heated gear

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by szramer, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use a first generation synergy jacket by Tourmaster. It originally had a controller that came out of the bottom of the jacket with a low,medium or high but I changed it out for a wireless controller from Warm N Safe. I use the jacket and heated grips and seat and have ridden in the single digits and was comfortable, of course it helps I'm riding a BMW R1200Rt with the fairing that knocks most of the wind off me.
    TonyKZ1 and 1800cycledude like this.
  2. Drop_Center

Drop_Center Long timer

Oddometer:
    My powerlet jacket is pretty weak and the glove liners are a joke. Found gerbings to be a lot better.
    1800cycledude likes this.
  3. LookingHard

LookingHard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Folks,

Have any of you talented folks ever considered putting up a poll on heated clothing? Personally I don't know how to but I would love to see one.....

LookingHard
    StandAndRide and 1800cycledude like this.
  4. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I recommend getting the highest wattage jacket liner you can find and pair that with a heat controller so you can regulate how much heat you get. It's better to have more heat than you need than to need more heat than you have.
    zouch, StandAndRide and 1800cycledude like this.
  5. jay547

jay547 Long timer

Oddometer:
    We got Mobile Warming vests which are battery powered. That way we could use them off the bike as well. At the time, our daughter was big into marching band so we were going to a lot of football games, parades, etc. and we would wear the vests on the colder days. We still do a lot of outdoor events so they often come in handy.
  6. mossycreek

mossycreek Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The problem I had was when running gloves, jacket liner, pant liner, socks. My gloves were plugged into jacked liner and ran off one side of controller. Pants socks of fother. My hands would get cold trying to keep from getting my upper liner too hot. If I was running just my gloves and Jacket and no lowers i controlled them separately and worked great
    GravelRider and 1800cycledude like this.
  7. Space Traveler

Space Traveler explorer

Oddometer:
    Here is my complete Conforteck heated gear setup.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    1800cycledude and mossycreek like this.
  8. shwaz

shwaz Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer:
    another +10 for Warm n' Safe.
    Call their phone number and you get to speak to the owner. He gave me a lot of advice on glove sizing that I'd never get from a bigger brand with a diverse product line. His stuff also gets rebranded for some of those others (Gerbing maybe?) but just buy from him. It's the real deal.
    Uke, Villac and 1800cycledude like this.
  9. robdes

robdes n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been using Gerbing products for about 20 years. Iast year I purchased a new vest, jacket liner and gloves and gave my original stuff to a friend and it still works great.

I'm not a real fan of the gerbingr/glyde digital controllers. Had one go bad when I needed it most. It was only a couple days old. They did replace it, but it took a while. I would recommend a electro mechanical first gear controller or similar. Appears to be more heavy duty and probably more dependable.

Heated gear is great if you wanna extend your riding season without wearing a ton of clothing.
  10. Ranger Jim

Ranger Jim Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    During the colder months, my outerwear is an Aerostitch 2 piece Roadcrafter that I've had for over 10 years. Under it I'll wear a Garbing (old model, back when the Gerbings owned it) vest with a controller. I used to use the Garbing heated gloves but got sick and tired of the wires so I went to heated grips with a set of Hippo Hands. With the heated grips and Hippo Hands all I need is my "normal" weight gloves (Aerostitch Elkskin Ropers). With this combination I've been good down to the low 30's. If it's colder than that, I add a fleece jacket over my vest and then I'm good to the mid-teens.
  11. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gerbing Jacket liner , Gerbing Gloves, Gerbing Pants with Gerbing/Glyde Dual digital controller.

Used the Jacket and Gloves on my ride to Alaska in 2017 on my KLR. I wear an LD Comfort base layer . Jacket and controller worked great, the gloves not so much, especially when wet. Worst day was low 30's rain/snow hands were wet but boiling warm. Upper body stayed acceptably warm, legs were cold. Purchased a heavyweight set of Merino wool long john pants, solved the problem of cold legs. I wear a good pair of wool socks and have a merino wool head sleeve (like a balaclava) which I wear under my helmet and inside my collar to keep the wind/cold off my neck. The digital controller worked fine.

I don't care for the heated pants, too bulky, so I haven't used them.

I have used this same setup on my FJR with similar results.

