Heated Grips

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Ignore Amos, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Skinner

Skinner Mr.KTM

Oddometer:
    Here's what I did with the standard grip wraps, from enduro engineering.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. lowflyer

lowflyer Doubleplusgood

Oddometer:
    I just put the Dual-Stars on with that crappy toggle it came with, but it doesn't look so bad. I would like to find the nice rocker that some of you guys got with your Symtecs, but I haven't been able to find it separately.:1drink
  3. TipOver

TipOver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If they didn't sell you the rubber switch cover/keeper nut (replaces the outside keeper nut you put on in you instal) you should be able to find one at NAPA, ect. That makes the chrome switch a lot less "obvious" and somewhat waterproofs the switch. :D

[
  4. ZenMoto

ZenMoto Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    That is how I have always mounted my heated grips (Dual-Stars). I just use a rubber boot. I mounted mine betwwen the speedo & tach at the bottom of the dash. The switch body fits sideways (I have mine left is high, right is low).

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Be careful when you mount the throttle side, to be sure the wire has room to move. I cable-tied mine at the end of the boot on the throttle cable with just enough slack to clear; it works great, and is very subtle.

This pic is with the throttle wide open.

[​IMG]

Also, the metal swith that comes with the Dual_stars kit isn't a crappy switch, it's actually a very good weather resistant switch. The rubber boot (found at many auto stores) is extra protection, and helps hide the switch. :evil

Cheers,
    Dale
  5. Hawk

Hawk Pretentious Fukwit!!

Oddometer:
    Only way to go in my book.

This is my 2nd set, I let the first set go with my F650

These things will fry your hands, and they are only $45.00 a no brainer in my book.
  6. gbranham

gbranham Kool-aid Drinking Infidel KVNY Los Angeles

Oddometer:
    ktmtwins.com sells the euro light switch. I think it's about $60 though.
  7. woodsrider

woodsrider .........................

Oddometer:
    I would strongly suggest going with the Symtec heated grips with the rocker switch. The switch sits perfectly in the small triangular space located between (and below) the speedo and the tachometer. I got mine from California Sport Touring, Inc..

The left side has different coils to compensate for the bare handlebar (I wrapped mine with heat proof tape anyway). After wrapping, the heat output is approximately the same. I initially bought the KTM grip heater kit, but scrapped them after getting these. You can't see the small round rocker switch in the photo below, but it looks OEM. If needed, I'll snap a photo and post.
    [​IMG]
  8. KTM950 Gatineau

KTM950 Gatineau Got-to-know

Oddometer:
    :wink:I just joined yesterday... please be nice to me.

Just got my Symtec grip heaters... Looking at installing the switch in the same spot (between speedo and tach). Do you plug it in the acc1 or acc2 under the light assembly?
    [​IMG]
    I noticed the instructions showing the low wire going to the high plugin of the switch and the high wire into the low plugin... is that right?

Bob
    KTM950
  9. woodsrider

Oddometer:
    Welcome to AdvRider. If my memory is correct, ACC2 is the switched plug and ACC1 is "always on." You might experiment just to confirm this. I've heard that a few bikes were wired differently. I used ACC2 with no problems.

The Symtec instructions look bass ackwards -- I even called them about it. Just wire them as you stated (which corresponds to the illustration in the instructions) and you should be ok.
  10. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    It's cheap & works very well - I've installed it on every bike I own except the trials bike. All the other bikes I didn't wrap the left side bar for the reasons Flanny mentioend - still works fine, just takes that side longer to heat up & it cools off MUCH faster.

BUT ... Dual-Star now offers a $5 option - you buy a length of shrink-wrap tubing designed specifically to isolate the left-side bar & keep that grip warm :thumb. I just ordered a kit for the 640.

Personal preference, but I installed the switch on the 950 inside the glovebox. Keeps everything very clean that way.

