heated gear

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by szramer, Oct 15, 2018.

1. CrawfishStu

CrawfishStu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:

I got good news for ya.

Gordon Gerbing and family are back in business doing things they way they should done.-> lhttps://www.gordonsheated.com/
    GravelRider likes this.
  3. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh I see. That makes perfect sense.
  4. David M.

David M. n00b

Oddometer:
    GoldWing 1800 rider.
    Here's what I do, after decades of riding:

Bear in mind, I've never bought electric gear because I have ALWAYS considered them way too expensive.

Even the super thin balaclava units keep my head, neck, and top of rear shoulders warm and cozy. If I can bring it up over the nose in super cold weather, all the better. Saves 3 days of sore throat.

Cotton thermal underwear if it's near 45 F or below. No synthetics for me next to the skin. Have you seen how they melt AND melt your skin if you go sliding???

Liner vest with heavy outer "3/4" coat, with armor of course. Firsgear Kiliminjaro, with liner, is my current favorite. Firstgear Meshtex for summer. They both keep you dry, as well.

Along with the thermals, thick jeans, and armored pants work fine in most any weather.

Fox socks keep feet and thighs warm and comfy almost to the knees. Outlast boots with Fox socks have not failed me yet. However, do NOT wear Fox socks or the Outlast during summer, especially those boots -- wear a different brand in the summer. Along about noon or so, your feet will be on FIRE. They're supposed to be some space-age material that sheds temps/normalizes, yada yada yada. Superb in cold, avoid like the plague in heat.

Gloves? Now that is a difficult one for me. If I ever do get electrics, the first will be gloves. I have about a dozen pair of non-electrics and no single pair is good for all-round winter weather. The warmest are not waterproof. The waterproof are good only down to about 30. Strongly considering the electric liners but still have the waterproof problem.

Hope this helps someone.
  5. hfbmw

hfbmw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Decades ago i had this BMW R65... i also was looking at the ads in the BMW MOA magazines. There was this fellow that had a kit that he was selling. However when I wrote to him about it he sent me a return mail stating that he couldn't make the kits anymore... YEP this was back in the early '80's. No email. So instead of a kit he sent me instructions on making my own electric vest. Are you ready to jot this stuff down?

Minimum of 150 feet of multi strand #27 wire. simple design actually. ONE long wire connected to the battery posts... Anyway cut the 150 feet of wire into 10 feet lengths. Sew them into a larger than your size vest or jacket. Making sure that your sewing the wire and doesn't over lap the wires. Solder the next 10 foot length and keep sewing into the vest. When starting the wire sewing start into a pocket... Ending wire also into the same pocket.

In that pocket is where you add #14 wire zip cord... then add a 2 wire plug attachment that plugs into a 2 wire plug that is attached to the battery.

The R65 I had to tweak the Regulator.. however with the K bikes no need to do that..

At a traffic light waiting for the Green Light and the electric vest is pushing 90 watts... However I don't know if it was that high...

All sorts of ways to keep warm.. eh?
  6. ADW

ADW 'tard bike restos

Oddometer:
    Haven't read the whole thread to see if this has been mentioned yet, but if you're wearing a heated jacket as a liner to your regular jacket, do NOT wear long sleeves on a synthetic undershirt/regular shirt. You WANT to have the heated jacket touching your skin. Much warmer that way!
  7. Lowndes

Lowndes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    TourMaster Synergy 2.0, Vest, Gloves, and innersoles for the boots, all on separate controllers, at very reasonable prices. Individual components, controllers and cables are available for whatever setup you want. I've been running these for two seasons now, starting the third. NO problems with any of it. The vest goes over aT-shirt at most, as someone else said. Then the gloves if it is not warm enough, then the innersoles. The gloves warm the backside of your hands and the heated grips warm the inside. And if that isn't warm enough, put on your rain suit over everything. Well done in 30 min.

A helmet skirt does WONDERS for warmth and noise, too.
  8. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:
    I use a summer heat our shirt under my jacket.

The ability to add or take off heat sure beats trying to figure out how much clothing to start you ride with.

This ride started a little cooler, but warmed up to a nice 30ish.

[​IMG]
  9. LadyDraco

LadyDraco KillerSmileIHazIt !! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Gerbings user here..I ride a Valkyrie , so the power to run electrics isn't a problem.

