1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Heated Gear

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wlfman, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just purchased a Mobile Warming Heated Vest and Heated gloves. They run off of rechargeable Li Ion batteries. Charge will last up to 10 hours. The vest has three heating panels two for the chest and one for the back. The gloves heat the back of the hands and all fingers. With my FZs low Amp output = low extra power I like the idea of not having to plug into the bike and therefore being "connected" to the bike. Plus I don't need multiple connection systems for my two bikes. And an added benefit: I can use the gear while away from the bikes.

http://www.mobilewarminggear.com/2010MW/enff/ie/classicmw.html
    http://www.mobilewarminggear.com/2010MW/enff/ie/technology.html

The Big Brown Truck of Happiness just dropped them off. I've had them long enough to ensure fit and did turn them on and they heat up QUICK. Batteries on the charger now and I will probably give them a good testing on my 120 mile commute in the morning (low-mid 30s now on my commute). If not defiantly will test Sat in the mountains.

I'll post a full review when I test them out. -- SEE REVIEW at post #16
  2. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am curious how many hours you get out of the battery. If you get 10 hours, I might have to get one for deer hunting. Looking forward to your review.
  3. BikerGeek99

BikerGeek99 Horizon Chaser

Oddometer:
    The wife got me one of their jackets for Christmas last year.

So far I've used it exactly once, but it worked great the final ~ 140 miles or so in temps right around 40 riding at highway speeds.
  4. SAS Mayhem

SAS Mayhem Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been eyeing those too, please do keep us in the know.

Cheers
    Ron
  5. jefmad

jefmad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How is the sizing? Saw something that the jackets run a little small. Trying to figure out what size to order.
  6. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wear XL in all my motorcycle jackets as well as t-shirts. I ordered a XL vest and it fits fine. You want heated gear to be snug so that it "hugs" the body and therefor warms you better. As for the gloves I went by there sizing chart :
    <table width="50%"><tbody><tr><td>HAND MEASUREMENT</td> <td>MAN SZIE</td> </tr> <tr> <td>6" to 7"</td> <td>XS</td> </tr> <tr> <td>7" to 8"</td> <td>S</td> </tr> <tr> <td>8" to 9"</td> <td>M</td> </tr> <tr> <td>9" to 10"</td> <td>L</td> </tr> <tr> <td>10" to 11"</td> <td>XL</td> </tr> <tr> <td>11" to 12"</td> <td>2XL</td> </tr> <tr> <td>12" to 13"</td> <td>3XL</td></tr></tbody></table> My measurement was 8.25" I ordered Med and they are fine, but if I was closer to the 9" I would probably go with Large.
  7. jefmad

jefmad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the help Wlfman
  8. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    The vest says it uses 1amp at 7.4 volts (i.e. 7.4 watts). A typical vest uses about 50 watts. Looking at the picture, this kinda makes sense since the heating areas are more limited than a typical vest. But 7.4 watts just doesn't seem like much power. My heated bib use 30 watts. But my heated bib also keeps me warm enough that I generally cycle it on and off, so I could see being warm with less power.

The specs also say it comes with one 2.2Ah battery. It seems like if it is running full on you'd get just over 2 hours out of the battery (if you ran it completely down).

Now, the numbers don't matter if it works in the real world. But I am curious to see your review of how it performs because the numbers seem like it won't produce much heat and won't last too long. Not trying to pee on your new gear either - I really hope it works. The specs just look suspect. But I'll take real world testing over numbers in a brochure any day.

Edit - the brochure actually says 15 watts, but I'm not sure how they're getting that with the other specs.
  9. davidji

davidji bike curious

Oddometer:
    up to 10 hrs. That's for the low setting. Not sure how they get 15W from a 7.4V/1A battery though. Curious how it performs in the real world.
  10. causef0rconcern

causef0rconcern Rift Explorer

Oddometer:
    Watching this thread for a comprehensive review....

