Heated Grips

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Ignore Amos, Aug 17, 2005.

1. SteveAS

SteveAS Crank

Oddometer:
    I just installed that set on my 950SM. Two tips:
    1. On the clutch side, I used heavy-walled heat-shrink tubing to insulate the bar, then used a throttle-side rubber grip over that and the heating film. With that arrangement, the clutch side is perfect (very hot on high) and the throttle side is just slightly cooler.
    2. To avoid having the carb heaters reduce heat output during cold weather, but still have switched power to the grips, I used a relay and both the ACC1 and ACC2 circuits. I used the switched ACC circuit (which is common to the carb heaters) to activate the relay and the un-switched ACC circuit to provide power to the grips, via the relay.
  2. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips.

I was thinking of using some kind of insulation between the bars and the elements. But unless the insulator is efficient you’re not really going to stop the heat radiating through to the bars. The best heated grips I have experienced are BMW’s and I think they work by actually heating the bars inside and not the grips directly. I found that the BMW heated grips give a nice even heat.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean about connecting the power to the grips though?

A good tip for putting tight grips on is to use hairspray, they go on like you have just used WD40 and set like glue.
  3. SteveAS

SteveAS Crank

Oddometer:
    Do you have a 950, with carb heaters? If so, you don't want to power the grips from the same circuit as the carb heaters, which are on the switched ACC circuit, because when it gets cold the carb heaters steal power from the grip heaters. I believe this is not an issue for 990 owners.

I have a messy, hand-drawn wiring diagram at home. I'll scan it and post it to this thread.
  4. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your OK Steve thanks. there going on an SE using Acc2. Not sure how much carb heaters draw. I'll look though.
  5. SteveAS

SteveAS Crank

Oddometer:
    I can't recall, but they draw enough that my brother noticed a big improvement in grip heat on his 950 in cold weather when he switched his wiring so that the grips were powered by the un-switched ACC circuit instead of switched one.
  6. SteveAS

SteveAS Crank

Oddometer:
    Here's how I wired my film-type grip heaters using ACC1, ACC2, and a relay:

Attached Files:

7. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good Idea, sorry but I didn’t quite follow your original statement but this makes perfect sense. You have used the circuit controlled by ignition switch to switch your grips on powdered by ACC circuit.
    Need to look at whether the SE has carb heaters and if so...
    Maybe CP could add this to HOW.
  8. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry Steve. But I think ur making this too complicated.
    When the carb heaters come on the grips should not run cooler.
    The amperage will go up in the circuit and the grips will stay the same temp.

Unplug one headlight on ur car...does the other one get brighter?

I have mine connected to the switched set of leeds and the grips stay the same temp for the whole ride....riding to work in below zero celcius.
  9. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve looked at the ACC2 on the SE and the circuit and its shares the carb heaters, so depending on how many watts?? the carb heaters using a relay and ACC1 is not a bad idea. Watts =Amps x Volts.
    The grips say maximum power consumption is 20 watts so as long as the carb heaters are about or less than 40 watts each should be fine. Anyone know how many watts the carb heaters use?
  10. SteveAS

SteveAS Crank

Oddometer:
    Frankly, that was my first reaction, too, but I was persuaded otherwise in this thread, starting with post 14.