heated gear

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by szramer, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    Got questions? You can call warm n safe and talk to the owner who is typically riding the world. Last time I talked to him he was in Budapest. Great heat!
    Uke and 1800cycledude like this.
  2. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Web Slinger

Oddometer:
    I rode with a tourmaster intake 3.0 (mesh) all seasons until it got destroyed a few months back in a crash. IF I put the rain liner in to block 90% of the cold air AND I used the hotwired jacket I could go down into the 30's. If it went lower than that I'd also throw on a thinsulate under layer. The coldest I've had to ride in was single digits as my bike was primary transportation while I fixed my car. The only problem I ever had was air creeping up the back of the jacket if I forgot to zip it into my pants.

I replaced the tourmaster with a Joe Rocket textile jacket and I'm pretty confident that I won't need a base layer anymore. There is no air getting through the jacket and it gets downright HOT with the heated liner on low at 40F (coldest we've seen in NC so far this year on the eastern coast area).
    1800cycledude and BoilerRealm like this.
  3. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    I must be really retarded. I put my bike away for the winter. Riding is no fun if you're freezing cold.
    1800cycledude likes this.
  4. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Inactive User

Oddometer:
    I don't think you are. I'm good down to about freezing, but after that the discomfort supersedes the fun for me, too. What usually takes my bikes off the road for the winter is road conditions. Even if there's no snow, the sand, salt and wet leaves tip the fun teeter-totter in the wrong direction.
  5. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    I used to ride late into the season with my Golding because it had that honking big windshield. Always stopped when the mercury hit freezing because we get lots of ice. I don't care about your tires or your boots, unless you have chains you don't get traction on ice.
    Uke, 1800cycledude and 1greenmachine like this.
  6. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Web Slinger

Oddometer:
    Bonus to living in NC is there are more days above 50F than not in what are typical winter months. No good reason to put the bike away since there's so many nice days to be had year round.
    bbanker and 1800cycledude like this.
  7. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    All issues can be addressed if one has the desire.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uke, LadyDraco, nk14zp and 5 others like this.
  8. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    ^^^

agreed.

I ride year round in Colorado. ....be flexible in where you ride. obviously icy days are not a good choice but I went years without 4 wheels and my average loss was 6 days that I had to rent a car.
    I sail year round in Colorado. If I do not have ice on the deck of my boat (or can't remove it) i'll sail. heck there are many days in the winter when I am the only boat on the lake, talk about peaceful.

I recreate year round in Colorado... did so in Alaska as well.

It is all about mindset and appropriate gear. (both are equally important. going out without one of them and you are guaranteed a bad time)
  9. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Totally agree.

I've found staying comfortable in sub freezing weather means not wearing "riding gear", but looking to hunting, commercial fishing, and snowmobiling gear.
  10. Tor

Tor Imported Norwegian

Oddometer:
    Using Warm'n Safe top and bottom, and a wireless remote. Work flawlessly.
  11. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I got the Kolpin bar mitts for $18 on Amazon. They fit over the hand guards on both bikes snugly but quite easily. Will need to make holes for the mirror stems.
  12. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Then get appropriate gear so you're not freezing cold. Too easy.
  13. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

I ride year round and went to heated gear about 7 years ago.

If any piece fails it will be replaced the next day.

A beautiful late fall or winter day with the roads all to yourself is so worth the cost of heated gear.
  14. matthew6279

matthew6279 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just purchased Venture heated jacket and pant liner and their touring glove. They are on sale. I just can't decide if I want heated socks or insoles and Gerbing or First Gear.

I like the venture stuff because it has built in heat controllers for each piece. For the socks or insoles I'll run a separate wire and controller.
  15. galejt

galejt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the W&S heated baselayer. Traded-in a jacket for it. The warmth it provides presents differently than the jacket. I wear it over a coolmax t-shirt that helps diffuse the localized heat from the wires.
    Very flexible. Just the two shirts under my Olympia Ranger jacket down to about 50. The combination of vents, heat or no heat accommodates varied climate conditions nicely. Plus I can add the OEM insulation to extend the temperature. The warmth just seems to ooze throughout the jacket in a most pleasing manner.
    Takes my mind off the cold to focus on not getting run over by some phone gabbing psych...uh soccer mom.

Also the gloves.
  16. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Wait...heated gear "down to 50"? I don't even break out the heated jacket until 40 or less.
  17. mossycreek

mossycreek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rode for about 5 years with my bike as primary transportation. One thing I like about my heated gear is the ability to adapt to outside temps very quickly without carrying tons of layers you have to shed as day warms. I have set of first gear with dual controls for years. I have gloves, both upper and lower liners with socks.

You really get funny looks riding a gold wind at -5 F in January. One mistake I made was getting a 90 watt jacket liner. When wearing full ensemble core gets too hot trying to keep hands warm. I recommend lower wattage jacked liner.
  18. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    The easy adaptability to changing conditions is one of it's main attractions for me. I only use jacket liner and gloves, but then the coldest temperatures I see are in the 20sF, positively hot compared to yours.

Actually I'd like to have a heated vest as an alternative. Then I could comfortably cover a warmer wide temperature range (e.g. low to mid 50sF up to low 80sF) with just vents and turning knobs. And maybe sliding arm warmers down as it crept into the 80sF.

People who only do recreational riding often don't understand. There it's often convenient to stop and add or remove a layer. Not always. E.g. not when making transitions between penetrating cool humid coastal conditions and hot dry inland ones. But stopping to add/remove layers isn't a good option when freeway commuting. Nor is arriving at work sweaty because you bundled up too much. Or freezing along the way because you didn't.
    TonyKZ1, 1800cycledude and mossycreek like this.
  19. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    52F this morning. Old Tourmaster jacket (without liner) over a T-shirt, canvas pants, Summer gloves with grips on low. No problem! If it had been ten degrees cooler or raining, I would have worn winter gloves and a heated jacket liner. If had been ten degrees cooler AND raining, I would have turned it on.

OTOH, if my GF would have been with me, she would probably have had heated seat and jacket on max
  20. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    I've got the same set up the Kanatsu Airvantage vest and heated grips. Being able to inflate the vest to keep it close to your body makes a huge difference. I didn't go with the controller just the on/off button.