Was using them last weekend ...
  11. woodsrider

Oddometer:
    The Dual Star grip heaters are actually made by Symtec. They are the absolute best, in my opinion. Here is where I mounted my switch:

[​IMG]
  12. Wado

Wado Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do the heated grips cause any issues with the grip glue ? is there something special you should use to glue them up ?
  13. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    The heat will soften many adhesives. I secure my Hotgrips with high temp epoxy.
    -cp
  14. Uncle Pollo

Uncle Pollo Bad Hombre

Oddometer:
    They are self adhesive ... I had not the need to glue them at all.
  15. MY ADV

MY ADV "ZERO.. POINT.. ZERO"

Oddometer:
    I have tried the heated grips and they work so, so. My fingers and hands would still get cold on long rides and any temp bellow 40 Deg. F forget it! I have used gerbing heated gloves and heated vets for the past year and now check out their new line Cascade Extreme. It's the BEST! :clap and pricey too. :cry

http://www.gerbing.com/heat/CEjacket.html

MY ADV
  16. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    Heated grips and heated gloves are not exclusive of one another. There are times and places for each (even both together). I have both. The heated grips are great for those times when the weather starts out warm, and I put on my summer gloves. As the ride progresses and I gain altitude or the weather changes, and my hands get cool. I simply switch on the heated grips and continue my ride uninterupted. This is especially important on a timed rally where each minute stopped is hard to make up, but is still of value on an ordinary ride. When the temps drop far enough that the heated grips no longer provide the needed warmth, I usually need to add a heated jacket liner anyways, so I stop and don both for the remainder of the ride. There have been times when I had all of my electric gear on and the heated grips on high and was still cold. Death Valley in February during the White Stag Winter Rally comes to mind (+4 deg F ambient not counting triple digit wind chill :eek1
    -cp
  17. tmh

tmh It's A Wonderful Day For Pie

Oddometer:
    When I bought my bike at the end of October it came with a set of Dual Star grip heaters, uninstalled in the package. I was a little freaked out when I saw that I would essentially have to epoxy my grips back on over the heaters. But Halloween was coming up the next day, I wanted to ride "the great pumpkin" to work on Halloween day, and the temps were starting to drop a little.

So I bit the bullet and did the install. Took me maybe about 1.5 hours, mostly since I had never pulled any of the plastic off the bike before, and I wanted to in order to expose appropriate wiring to tap. Install was really straightforward. My set came with the standard metal toggle switch instead of the nice recessed one, but I mounted the switch (sideways instead of up/down) in the exact same location as shown above. If I ever want to I will get a rubber cover at an auto parts or marine supply store, but for now it is just fine. And the grips work great - especially the right one which does not heat-sink into the metal bar (but even the left one works fine, it just takes a little longer to get up to temp).

Having now done this install I will never again have a bike without heated grips - it was that easy and straightforward. Although I just may not put them on the Husky quite yet...

Tom
  18. Orangetwin411

Orangetwin411 Katoom Rider

Oddometer:
    Wado, I just finished up a install of the hotgrips. They reccomend a slow drying 2 part epoxy. I used a product by devcon, so far no worries.
  19. Killer Whale KTM

Killer Whale KTM Life is the adventure!

Oddometer:
    Guy's,
    I thought the "Hot Grips" were great for good even heat but beware of the hard plastic compound they are made of !!:huh A few hours off road and my old construction grade hands were sore as hell !!:cry I switched to the ones that go underneath the stock grips and all is well! The throttle hand stays warmer than my left hand though.I eliminated the hi -low crap because I couldn't even tell that they were on in low:huh .Also, I filled my handlebars with silicone to help with the vibes (partially successful) and don't think it has much of an effect as insulation.
    Good Luck and happy winter riding !!:evil
    Killer Whale KTM
  20. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    The new (as of 2 years ago) Hot Grips are a softer compond rubber. Don't hurt my hands at all even after 4000 miles in 4 days. The new compound does wear quicker than the old though. The ones on my ST1100 are almost smooth after just 100,000 miles. They DO heat nice and evenly though. And, best yet, the throttle side wires don't break like my old Kimpex heaters would.:cry
    -cp