Heated gear advice

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by drtumolo, Feb 10, 2019.

1. drtumolo

drtumolo n00b

Oddometer:
    I just received a heated jacket liner from first gear and have a fit question. This is my first piece of heated gear and everything I read states it should fit "snug". My question is how snug? I can wear it with a t-shirt under it but it is tight across the shoulders and there is no way I could wear anything additional under it besides the t-shirt. I am thinking I need to go up one size but looking for advice from someone who has experience with heated gear.
  2. inspmark

inspmark Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mine are sized as my normal size. A T-shirt under it would be good. If your jacket fits correctly, it will hold it close to your body. You can also layer between it and your jacket for insulation.
  3. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    The last heated liner (my third) that I bought (this one on-line, and from a different manufacturer) fit like yours, and I exchanged it for the next size larger. While the liner should fit closely, I could see me tearing its seams while picking up the bike in the woods or just by doing basic maintenance like airing the tires, etc. Also, gain just a few pounds and that snug one is now in the too-tight and unusable category.

The next larger size for me still fit well without being bulky or too big.
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  4. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You also want as little between you and the liner as possible. So a t_shirt or other base layer is good.
    Shaolin likes this.
  5. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it is tight just standing then imagine what it will be like on the bike! I vote next size up..
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  6. (I^2)R/746

(I^2)R/746 Rider

Oddometer:
    ^ +1
  7. Switchglide12

Switchglide12 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I always have base layer and shirt then heated jacket. I normally wear large t-shirt and order Large heated jacket.
  8. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    one thin layer underneath. You may not want bare arms. Usually I have my arms covered. Not always. If I'm wearing a short sleeved t-shirt, I usually add cycling arm warmers.

If it's fine with a base layer, the size is probably good. If it's too tight, size up.

Anything beyond the base layer goes over the heated liner. For me that pretty much only means a wind/rain layer, though I've probably had insulation over it, and would again in cold enough conditions.
    TrashCan and shrederscott like this.
  9. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You say it is snug,is that when you are in riding position,or just normally standing?
    As stated above,you do not want it so tight that you risk tearing seams.

JR356
  10. bookmd

bookmd n00b

Oddometer:
    The heated jacket liner is supposed to fit a bit looser, like a jacket liner, lol. The (underlying product) company (warmnsafe) also makes a heat layer shirt that is supposed to be pretty snug for better heat transfer. I have both, and like the shirt better fwiw...
  11. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I like my electric vest to fit close to my body, not tight but snug enough that i can feel it against my undershirt

My electric liner fits a little more like a typical liner, and with it I don't wear any insulation between the heated jacket and the outer jacket
    Where with my vest I've worn a non heated liner for insulation.

The idea is to keep the heat close to your body, and a layer of insulation between you, the source of heat and the outside element.
  12. drtumolo

drtumolo n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. I decided to go up one size on the liner since it was snug just standing with it on.
    jdub likes this.
  13. lipsee

lipsee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi,, I have the 90watt warmnsafe liner,, I wear a base layer,, then I use an Knox armored vest with breast pad,, then the Warmnsafe liner,,, it works great!! I think the armorded vest is more important to be closer to your body then the ellecy liner and it still keeps me hot... mind you,it being 90watt does help.. Good luck youall just using the heated vests (armless) whats the point in letting your arms get cold,(but each to there own)Now that I am hooked on elecyy gear.The question now is do I try Battery on bike or separate battery...