Heated gloves: Is this a stupid idea or not?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ZappBranigan, Dec 3, 2018.

1. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Way back in the mid 1970s I had a paper route delivering the morning paper in my Littleton, CO suburb (the now defunct Rocky Mountain News.) Most of the times it was a great gig but in those days we had some hellaciously cold winters. One Sunday morning I had a typically large Sunday paper to deliver to my route and my cheapo Montgomery Wards or Sears gloves just didn't cut it - and I ended up with mild frostbite on both hands.

Not a huge deal as childhood experiences go, but what it means is that ever since then my hands have been unusually susceptible to cold. I carry gloves even in warm weather.

I ride year 'round but my hands tend to get REALLY cold. And heated grips (both my bikes have them) seem to only make my palms sweat while leaving the back of my hands and fingertips still cold to the point of numbness.

I have a Gerbing heated jacket liner with attachments for gloves, but I'm worried about trying to pull too many amps from my battery.

So here's my idea/question: The issue with heated gear, especially gloves, is how to get the power to the gloves. Going through the bike's alternator to the 12v powerlet plug THROUGH the jacket and into the gloves seems to be rather wasteful and inefficient.

So I was thinking .... you know how the most current cell phones don't need to be actually plugged in in order to charge? I wonder if some enterprising company could come up with some system like that for heated gloves. That is, have a glove with a heating element built in, and then somewhere on the glove have a flat metal connection that matches with a flat connection on the grip of the handlebar so that when you grip the handlebar (which has an electrical power source - just like a heated grip) it powers the glove.

Now, I CAN'T be the first person to ever think of that, can I? The great thing about it (to me) is that it eliminates the need for long wires running through a jacket and (in theory, at least) it should be as easy to install as a set of heated grips.

So what are the flaws in this idea?
  2. Bikedude987

Bikedude987 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're talking enough amps to power the gloves then wireless charging (like most modern phones) is out. You'd need a physical contact. Aligning those contacts and keeping them clean and conductive is now the problem. You'd have to have some way of gripping the bars the exact same way each time and making sure the contacts actually contacted. Likely you'd want to sense this and control when the contacts are 'live' so that you don't short out everything that touches them (ungloved hands?). Lots of technical and safety hurdles for something that works really well as a hardwired connection.
    DeepBarney and kwthom like this.
  3. clogan

clogan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sympathize with anyone having cold-sensitive hands/feet.

At least on my jacket, the wires for the gloves are on a separate circuit, with separate controls. I often turn my jacket heat off, and run only the glove heat...unless it's really, really cold.

In any event, I find that the most effective hand warmer for riding is a set of handlebar mitts/muffs, aka Hippo Hands.
  4. GrumpyStuart

GrumpyStuart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have heated glove liners that I use under an old set of gloves or mitts, depending on the temperature. The nice thing is that they heat your hands from the outside, rather than just keeping the palm warm, this makes a difference at 120kmph when it is -15c. With HippoHands over top you don't even need a glove, just the liner.
    Chuck Pryce, SmittyBlackstone and ACR like this.
  5. kwthom

kwthom Retiree apprentice - willing to learn

Oddometer:
    Patch likes this.
  6. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Zapp, the "old" Gerbing Heated Clothes company used to make, and sell, a set of wires that did what you previously thought of doing.....plug into the bike, run the wires up through the riding jacket, and plug into the heated gloves.

If you contact the Gerbing "family"...now at www.GordonsHeated.com they may still have some of those wires laying around.

Next......Zapp....you never mentioend what BIKE you are riding, and how much Stator or Alternator output that bike has.

Most "modern" bikes can easily handle a heated jacket liner AND a pair of heated gloves. You must not be riding a Goldwing 1800, as you would not even bring the question up then...as the output on Goldwing from 2006 to 2017 is 1300 watts, or 110 amps.

SO.......what bike ARE you riding ?
    Chaostrophy likes this.
  7. Rollin'

Rollin' does it come in black?

Oddometer:
  8. motor_psycho

motor_psycho Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. CaptCapsize

CaptCapsize Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't have a problem with cold hands, but the best solution I found is using Hippo Hands (Over Bar Mits) and heated Grips. It blocks the wind and creates a warm pocket for your hands while riding. I gave mine to a friend who was riding to the North Shore in Alaska. He said they were great in really cold and wet weather.
    SmittyBlackstone, Hi-De-Ho and sieg like this.
  10. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 HippoHands
    SmittyBlackstone and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  11. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another for Hippohands, or any decent knock-off. Hideously ugly, but incredibly effective.
  12. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another vote for HippoHands,......... BUT.......there is an alternative.

Yes, I have used HippoHands back more than 40 years ago (color me olde), but more recently I have found that using any quality WIND blockage device to keep the cold air off, or away from, the hands, really helps, even more so if you have heated grips.

On my '17 Wee-3 XT, and even on my wife's '17 Rebel 500 ABS.....and now ordered for my '12 Wee-2 Adventure, I have been using Moose Racing foam hand guards.
    These are about $ 22.00 for the pair, can be installed in one minute...removed in 30 seconds, can lay flat, or folded, and put into a saddlebag, or left on the bike year round.

I "highly" recommend these. And several of our "vendors" here sell these......I get mine from ProCycle, in Springfield, OR. www.procycle.com

moose-handguards-1.jpg moose-handguards-7-tb.jpg

Yukon and NWT trip 002.jpg Yukon and NWT trip 011.jpg
    Scott Parish and Rollin' like this.
  13. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't think the inneficiencies you mention , exist. I rarely run gloves and liner above 50%. I run them off a coax from the battery, and I have hand guards, which makes a difference. One thing on powerlet outlets: If they are on a canbus system, they're limited to 5 amps (maybe 60 watts total).
  14. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    I have the same problem. Old frostbite and smashed fingers way too many times.
    Heated grips and bar mitts keep me comfy down to 10F in summer gloves.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  15. Cloud Roamer

Cloud Roamer i do it in the road.

Oddometer:
    To the original poster.
    Good idea modified that idea by making it inductively heated like the stoves
    some Ferris (Steel) weave in the gloves
    contact the magnetic field around the handlebar instant Heat.
    M->
  16. shupe

shupe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nicola Tesla believed electrical power could be transmitted wirelessly, but didn't live long enough to get it working.
    I won't say he's wrong, so I guess nobody as smart as him has come along yet.
  17. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They make battery powered heated gloves now. Easy solution.
  18. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    Everything I've read about battery powered gloves is that they don't last long, at least not the kind that use rechargeable batteries.
  19. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having both a positive and negative metal strip on each hand grip strikes me as asking for trouble.

Having a single metal strip on each hand grip, one negative and the one on the other grip positive might be slightly less so as shorting out would be less likely and each contact strip could be larger. You'd still have to plug the gloves into jacket and have wiring in the jacket to reach both arms. But you'd be able to get on and off the bike without plugging in. In fact you could run jacket heat off the same power source.

But... still strikes me as a sketchy mouse trap. Hippo hands and heated grips are pretty fool proof.
    sieg likes this.
  20. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    it's amazing how many people will still suggest the things you proactively rejected in your question!!
    wtf... anyway.

it's great idea. It's the first time I hear it, and I hope you find a practical and safe solution.