As someone pointed out previously, simple is better. I am transitioning to a BMW R1200GSA and was toying with controlling the heated gear using the EZCan and the wonderwheel but have decided that a simple direct to the battery lead is a better alternative. YMMV

Edit: forgot to discuss the pants
  12. motocopter

motocopter ˙˙˙ƃuᴉɥɔɹɐǝS

Oddometer:
    Started with a Tourmaster vest, but after two winters, I got the Tourmaster jacket liner.
  13. dkazzed

dkazzed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you guys ride in the snow? I have First Gear glove liners by Warm and Safe which work great and I have the heated jacket liner on order which should be here tomorrow. I also have Heidenau K66 four season tires but they were more meant for if I get caught in a snow storm but still have to get home kind of scenario. Friday morning there was icy snow on the road which managed to compact through the day even with just above freezing temperatures, and this morning was a loose powder snow drifts on the road which the tires probably would've done well on but it was on top of ice which my car with winter tires had trouble finding traction on last night.
  14. RobinSC

RobinSC n00b

Oddometer:
    My GS and Road Glide both have heated grips, which offer the convenience of adjustment for changing weather conditions and the advantage of burning off the moisture between whatever gloves I'm wearing and the grips when it's raining. I've been using an Aerostich Kinetsu Airvantage jacket liner for 3 years and really like it. There are a lot of choices for heated liners, so read lots of reviews before buying.
  15. pixilated

pixilated Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A lot of talk about the outer layers, but what's underneath makes a huge difference too. I've spent a number of years snowboarding the backcountry and the saying "cotton kills" has stuck with me.

If you sweat in your gear, it's no bueno. Moisture can get cold easily and isn't very comfy - even if you are warm. Poly and wool clothes reign supreme in this realm. They are lightweight, wick moisture, and can provide the same or better warmth with less bulk.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  16. gelandecanyon

gelandecanyon n00b

Oddometer:
  17. melt757

melt757 Mel757

Oddometer:
    I purchased Back Country Hippo Hands for summer in Alaska on a V-strom with heated grips and Barkbuster hand guards. About $90, a quality product. Easy on and off.
    https://www.hippohands.com/products/backcountry

Was able to use light insulated MechaniX Gloves most of the ride, occasionally adding a thin glove liner. I did put on my Girbing gloves ( never plugged them in) with rain and 30's temperature.

The Back Country is not a full cover mitt but I can also use them on my KTM 690 and 350 with bark buster style hand guards. Since they are not a full cover it is easy to get to all controls and ride will standing.

Also have Gerbing jacket and socks with controller.
    Bitte ein Bit and 1800cycledude like this.
  18. melt757

melt757 Mel757

Oddometer:
    I agree with pixilated. I use wool or wool blends for socks and shirts.
    zouch and 1800cycledude like this.
  19. Rougie

Rougie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Up here in the Great White North I equipped my KLR with Oxford heated grips - no gripes!. I have a locally made 12 jacket c/w controller. I know this will sound odd but lots of people put their multi layers of clothing on THEN put on the heated vest/jacket over top. I put one layer or underwear or long sleeve shirt then put the heated liner on. The idea is to keep me warm not to heat my outer riding gear.
    RedEX, pixilated and 1800cycledude like this.
  20. Glenvine

Glenvine n00b

Oddometer:
    Commuted, in the dark, -10F coldest day to date.
    Electric works great. Even on older bikes w/low output alternators. 180W is enough to heat jacket and gloves at higher RPM. Snowmobile suit works well. No armor but a cheap mesh jacket’s armored liner is easy to remove and install into suit. Knee and hip pads easy to install as well. Have had three heated jackets since 1990. Three different brands, all worked well. Newer jackets have more features. Sleeves never warm enough for my liking but I have no fairing. Glove connections on all three. No failures. Gloves vary in heat, find a dealer that will let you return gloves for different style. Separate controllers for gloves and jacket a good idea as jacket will get too hot with gloves at max which will probably be necessary below 20°F. This also goes for heated pants and socks. My feet looked like paninis because I couldn’t regulate heat or easily reach the plug (full on stupid).
    Where I live it’s always humid, even below 10°F. Visors ice up. Pinlocks, if properly installed work to about 25°F. Use 0.001” feeler stock to make sure the pinlock has no gaps. Most pinlock studs are cams so the seal is adjustable. When it’s too cold for pinlock I wear a GMax snowmobile helmet w/heated visor. Warms the head too.
    Can go cheap route on much of this stuff. Tried using mouth tube to breathe. It iced up. Made heated visor out of heating pad wiring (works fine on 12 vdc). Just clear tape wires to visor. Same goes for gloves and clothing if you can sew. Illuminated switches a must for night/low light conditions. Watts divided by Volts equals Amperage. 7.5 amps will support jacket, gloves and visor easily.
    Handle bar mitts are effective (I made Hippo Hands for Vetter in the early 70’s.) The controls are covered up which is a bit of a problem. Heated grips and seat do add comfort. Chinese heated seat insert broke quickly, but it was nice while it lasted.