Heart of the West ADV 'Roundabout'

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by byways, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    SWMBO and I did it solo with our sidecar. While that's not totally the same as being completely solo/alone, if you are comfortable being in remote areas riding by yourself, I don't see a problem. I had Tony on my notification list for my Spot tracker, so whenever I "checked in" he could track our progress.

Sidecar Echo Camp.jpg

Just might have to do this trip again, maybe go around the loop counter clockwise this time. We also did about 75% of the Sea to Sierra, but went way too late in the year and go snowed out in the Mt. Lassen area. The huge fires this year kept us from going back and finishing it. We will most likely do that again but also in the opposite direction.
    byways, Snake Oiler and ProLeisure like this.
  2. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Being alone in the wild doesn't bother me. I was more concerned about the terrain or route condition. I'd be on a small bike but not the greatest rider at times. I've been known to make poor decisions on my ability. Also fuel cause I'm not the best at tracking distance for a fuel. But I do get in the neighborhood of 200/tank if I baby the gal.
    byways likes this.
  3. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Tony is really good about sharing route conditions from other people out on the route, especially if they have reported issues. We only had one place in the entire route where we couldn't easily get through with our one wheel drive sidecar. It was at the mouth of a canyon just outside of Wendover Ut (Bonneville Salt Lake) before you get on the the old Transcontinental Railroad bed. It was a washout that a motorcycle could easily made through, but not with the sidecar. I spent about an hour trying to cobble a way through with my little folding entrenching tool, but while taking a break, I walked a little bit up and could see the was more like it ahead. But with Tony's awesome maps it was really easy to find a detour and meet back up with the route in 4 or 5 miles. I thought with the sidecar there would be more of our having to re-route around stuff but that one spot was it! The way I look at it, it's all part of the adventure!

DSCF0753.JPG
    Snake Oiler and byways like this.
  4. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Actually ... Once a geologist, forever a geologist. ⛏️
    Magus and Snake Oiler like this.
  5. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl

One of the things I like about Nevada, all of them damn trees don't get in the way of my looking at rocks!
    Magus and byways like this.
  6. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
  7. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Being from the East, the lack of trees really confused me at first when I came west. And the thought of sand scared the heck out of me. But now that I've been in SW NM for two years it's every day thing. And I sorta like sand and watching others fear it as I did. It helps tho that I'm now on a 501 which seems to be born for it
    Strong Bad likes this.
  8. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    While on a solo bike sand is fun as I grew up racing in the desert. On a one wheel drive sidecar.....NOPE, NOPE, NOPE. No issues with sand on the HOW, never even had to air down!
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  9. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Sounding more and more like a nice ride to me. I have the time for sure.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  10. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    I have a SmugMug gallery depicting the entire route. Sharing it requires adding an email address to the access list. I'd be happy to do so if you private-message one to me. I will not share it or use it for marketing.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  11. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I did a search on you tube and was only able to find one short video of the ride from a while ago. I thought there would be more.
  12. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    I've noticed that as well. Seems HoW travelers prefer photos, and you'll find many in this thread and in the HoW SmugMug gallery, covering every imaginable angle of the experience. I've never made a YouTube video of anything, but I sure do watch a lot of 'em.
  13. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I had one of the earlier Go-Pros I bought to put in the off road race car I was the navigator in 10 years ago. I found it too fiddly and time consuming to edit and upload stuff. I might try pulling it back out and see if there are any software advances to make it less painful to work with.

Here is a ride report from our trip. You'll notice that we did a number of detours to see friends and family. https://advrider.com/f/threads/hacking-our-way-through-the-heart-of-the-west.1090138/

If you search over in the Ride Reports - Epic Rides, there are maybe 5 more HOW reports by other people.
  14. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I'm with you on the youtube stuff. I tried it and found it wasn't my gig. Too much pissing around to get anything worth watching other than my close friends and family. All raw footage, that editing crap is for someone more tech savvy than I.

I'll PM you @byways and when you get home from your travels you can let me know so we can talk. No hurry, hopefully this isn't another pipe dream of mine.
    I think you'll find that the go pro is about the same maybe even more messed up with all the more capacities they have. Oh and thanks for the link.

Peace ✌️
    Strong Bad and byways like this.
  15. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Just relaxing today and staying out of the wind, I took the time to read your RR. Couldn't have found a better way to enjoy the afternoon. Thanks for that.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  16. sharpie1

sharpie1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did the HOW in 2015. It was the best laid out trip I've done and am now planning on doing it again summer of 2021. I can't wait, I just really want to find someone, @Rips Millar, that can get away for 14-16 days to do it again. Should be even better on the 701 as opposed to the 950...
  17. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    Calm down @sharpie1 , i'm in. we'll tell the wife all in good time....
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  18. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've wanted to do that route for a long time. I have the time, but the bloody border is still closed and doesn't look like it will open for a while!
    Damn!!
  19. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I'm going to try to do this also. But not sure what time frame. After talking to tony @byways Sept seem like the best. It's such a large route and covers so many different climate zones. And two weeks sounds like it would really be pushing to get nearly 3000 miles.
    Strong Bad and byways like this.
  20. sharpie1

sharpie1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Two of us did it in 13 days, but that was pushing it. It could have been 12, but we lost a day finding a clutch. I wish I could do it in September, we did it in late July/early August. We hit a lot of monsoon weather with slick slippery mud in Idaho, still fun though. You definitely need riding gear for all conditions from dry and hot to cold and wet.

Edit to add: I brought Frogg Toggs rain gear on advice from this forum-absolutely worthless after 15 minutes of rain.
    Snake Oiler likes this.