heated grip controller

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by dpike, Feb 29, 2020.

1. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'm considering disconnecting my grip heaters from the bike and wiring them to an oxford controller, any potential issues with this that maybe i'm not seeing ?
  2. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    The only thing I can think of at the moment :drink is that BMW might have programmed things to not allow 100% duty-cycle/power to the heaters.
    So ... maybe "low" is 40% duty cycle and "high" is 80% duty cycle and not running wide-open.

If you were to hook them to an Oxford controller then you could run them at 100% duty-cycle (i.e. wide-f*ck'n-open) and that might conceivably be bad...

Other than that ... my issues would be cosmetic-OCD issues ... :doh
  3. GPD323

GPD323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would use the Oxford wiring harness as a stand alone. Attach to the battery with the ring connectors and run the harness up to the grips. I have 3 Oxfords on multiple bikes. When my C14 heated grips go south as in worn out I will go with the Oxfords. Mama kawi wants $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the stock heated grips.
  4. dpike

Oddometer:
    i ended up using the oxford controller and grips. these are easily 3 or 4 times hotter than my factory grips. i think a clean install could have been done using the oxford controller and wiring it to the factory heated grips, it just would have required a little more patience than i was willing to put into it. cannibalizing the left grip for the ring to pin the switch cluster and shaving the OD of the throttle tube were probably the most time consuming parts.
    Benduro likes this.
  5. bmwroadsterca

bmwroadsterca RadioFlyer

Oddometer:
    The ZFE may throw an error if it monitors the presence of continuity to the grip heaters and continuity is lost. Almost for sure it would throw an error if the grip heaters were not connected to it and you tried to turn on the heaters using the OEM handlebar switch or if it was accidentally switched on. Also recall that in the event that the bike's charging system is unable to maintain sufficient voltage the ZFE intervenes to shut down the grip heaters. This functionality would be lost (but you might not care).
  6. dpike

Oddometer:
    yeah, i was curious if it would pop a code or not, after 10 minutes idling in the garage seemed fine but i'll get a chance to put some miles on it over the weekend.

maybe i should pretend to work from home ...
    :beer
    BigBrian likes this.
  7. k-dmitriy

k-dmitriy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    all'll be worked. i use original heated grips with oxford control, and original heated grips switch with additional lights (lights work always on or flash like turn signals). just cut the wires near heated grips, one part connect with controller, other with led lights.

ps: original heated grips with oxford control won't get hotter
    dpike likes this.
  8. dpike

Oddometer:
    I think in the case of mine I would get additional heat. the limitation of my heat seems to be software related, i'm apparently in a lucky batch of vin numbers that high = luke warm at best. the heat on most other f8's and f7s i've been on is 3x what mine put out. i even paid a dealer tech to look at it and update the software, same heat. he said it seemed to be a bigger issue with 1200s but he's had a few f8s like that as well.

i like the idea of using the button from the switch for aux lights, i'm assuming the pulse is low and the steady is high, i wonder if the pulse in the low would be enough for steady power to a led rather than that halogen. if not maybe some capacitor and resistor work and even it out ?
  9. k-dmitriy

k-dmitriy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i use 2 aux lights 10w each (on video i used H4 bulb), pulse looks the same. I suppose ZFE don't check minimal Amps that heated grips using, or it's set to very low just
    to identify an error, and only send a predefined pusle no matter what the current.
    additional heat... very strange. heated grips worked like bulbs, at home i connect oxford and original heated grips directly to battery, without controller, and oxford
    were more warmer. controllers (oxford or ZFE logic) only change the pulse (ZFE: 1 pulse and always on; oxford: 3 different pulse + always on), not amperage. but it's very simple to check, just unplug one grip socket (just 2 screw for left) and connect directly to battery and other one should work as is - if ZFE limit the current than one grip should be warmer.
  10. k-dmitriy

k-dmitriy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    original 1.2A (was 1.4A while it cold), 16.8W - I can hold it
    oxford 2.1A (hot/cold), 30W - I can't hold it
    physics is simple - more current consumption more heat. so oxford almost 2x hotter

WIN_20200307_205549.JPG

WIN_20200307_205951.JPG