Just found all Mobile Warming gear on sale at motorcyclesuperstore. The LTD max leather gloves are $234 shipped...not bad, if they work. I ride/commute/tour year 'round in the Pacific Northwest and need something totally waterproof with a shot of heat every now and then. Battery gear seems to be right for me, as I can see myself enjoying a warmed torso and hands while waking up at camp in the 20s/30s.

I'm also curious to hear about the stitching and material quality, as I'll be taking these gloves on and off 10 times a day in the city and dual sporting with them.
  11. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody have any updates on this product? I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on some electric gear in the next week or so. Really curious about this battery stuff, especially for my wife to use. She'd probably be wearing it at work!
  12. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think this thread is actually the same product: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175232

Check out the last couple pages for some long term reviews. They seem generally positive which, frankly, surprises me given the specs. But I put more weight on the real world reviews (although some were in a non-motorcycle setting).
  13. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    chest panels from a battery powered heated garment is kind of a waste. The wind kinda knocks it around. Lower back heat is much better and a smaller panel can usually last longer.

This has been y experience using a few different types of battery powered heated garments.

I settled on the jett vest for this reason.
  14. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    The product in that thread is not the same as this one

This one is for Mobile Warming Gear (ANSAI)
  15. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually if you buy the correct size gear it works great. Heated vest/jackets should have a snug fit. Which would mean that the wind doesn't "knock" it around.
  16. Wlfman

Wlfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can finally give a real world review on these gloves and vest.

120 Miles
    80-85 MPH Intersate riding
    NON-Faired Motorcycle with no wind protection for hands either. (Yamaha FZ1)
    Temps 32F - 38F
    Wind Chill at 80-85 MPH speeds = 11F - 20F (aprox)

The gear has 4 power settings:
    25%
    50%
    75%
    100%

What I was wearing.
    Base layer - Under Armor Winter Shirt and Pants
    Jeans
    Heated Vest
    Sweatshirt
    1-PC Aerostich Roadcrafter
    Wool Socks
    Sidi Waterproof Boots
    Heated gloves
    Shoei X-11
    Neoprene lower face protection

I started out with the gear at 100% and ended up pulling over after about 30 miles to turn the vest down a notch to 75%. That is one disadvantage to this Vest. The battery which has the setting control on it is in the lower left hand pocket. This means you cant easily get to the control. I left the gloves at 100% the entire trip. The gloves have the battery/control on the topside so you can easily change the setting.

I was actually fairly comfortable the entire ride. With the exception of my toes. My fingers got a little cold but not so much that it was uncomfortable at all. Again, this is on a bike that basically has no wind protection at all. I think if I was on a fully faired bike I could very easily have turned the vest down to 25-50% as well as the gloves. I think if you live way up North where it gets really cold, you would be better served by some gear that plugs into the bike and has higher output. But those of us down here in the South where it doesn't get that cold this stuff will be fine

I also left the gear on after getting to work to see how long the batteries lasted at the settings they were on. the gloves at 100% lasted 3h15m the vest was at 100% for about 40m and then switched to 75% and lasted a total of 4h40m. All batteries were charged up 8 days ago and had been used about 10 minutes at that time and then left in my gear closet until this morning.

Based on this one ride I would give them 4.5 stars out of 5
    If the controls were more easily accessible I would give them a 5

I'll post a long time review after I've used them for the season.
  17. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I was hoping to hear! Now if only it was available locally and I wouldn't have to wait until next week to have some...
  18. malokam

malokam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Wlfman: Dude!! Thanks for that mini review. I have been banging my head against the screen looking for "Good" heating gear. and was unsure as of which way to go. I will get these instead of bike mounted. :clap:clap
  19. causef0rconcern

causef0rconcern Rift Explorer

Oddometer:
    Looks like most of the big websites have the gloves on sale right now....
  20. studad

studad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm impatient. I bought gerbings today. May still get this battery stuff for the bride though.