Heated Grips

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by Ignore Amos, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Ignore Amos

Ignore Amos bruised, dazed & confused

Oddometer:
    I've seen a few advertised like Hot Grips www.hotgrips.com Coming from a GS I'm spoiled and want them on my 9fiddy. I've seen them for as little as $20 and as much as $150, any thoughts or suggestion as to a brand?
  2. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN

Oddometer:
  3. Ignore Amos

Oddometer:
    I'd like to go low cost route..after buying BartKims bike you can understnd why,

Did you just put them under the stock grips? did you use a heatroller or just the standard 3 way switch? lastly, where did you mount the switch?
  4. Chadd

Chadd I live in the wrong place

Oddometer:
    I ordered the KTM heated elements and installed them under a pair of stock grips. I put about 3 wraps of 3M electrical tape on the bare bar before putting the heating element on too keep the bar from sucking up all the heat off of that side "saw this recommended somwhere". Seems to have worked very well and both sides seem to heat the same amount like that.

I also purchased a small 3 position rocker switch from NAPA instead of using the big old metal toggle that comes with the kit.

I think the KTM heaters were around $20 from my local dealer. The switch was under $3 I think and was well worth the extra cost of purchasing, it looks and fits the dash much better than the kit switch.
  5. MonkeyPlunger

MonkeyPlunger Detroit 9fiddy adventurer

Oddometer:
    I too am looking to install heated grips on my 950. I purchased the KTM kit for about $20 bucks. I did not like the crappy switch and resistor that it comes with. They look like they will corrode and eventually fail or short in damp conditions, neither have any water resistance at all. I have been looking to add a switch that will look like OEM, and does not look like a cobble job.

I did find one possible location for the switch that can be achieved using oem parts. Look at the throttle and kill switch/control block assembly on the handle bar. If you look closely underneath the kill switch you will see a small cover. On the European models (according to the parts list that came with the bike) a 3 way switch is located there, very similar to the turn signal switch on the opposite side of the handle bar. This 3 way I think is used for parking lights / running lights. It looks like the perfect switch and location for a heated handgrips.

I am trying to track down the switch assembly. My ktm dealer says they cannot get any parts that are used on euro only models. I have noticed that the control blocks (throttle, kill, turn, horn, brigths) on both sides of the handle bars look identical to ones used by other motorcycles. I suspect that there is a single manufacturer of these controls that supplies the same parts to various OEMS. My next step is to try to track down the switch through another motorcylce brand. If anyone has any input please let me know.
  6. Xfool

Xfool Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with the dual-star kit. I did not wrap my bars with electrical tape and it works just fine. Wrapping with friction tape is probably better but not necessary.

I put the switch on the 1/2 strip just above the speedometer. Drill the hole from the headlight side, there are a number of enforcement ribs behind the panel and you don't want to hit those and make sure you leave enough width for the switch. The KTM accessory wire will plug right on to the switch.

Chadd's got a hot tip about the NAPA switch. The switch that comes with the dual-star kit is pretty ugly.
  7. Flanny

Flanny Flanny-it-up!

Oddometer:
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, the World, the Universe
    Hey Guys...wrapping you bars with electrical tape is a BAD idea...Over time the glue will turn to goop and your grips will spin...And then you'll have amess to clean up, and a potentially dangerous situation...
  8. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Symtec grip heaters, although not on my KTM. I believe they are the same as what Dual-Star sells:

http://www.casporttouring.com/store...Product_Code=16025&Category_Code=heated_grips

They've worked great and the two position rocker switch basically mimics the levels of heat you get out of BMW factory heated grips which also have a H and L setting. I've found no need for a heat troller and the grips have parallel elements of different wattage, which gets around the cludgy resistor setup.

I used 1" heat shrink tape on the left side to provide a little insulation from the bare bar, although the two sides do put out different levels of heat to compensate for the throttle tube on the right vs. the bare bar on the left side. Works perfectly for me.

The switch mounts in a hole and looks OEM:

[​IMG]

(The display above the switch is a voltmeter for monitorying electrical system draw.)

- Mark
  9. mark h

mark h n00b

Oddometer:
    It is indeed the light switch in the UK - if you want one, I can get you a price from my local dealer?

M
  10. Ignore Amos

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    ThIs just might be the ticket! like that rocker switch
  11. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, MICN

Oddometer:
    Where'd you get that rocker switch?

JG
  12. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's what ships standard with the Symtec grip heater kit. The picture on the CAST web site doesn't show it, but it is in the description.

I have heard that the Dual-Star kit is the same. DS's web site picture shows the clunky metal toggle but I don't know what they actually ship with. In any event, CAST has it for cheaper, so I'd just use them.

You do need a little clearance behind the rocker switch - I'm recalling maybe an inch or so.

- Mark
  13. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    I bought the kit from a Polaris snowmobile shop and that is the same rocker switch it had.
  14. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    dude, you live in Tuscon and ride to Mexico. :lol3
  15. TIM I.

TIM I. and some dry white toast

Oddometer:
    i use the aerostich wrap on grip heaters. they work great and i've never had one break... since they velcro on, I can remove then whenever. they are SO hot in fact i can't run the heat troller more than half without it getting too hot to hold. even in cold IA temps.
  16. Ignore Amos

Oddometer:
    Us year round guys like to go to the snow...death valley, and else where outside of our sunny little paradise...plus I'm a serious cold weather pussy, not like you, YOU just migrated Polar Bear cub, er...goat
  17. Darin

Darin WYSIWYG (WIZ-zee-wig)

Oddometer:
    I have the Dual-Star heated grips and they mail out that big-ole switch with their kits. I'm still looking for a smaller switch myself --I'll head to NAPA and check out their inventory, thanks Chadd for the tip.

Darin
  18. RAGrote

RAGrote Fishin w PICO

Oddometer:
    I've done the heated grips as well as heated gloves. NO MORE GRIPS for me.

Gloves heat the ENTIRE hand/finger which comes in handy <;) when you're NOT gripping the bars with all your fingers. I ride with 1 finger on the brake & 2 on the clutch ALL the time. My fingers used to freeze but now... Ooo baby, heat all the time.

I'm curious why more people haven't made the switch to an, obviously, superior solution to chilly digits (note the sarcasm).

Just a thought.

Plus, with a little wire harness ($3-8) you can use the gloves on ALL your bikes/snowmobiles etc... No shrink tape this - hand too hot there...

BTW, Gerbings.
  19. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heated gloves are fine, but they have their drawbacks, the big one being that to get heat, you have to get wired up, and you have to get wired up at least three times - once to the bike and once for each hand.

And you're limited in gloves to the heated ones. I'm not aware of what the selection is in heated gloves, but when I sport tour, I typically carry three sets - heavy duty full leather/rivets racing type gloves for max protection, a cold weather set, and a lighter waterproof glove. Does anybody make a full-race-protection heated glove?

Heated grips are always there, no matter what you're wearing. You flip a switch and you get heat. No muss, no fuss.

- Mark
  20. DaleCv

DaleCv Eugene OR Rider

Oddometer:
    I used the KTM heaters but replaced the switch with this rocker switch I purchased from an electronics store.

[​IMG]

I mounted the switch on the brake reservior with a 3M velcro like product that I bought at the same store.

[​IMG]

Dale