Heart of the West ADV 'Roundabout'

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by byways, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Froggs are okay but not for the bike. You almost need GoreTex if you want to keep half way dry.
    sharpie1 likes this.
  2. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Summer is the season for monsoonal storms that roll up from the south. June is typically a wet and muddy month, with lingering snow blocking roads here and there. July through August can be stormy and generally unsettled, with wildfires. Mid-September tends to be drier and more stable, although nights can be cold. But the mosquitoes are gone :clap

So far, it's been a scary-dry fall and winter. Little to no snow to be seen.

Oh ... and substantial gear discounts are available to licensed H.o.W. clients in need ... :-)
    sharpie1 and Snake Oiler like this.
  3. Paul Penton

Paul Penton Trails Are Us

Oddometer:
    There are three levels and prices of Frogg Toggs and you definitely get what you pay for.
  4. miken0vf

miken0vf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm submitting this week for time off next sept/oct, if approved (I'll know in jan and im low on the seniority pole), I'll be looking you up Tony.
    byways likes this.
  5. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    The "operator" will be standing by ... :bmwrider
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  6. miken0vf

Oddometer:
    Anyone done the HoW 2 up? I found the sidecar but what about 2 up on a big bike? I searched the thread but didnt see any.
  7. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    I don't know of anyone, but people don't always tell me how they're doing H.o.W. It shouldn't be particularly difficult to do on the primary loop, although the optional segments generally are more rudimentary.
    Snake Oiler and miken0vf like this.
  8. miken0vf

Oddometer:
    Good times ahead for sure!
    Sept 19-Oct 10 2021, I'm HoW bound!
  9. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    @byways, we can only go during the kids summer break, which starts about june 10 and goes to about mid august. What would be our ideal time? I'm on a big bike and I melt in the rain. :wave
    Also what kinds of last minute detouring can we do to try to stay away from the weather?
  10. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Oh boy ... a weather question ... :hmmmmm

June typically is a wet and muddy period in the Intermountain West -- HoW country. Snowdrifts can still block the way in higher shaded spots on north-facing slopes.

Some sections can be impassable in June and July due to mud. Those sections are red-flagged, but they can change. For consistently mud-prone segments, bypasses are included where they are available. Or just look at the detailed optional paper map that Benchmark Maps publishes exclusively for HoW travelers. In the 21st century, alternates are often available.

I do include a lot of optional and alternate routing in HoW. Ultimately, you just have to see what it's like when you get there, but if it's been rainy regionally, you can expect mud. Be cautious, not bold.

I typically recommend against June for those reasons. That said, June of '20 was pretty good.

July and August can bring rain, sun, wildfires, heat, blue skies, smoke, etc. Early to mid July can avoid fires, which often worsen as summer progresses. But in terms of weather, I will risk advising that in your circumstances, schedule the trip as far into August as you can.

The West is in a drying trend overall, so 2021 could see a dry summer with fires. Regardless, we'll be monitoring conditions along with everyone else ...
    Snake Oiler and Rips Millar like this.
  11. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    We're gonna go the last 2 weeks in July and hope for the best, light winter, no fires, and a gentle mist just before we get there to keep the dust down...hahahahah
  12. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Don't worry too much, Rips Millar, for as I have long said, there is always something new in HoW ...

In '21, HoW travelers who encounter too much rain- or wildfire-related difficulty can request a complimentary "Plan B" network of thoroughly documented, detailed and exceedingly beautiful wildland routes -- with both camping and lodging -- that are not far from HoW. Like HoW, it is ideal for both moto and SUV travel.
    It has always pained me when travelers abort due to stormy weather and impassable roads :muutt, which together are a major bane of ADV riding. So this coming season, when conditions turn sour, H.o.W. travelers will have available a backup adventure on roads in the Rockies that are less impacted by precipitation than most in the region :ricky.

[​IMG]

I tested this alternate on a few 2020 travelers. It worked. By season's end, a good number of them found it rewarding enough in itself to warrant a return visit this year ... :thumb

This is another example of the kind of prompt, personalized and direct support I strive to provide every season, to every HoW traveler.
  13. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    :super:rilla:wings:beer

thank you sir!!
  14. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    When are you going to be offering recovery service? Lunch on the trail? :lol3
    sharpie1 and joefromsf like this.
  15. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    :hmmmmm ... I have a trailer, ramps, tools, tow strap, portable air, 12v refrigerator, collapsible table :dukegirl ... So, just maybe ...
    Snake Oiler and Rips Millar like this.
  16. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get on BMW Road Side Assistance program list and you could be in business.
    byways likes this.
  17. Rips Millar

Oddometer:
    @byways

Hey just found out you were a Mendocino guy back in the day....i have some property in Potter Valley, love it there. Figure this thread could use a springtime (soon) bump...
  18. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    Indeed ... We were married and lived in Calpella for four years, in a cottage at the north end of Lake Mendocino. Our daughter was born in Willits. Potter Valley was such a special place then! I hope it hasn't changed too much. I was the crime & courts reporter for the Ukiah Daily Journal, and my wife was the children's librarian. My last meal in Ukiah before leaving for Idaho in '85 was with Tim Stoen, former attorney for Peoples Temple and confidant to the late (by then) Jim Jones. Many fond memories of Mendocino County, but for the summers without air conditioning ...
    Rips Millar and live2ridetahoe like this.
  19. thor63

thor63 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Tony,
    I may have let a little history slip while chatting wit Rips. To anyone considering the HOW, Tony has been awesome. Great to talk to, routes and info are as described (maybe better), just plug and play. I just received my route and obviously haven't hit the trail, but looking over the info and scanning the computer (g-maps & g-earth), it all looks very well done.
    Rips Millar, WDG and byways like this.
  20. byways

byways byways

Oddometer:
    A group leader keeps a wary watch on a HoW traveler ...

Wild horses Wyoming (1 of 1).jpg