Heart of the West ADV 'Roundabout'

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by byways, Dec 2, 2012.

1. TheOffRoadKid

TheOffRoadKid n00b

Oddometer:
    WDG and byways like this.
  2. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Spectacular conditions out on HoW currently! Inspections of the route suggest that this is going to be one of the best Septembers ever (Update: Early October has been even better!). Roads are dry (as are the wildlands, sadly). Mosquitoes are gone. Skies are blue. It's even kinda lonely ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not too early to start planning for 2021!
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thinking I might have to drag the sidecar out and do this awesome route again! Maybe go counter clockwise next time!
    byways likes this.
  4. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Yup, Strong Bad, you do ... Conditions are too good to pass up. :clap

This stretch of the 19th-century Lander Trail is often among the worst due to multiple mud holes and miles of deep ruts. (An alternate around it is provided.) I've not seen it this dry in several years ...

[​IMG]
    Strong Bad and WU7X like this.
  5. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart

Oddometer:
    I can’t wait to get out there in a year!
    byways likes this.
  6. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    spectacular ..
    byways likes this.
  7. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    HoW will be ready when you are!
  8. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    @byways you are living my dream. I can retire in just under 3 years if you ever need a partner. ;) For anyone thinking about doing one of these trips...just do it! I did part of it (still need to do the rest) with my son after he graduated high school and was going to be heading off to boot camp. The memories we made are some of the best of my life.
    DYNOBOB and byways like this.
  9. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Good to hear from you, Deeve!

Facilitating father-son, husband-wife, even grandparent-grandchild etc trips to mark a special moment in life (e. g., retirement, graduation, impending boot camp ...) are among the most rewarding for me.

I hope your son is doing well. I'm sure you're a proud dad.
  10. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    Thanks @byways He is doing great....just reenlisted for another 4 years with the Marines. I am very proud of him. I am proud of all three of the kiddos. My youngest will be able to get his license (and motorcycle endorsement) in a few years and I am looking forward to doing something similar with him.

When you are in the moment you sometimes do not realize the long-lasting positive impact something like this can make on you as you use them as anchors to carry you through more stressful and challenging times. Perhaps we will meet in person or talk on the phone again and I will relate some of that to you.
    byways likes this.
  11. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
  12. tyrebitr

tyrebitr jus wanna ride

Oddometer:
    Here's a shameless plug for Tony and HotW. My wife and I did part of the loop starting in SE Wyoming the first week of September. We chose to go counter-clockwise due to the fires which seemed to be burning everywhere. We made it to Idaho Falls the evening the freak storm hit and dumped snow on everyone with high winds to boot. I called Tony to get a few pointers and like always, he answered the phone and upon learning we were in his hometown, he showed up about 15 minutes later and proceeded to give us great advice and tips which we used over the next several days as we dodged the cold in central Idaho. Once we were back on track he stayed in touch and insisted we let him know once we returned home. This type of genuine concern and customer service are unusual these days and I'm here to tell you, Tony is the real deal. If you have any concern about using his services, rest easy, he won't let you down.
  13. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this, tyrebitr.

I view HoW as a service, not only as a product. That means providing advice and guidance from inception to completion, even as clients are traveling.

Visiting with HoW travelers as they pass through is a great pleasure for me, as it certainly was with you two. Sorry about the weather, which has since improved; and the fire smoke, which seems a fact of life in the West each summer nowadays.

Take care, my friend, and try to find your way back one day soon. :kumbaya
  14. Lotsahorses

Lotsahorses Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had a similar experience with Tony. This year was my third time out to the HOW and the weather was much better this year but ultimately the smoke sent me home earlier than planned. Tony went out of his way to help me pick the best part of the route for the circumstances and to give honest advice. He's the bomb. And I will be back! Cheers Tony!
    byways likes this.
  15. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Lotsahorses!

I am always happy to do what I can to help HoW travelers have successful journeys. That unseasonal wintry storm was a surprise to all ... me included.

Many from previous seasons returned this year for another run. I'll look forward to seeing you again ...
  16. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Never heard of this until this morning when another inmate posted on it. Guess I have some reading to do.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  17. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tony is a really good communicator and I wouldn't hesitate to to contact him if you have any questions. His last two posts pretty much sums up his personality and his level of support from planning though sharing current information while on the route. Also feel free to PM me and I'll be glad discuss his routes with you.
    byways likes this.
  18. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Hey thanks. I'll do that for sure. How friendly is this to solo adventure? I'd more than likely have to take my time due to some health related things and usually don't want to hold others up when I'm not able to travel for a day or two.
  19. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Hey Snake Oiler, I'm exploring in southern Nevada/Utah currently. Will be happy to visit about the route and answer your questions in a few days if you wish.

For the moment ... H.o.W. has its challenges, and overall should not be underestimated. But it is by design modular, convenient, and easily tailored to the traveler's interests, pace, riding style and circumstances. I'm always ready to assist. Just let me know when.
  20. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Thanks I appreciate that. Enjoy your travels and we'll talk later when you have time.

I never underestimate riding. I've been doing it too long to know things are not always as they seem. And it doesn't take much to have things go south quick
    byways likes this.