Rode for many years with out heated gear. Bundled up like the kid on a "Christmas story"
    Hard to move and look around well while riding.
    We bought our first sets back in 2001 Jacket liner and gloves..
    Sent the liner back to change the hook up to coax from dog tails ,when they changed that.
    Back in 06 .
    Have had them also do a sew up in a few places and replaced the zipper once. Back in 2010 .

Bought the socks, outer pants "union ridge" back in 2006 . Every thing hooks up easy .
    I have gone through 3 controllers over the years.
    On the 3rd one , right now I snagged from Warm n safe 3 yrs ago .. Works great with gerbings..

I'll only use the socks when it's in the teens to single digits.. Or night riding...Toasty feet are awesome..
    I'll start using the outer pants in a few weeks..
    Right now it's the gloves and Jkt. liner ...

The coldest I have ridden in was in the -8* ..
    I didn't like how weird the tires felt at that temp. Very hard..
    6* is my cut off now..

The photo . I had left the farm it was nice out. Mid Dec. By the time I got back,
    I was riding in 5+" of snow.. Mate had plowed the driveway for me..
    Not the first time I had gotten caught in the white stuff ,and will not be the last .I'm sure.
    [​IMG]

PS... IMHO adding heated gear to a bike, is one of the best investments you'll make.. It's like riding smarter.. No bulk ..
    GravelRider, nk14zp and TrashCan like this.
  10. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just browsed this entire thread and see some comments were made regarding stator output but I think its pretty important.

I have warm n safe gloves, jacket (90w), and pants with the dual wireless controller. I am happy with the setup.

I put everything on (except pants) when its going below 60. And plug in at 50F. At 45F I am likely max temperature especially for long rides.

But my old F800GS couldn't power all those with heated grips on high for very long without needing a bump-start the next time I turned her off.

You need to make sure your charging system can handle the load. Now Im riding R1200GSA and no issues at all with power.
    lexaria, LadyDraco and nk14zp like this.
  11. mtlben

mtlben n00b

Oddometer:
    I am an FJR owner and wanted an all-around solution with only one jacket.

About 4 years ago I bought a KLIM Apex (unlined Gore-Tex jacket) with a first gear heated liner, so I would have a nice solution for hot, dry, wet & cold weather with only one jacket.

It turns out that with a jacket with zero thermal insulation, when the temperature gets close to freezing point the heated liner can't keep up with the heat loss and it start having very hot areas where your body has a good contact with the heated pads, but I was getting cold in the other areas where there are no heating elements. An odd mix of hot/cold that shifts depending on your body position.

I found the solution by accident during a ride with miserable cold & rainy conditions. Since visibility was very poor, I decided to wear my old safety yellow, thin rain jacket on top of my black Gore-Tex jacket. The extra layer and air pocket trapped inside started acting as in insulation layer and suddenly my jacket turned into what felt like a thick towel fresh out of the dryer. Now I wear the rain jacket over my KLIM when the temperature drops below 9-10C.

Something to be aware of if you buy an unlined outer shell and plan using it in cold weather.

...Ben...
    nk14zp likes this.
  12. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    is there a shopping list of required cables and such to wire the bike?
  13. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

Most times it comes with the gear.

Cycle Gear also has just about everything you may need.
    LadyDraco and AwDang like this.
  14. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. JV1

JV1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Been commuting year-round for 30 years in Philly area. The ride, usually on my naked Kaw Vulcan, is only 20 minutes so you can't get cold for very long, but yes, you can get very cold for a few minutes. Have the full Gerbing heated stuff from 20-15 years ago (socks and boot liners, pants, jacket, gloves) and they will keep you warm but are only necessary for really cold days or for longer time in the saddle. About 10 years ago I discovered that an office shirt, then high neck fleece, then a hooded LL Bean down jacket kept me very warm on most commutes combined with LL Bean down gloves. The hood really makes a difference and will fit snugly between my hair and the foam of my helmet. My legs? Well they are tough and can withstand rigamortis type of cold for a few minutes and are the only thing on me that gets cold, especially my knees. Somehow my feet stay cool but not too bad. Anyway, I went from mostly electric to mostly "down" and it's a lot easier and works great for shorter trips but the Gerbing gear will keep you very warm over your entire body for long hauls. If going full electric, make sure totally unplug it the last 5 minutes of your trip as it can eat your battery. Oh yeah, also have had heated grips but they are only good for mildly cold weather, like down to 45 degrees or so. The down gloves are miraculously warm and I can see how ducks don't seem to mind very cold weather as that down really is a great insulator. PS if it's snowing, I take this thing called my Saab convertible which gets very warm even with the cloth top.:jack
  16. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Love those blue pipes Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    I came up with something similar, using the four wires stripped out of a ten foot telephone extension cord. Al four, end-to-end, sewn up and down a mesh safety vest, with zip cord attached as above, created a 70W heated vest that worked well for me for a couple of years. I wore it under too many layers one morning and the wires overheated, melting their insulation off. The vest still worked but I had little stripes of melted plastic on my clothes. I still sometimes carry this vest for emergency use as it bundles up to almost nothing.
  17. V-Stormer

