Heat from Cylinders on New GS-LC

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by LoveBeemer, Jun 13, 2014.

1. LoveBeemer

LoveBeemer ...From R60/5 to GSW

Oddometer:
    Just wondering if anybody has a good solution for the "hot foot" syndrome I've noticed on my 2013 GS-LC. I'm already using BMW summer boots, with very light socks, but the heat is somewhat bothersome, especially in city traffic here in the South. I also ride with Aerostich pants and a Darien or First Gear jacket (as a firm "ATGATT" believer).

I don't notice as much of this issue on my 1997 RT, for some reason. I'm hoping maybe someone has or will develop a cooling boot/sock version of the heated vests we all use. Other than that, or some equally clever solution, I guess I'll just chalk it up to greater sensitivity at my advancing age and try to get used to it! :1drink
  2. Desert John

Desert John Desert John Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same cauldron. I didn't notice the heat for the first 12,000 miles because it was fall-winter-spring, but now that I'm wearing Motoport mesh Kevlar pants for the summer, my right leg/foot is toasting. I've been told that Paige from Aeroflow is working on designing some sort of deflector but to me the onus is on BMW.
  3. Byrdguy

Byrdguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't notice it so much on my feet, but on my right calf area. I think the heat from the exhaust system gets swirled up and around that area. some sort of shield seems to be in order.
  4. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    An AF-XIED on setting 7 or 8 would richen the mixture and lower the exhaust temperature. I haven't measured how much though--perhaps 50-75 degrees.
  5. Travman

Travman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On long warm rides, I've been feeling more heat from the left side. Seems much more so than was on the camhead.
  6. brendabritney

brendabritney NomadTheRider

Oddometer:
    I'm encounter the same heat while riding, but is on the right side of the bike.
    From the meter show outside temperature from 30 to 34 deg C, engine temperature most of the time is 95 to 100 deg C while on the move. I can hear the fan keep running most of the time.:cry:cry
    monkey wrench likes this.
  7. Astolfo

Astolfo Wicked Slow

Oddometer:
    Really? if so why BMW would not do this from the start? trying to understand
  8. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Because BMW has to pass emissions in whatever country they are selling the bike. With the air-fuel ration changed the bike would no longer pass the emission tests that the manufacturers have to.
  9. Astolfo

Astolfo Wicked Slow

Oddometer:
    ok, it makes sense. What are the repercussions, lower efficiency?
  10. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The benefits are better throttle response and low-end (rpm/throttle), and lower exhaust temperature. The repercussions are lower catalytic converter efficiency and possibly 1-2 mpg hit to gas mileage. It is not for street use according to the manufacturer (like Powercommander and Techlusion) and BMW may not approve.
    monkey wrench likes this.
  11. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I too noticed pronounced heat on my foot during a test ride taken last winter. It was a very nice and mild weather day, so I can't say about summertime temperatures.
  12. milo

milo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The worst of the heat seems to come from the catalytic converter, right ahead of the muffler. Good opportunity for someone to market a cat eliminator pipe.
  13. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't understand why your RT isn't the same?? Doesn't your RT have body work on it that greatly changes the airflow versus a GS with the jugs hanging out?
  14. Bill-66

Bill-66 I don't even know... Supporter

Oddometer:

:rofl

You've never had one before have you? NOTHING is BMW's fault...

By the way..the onus is on BMW? Did you notice the the jugs sticking out there when you were shopping, test riding? Or did it just strike you that the heat making part, was hanging out over your feet months into ownership?:lol3

Teasing..calm down..
    nk14zp likes this.
  15. Desert John

Desert John Desert John Supporter

Oddometer:
    I could tell that you were putting me on. This is GS/RT #9 but is LC #1. Jugs I'm used to (and like all kinds!) but radiators are something else. It's not a deal breaker, for sure

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  16. roger 04 rt

roger 04 rt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Richen the mixture and the cat temperature goes down, without having to replace it.
  17. def

def Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer:
    :thumb

Have you ever taken a quart of gasoline and thrown it on a fire? Big puff of flame and face-scorching heat.

Well, the flame is now contained inside the engine you are perched on top of....think about it...gasoline, engine right under your nose, explosions, movement forward, etc...

You think present day engine are bad? Carburetors used to have an external flame that got sucked into the engine for combustion...think about that for a while.

We're lucky that these motorcycles we ride don't cause third degree burns.

If the heat bothers you, maybe you should trade for a Porsche 911 or a Corvair.
  18. filterwrench

filterwrench Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree that the cat may be the cause of the heat.....along with the lean fuel mixture of course.....I had the xieds on my harley and really liked them in the hot summer weather.....mabey some of the guys with the aftermarket headers could give give an indication whether or not the heat on the right leg is still there after eliminating the cat....
  19. Byrdguy

Byrdguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another change on the WCs is the exhaust port is under the cylinder closer to your feet. the earlier versions had the exhaust port in the front of the head farther from feet and out in cooler air. That part of the pipe is the hottest part of the exhaust system.
  20. LordSmoke

LordSmoke Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
    I haven't noticed any excess heat, but I have only had mine in 91F. Will find out soon enough. Will be watching the exchange.