess the good news is more precip = fewer fires come Sept ..?

2. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Well, DynoBob, I'm no hotshot, but as the father of one ... I'm told that more precip leads to the growth of more "fuels" in spring. As summer temps rise, those fuels dry out. As people head out to play, wildfires become increasingly likely, larger, more intense and more dangerous. Right now, it's lush, green and beautiful out there, and streams and rivers are high and fast.

BTW ... Let's remember that June 30, 2013, is the sad anniversary of when 19 Granite Mountain Hotshots died side by side in Arizona, in battle against a ruthless domestic enemy: wildfire.

The toll of lost wildland firefighters that year alone: 34.

Please consider supporting the Wildland Firefighter Foundation, which in turn supports injured and killed firefighters and their families, who receive little to no support otherwise.
    CaseyB, Strong Bad and DYNOBOB like this.
  3. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    A beautiful, breezy and solitary day out on the route yesterday, although a powerful storm rolled through this country not long after I passed through ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Lotsahorses

Lotsahorses Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tony, George and I are going over our packing plans and a few things left to do to the bikes. Those pictures are making us crazy. Quite the ride you have put together.
    Eight more weeks..
  5. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    We're all crazy to be doing this! So glad to hear you'll soon be on your way, Lotsahorses ...
  6. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Been out continually in recent days in the unending search for enhancements to the H.o.W. experience. This one, I'm afraid, we'll keep to ourselves, for some things should belong to folks who live in this country. It is what we have on a lazy summer day ...

[​IMG]

But don't fret, for there are others much like it that we're willing to share ... if you're signed on for '19 ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    MaNDan, WDG, yosso and 2 others like this.
  7. sleazy rider

sleazy rider przemądrzały dupek

Oddometer:
    Tentatively in the works - September 2020 - a return to our original routing from 2014 and finishing the ride by going west from Rawlins thru Utah and back thru Colorado to Rawlins, a fine two week adventure (unless I can talk him into three weeks :D). Scott and I with three others did the northern section in 2014. I had a KLR 650 that was just a smidge overweight and unwieldy in the gnarly sections. This time I'm thinking DRZ-400 or a unicorn XR-400 with a minimal camping load out now that we've BTDT and know somewhat to expect for conditions.

/waves @byways
  8. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good plan, Sleazy.

Quite a few travelers from years past are returning for a second go at H.o.W. ... some because circumstances prevented completion the first time, others because they underestimated the rigor that H.o.W. involves, still others because its extensive network of interconnected loops 'n routes 'n BDR connectors provides so much variety that it's impossible to cover it all in one journey.

I encourage H.o.W. travelers to think of it as a multi-season opportunity, not a one-time thing.

BTW, there's been none of this along the route so far this season ...

[​IMG]

And the weather gods have been pleased with our sacrifices ... :ricky
    CaseyB likes this.
  9. DYNOBOB

DYNOBOB lucky dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    We are likely going to re-visit this trip the last two weeks of Sept :)

10. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Awesome, D'Bob! We could probably have a H.o.W. veterans' convention ...
  11. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    So ... Utah online retailer Backcountry dot com is suing or threatening crushing legal action against small businesses nationwide that also use the word "backcountry" for their products and services. Even those who've had the use trademarked for years and even decades.

They assert that they have exclusive right to such uses of "backcountry" regardless of its common usage and prior trademarks.

Read about the issue -- first exposed in Denver's Colorado Sun -- in the magazine Adventure Journal. And stay tuned ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, that sucks. Good Luck Tony!!
    byways likes this.
  13. armith

armith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just read up on some of the stories on this.. I'm very disappointed as I have updated a fair bit of my camping gear in the last couple years through them. Definitely makes me want to rethink my future purchase options if this is really the preferred path of doing business.

Good luck!!
    byways likes this.
  14. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Thanks! At least I'll have a lot of company ...

:dirtdog
  15. ABuck99

ABuck99 0.0

Oddometer:
    Tony-

Preface Im no lawyer but seems to me IP on the word "Backcountry" is going to be very difficult and costly to enforce or bring suit against. A quick search on TESS shows 138 records (live & dead) with the word backcountry; from service providers, to coffee roasters, to restaurants etc. http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showf...h&a_search=Submit+Query&a_search=Submit+Query

If they are reaching out to everyone with the word backcountry in their product or company name its simply legal scare tactics to scatter the heard. Circle the wagons and file a counter suit if need be.

I found backcountry.com's registrations; one is registered as "DESIGN PLUS WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS" thats the goat logo with word. And the date at which it was registered first used in commerce was 7/2017. http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4806:evypr7.2.23. The word mark or "character" mark for the name backcountry was registered 11/2018- http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4806:evypr7.2.9

Many other company name registrations were registered and in use long before that so I wouldn't worry too much about loosing your right to use the word in your product name as it describes a generalzed theme of your service. Whats next trying to claim word/character mark on the term "Adventure"?
  16. armith

armith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This reminds me of an Onion article from back in the 90s regarding Bill Gates trademarking the numbers 0 and 1.. effectively owning the entire digital world. Sad that we live in a world where people make a living solely by frivilous BS like this.
    byways likes this.
  17. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Awesome, Andrew! This took time to do, so let's share it 'round ...

tony

18. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder if they also sent a letter to the folks doing all of the Backcountry Discovery Routes (BDR)?
  19. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was wondering the same thing
  20. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    WDG and CaseyB like this.