V-Stormer Bush Basher

Oddometer:
    I'm a long time Gerbing Jacket Liner user. Absolutely love it. The newer technology with wider bands of finer gauge wire woven into the fabric heats up faster and is better at distributing the heat more evenly. Still, there can be some spots warmer than others, but overall it keeps me warm. I find it's better with long sleeve t-necks underneath on the arms or my arms can get cool due to the wind. But the collar and core areas are great. Because of the design, it's a bit thinner than some, but still bulkier than I'd like. So I got a Klim Badlands Gore-Tex Pro shell I wear over top to keep the outer layer as thin as possible. It blocks enough wind, but it's tight fitting, so in the coldest temps it can bleed through the breathable membrane and I have to put something windproof in the front protector pad pockets. (Foil bubble wrap insulation works great.) If there was more air space between the layers (read, if I was thinner :D), that probably wouldn't be necessary.

Overall, I love the heated liner jacket and wear it as a windbreaker when I'm off the bike. I just wish they used a nice microfiber outer shell material, smaller connectors and more flexible/smaller connector wires. Also, wish they'd put zippers on all the pockets. But regardless . . . I'd buy one again in a heartbeat.

As for hands and legs, I use heated grips (a must!) with hand guards in front . . . and if I'm going to be on a long ride or touring, I have Gerbing heated insoles. I find with the insoles, my legs and butt don't need any heat. As long as the ends of my extremities are warm, I have windproof pants on, and the heated jacket liner on, I could ride forever. (or very long distances) If it's so cold that I'd get chilled riding more than a couple of hours on a bike even with heated gear on, I just take the truck instead.

I should add that I've had the Gerbing jacket for about 10 years now and it's still working fine and in decent shape. A few stiches have been needed here and there over the years, but nothing serious. Plus, I use the portable Gerbing dual-controller which I can use with whichever jacket or bike I like. I find this controller works best to reduce draw on my DR350se which doesn't have much power output to begin with. I just plug the DR into the battery charger every time I get home after using the jacket while riding it.
  18. pdofak

pdofak grinin' robot

Oddometer:
    I can vouch for the Tourmaster synergy jacket liners. I've had a couple for a decade. My wife commandeered one and uses it whenever it isn't balmy. Living in AK gives plenty opportunity for testing cold wx gear.
    The carbon fiber heat is even and without hotspots. They are priced nicely. Only come with a controller. (Must have a controller.) I have ridden in the teens and still couldn't use high of the three speeds for more than a few minutes.
    The biggest secret is to stop (not reduce) airflow. Be windproof by being waterproof. Then add insulation. That's why bar mitts are so effective.
    Anyway, there are several solutions out there. HTH
    Bigbob1 likes this.
  19. rio13

rio13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gerbing jacket liner and gloves for me. My GSA has awesome heated grips and hand guards with extensions that work well but the gloves help to keep the fingertips warm. Great product!
  20. Beairmo

Beairmo Keeping it real Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since this thread seems to be getting a lot of interest, here is more info as to how I power my heated gear. Only because I have used a few different setups and this one is the best so far.

First, I have a Warm N Safe coax outlet installed on left side of bike.
    https://www.warmnsafe.com/collections/accessories-cables/products/coax-jack-panel-mount

Then I use a cable that has spiral extension. With this I can easily stand up and get on/off bike while plugged in. And if I forget to unplug it just pulls out with no damage. I can't find where I bought it but Revzilla has similar cables.

I use the Warmnsafe wireless controller which is Velcro'd to my GPS holder. But I could put it in my pocket or tank bag as it is battery powered. And the batteries last at least 1 year..

I also have a Neutrino power distribution module and in the past tried to use it as a controller. I had a yellow and red power coax coming out under the seat then used the app on my iphone to control the current output. But that was a pain to adjust and required glove removal so I went with the wireless and it works excellent.

I sincerely hopes this helps those interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    StandAndRide likes this.