Heather_B's "Buzz" 2019 F750GS Build Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AdamChandler, Aug 23, 2019.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    #5, Remus Linkage Pipe. Many individuals are simply buying this to save weight and improve the sound of the exhaust without needing to do any coding changes or spend $900 on a muffler. This cost $236 (today's price) on Revzilla.com and is a cheap way to increase how the F750/F850 sounds. It's a popular mod for those reasons.

The stock resonator is ugly, bulbous and heavy. it weighs 7.8 pounds. The remus weighs just under 3 pounds based on my shoddy scale skills. Nice weight savings for $236 and you get a better sound. The thing is, we wanted the Akrapovic muffler for the style, design, looks and finally sound. The 4.4 pounds of weight savings is a bonus. Saving an additional 4.8 pounds with the remus was hard to pass up but unfortunately, The Remus + Akra doesn't work.

When I mount them up, it's close to impossible to then get the Akra back on the exhaust hanger. I used all of my strength and got it mounted but here's how it looked:
    [​IMG]

It was putting a ton of strain on the rubber in there and I wasn't comfortable with how much pressure it was putting on the remus pipe, the hanger, and all 3 clamps. I'm talking all of my strength to get that bolt in there. Not a final solution and the gap was easily half an inch in stock position and when I pulled the bolt out, it popped back out.

So...the Remus linkage pipe works with the stock setup and I believe it also works with their muffler from Remus but Akra + Remus don't have to play nice and they don't so the look and weight savings of the Akra wins out and the resonator is back on. I would have liked to see that resonator go away but since I haven't found a skid plate yet that covers that area the resonator occupies, I felt even more uneasy with the fact that a log could hit the linkage pipe (this is a low suspension mind you) and push all of the weight back to an already strained hanger and cause the entire system to fail breaking something that isn't repairable on the road.

I did still manage to shoot an install video and get a sound clip in the end. Even IF the entire thing fit together, I don't think I could convince heather to run the Remus + Akra full time. it's very loud. For most people, the linkage pipe is all they need and install is a breeze.

[​IMG]

Buy Here - https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/remus-linkage-pipe-bmw-f750gs-f850gs-2018-2019

[​IMG]
  2. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm curious what is the reasoning behind these "sound and feel" mods. I guess I have a hard time understanding why a new rider would want this.
    side-burn likes this.
  3. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

I modified your response. We have a new motorcycle in the house. I make $400 a month on YouTube videos so I provided heather with a list of potential bike modifications and had her pick them but a video about an exhaust will make considerably more money than installing a more comfortable seat or larger foot pegs. I want to keep the topic of this build thread away from the rider and keep it on topic with the motorcycle instead. I hope you understand that the bike's build is separate from the rider's journey as a new rider. I'm not putting on knobby tires, a power commander type ECU tune or adding an ultra high seat. I'm adding things that can be posted to YouTube and shared that Heather likes and approves of.

Valid question for sure. the 4.4 pounds saved by the Akra and 1.1 horsepower added at peak RPMs will do nothing to help or hurt her journey as a new rider but it will get 20K views on YouTube. We've already taken things off the bike she doesn't like. That will continue.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    #6, R&G Tank Traction Grips, $30.59 (removed due to user preference). The video below is pretty much the entire review of these. Basically, these are custom cut sandpaper with an R&G logo in orange that fit in the hole. I think a trace of the lines of this bike with a purchase of sandpaper would be better. We've decided to try a brand that most Americans don't have instead of R&G and that other company appears to have far nicer options but that'll e its own post since it just shipped today from Netherlands will be here in a week.

Why run tank grips at all? There are really 2 reasons. The first is that the tank grips well....they grip. You can squeeze the tank nice and tight and they keep your legs from moving around. I used to not run them but now I can't not have them on a bike. They add stability, sometimes comfort versus bare metal on my R1200GS and they can also look great.

You can buy the R&G Grips from Twisted Throttle - https://www.twistedthrottle.com/r-g-tank-traction-grips-for-bmw-f750gs-19-f850gs-19-clear-or-black

mikegc likes this.
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    #7 Jesse Luggage Racks, $379.95.....that's the price I paid and the price listed on their site. I also paid $40 shipping but I just went to their site to copy the link and put it here and it's now $449.95. I don't know guys, if you LOVE Jesse Luggage, they make great boxes. the racks are great and the've already worked out the fitment issues I had where I couldn't get the upper hangover piece to be far enough back to insert a bolt. We got it connected but that was a minor annoyance...actually, let me start over.

https://www.jesseluggage.com/motorcycle-luggage/challenger-pannier-mounting-racks-bmw-f750gs-f850gs/ is where you buy them. $449.95 and the price is subject to change but I feel pretty good having gotten these for $379 at this point. No backroom deals, just MSRP. They did include 300 Lip-Balm dispensers with a Jesse Luggage logo but that's for an upcoming rally I'm hosting and they wanted to give me some swag to hand out.

The Jesse Luggage Racks are great if you already have Jesse Boxes or their Soft Luggage adapter. Heather and I are actually trying to save money where we can on this build and I actually have 2 sets of Jesse Luggage. The first, a 10" wide Challenger Hard Box that I love. It's my on-road touring setup and I throw those boxes on the bike anytime I'm going out for an overnight or 2 week long trip. I seriously love them. Well made, strong, I've crashed in Jesse boxes before and they don't quit on you. They'll go on and on and on. At $1395 a set, well yeah they're expensive especially when you have to spend $449 on racks. They also make a super cool soft-luggage adapter plate for $339.95. You can order Mosko Moto Backcountry 35 bags w/o the mounting hardware and save some money and attach them to this plate instead. I have the BC35 on this plate in addition to the challenger box.

For the overall price, I was going to push heather into ordering a box from SW-Motech or Bumot. Cheaper, yeah won't last a few crashes but the cost of entry is much lower. OR have her buy a Mosko Backcountry 35 because my R1200GS Adventure racks supposedly fit her bike. At least that's what I heard but maybe I'm wrong? And then attach the BC35s to her GS. Either way, if Heather had to buy boxes in addition to a rack, I'm not sure if I would have recommended she go Jesse. They're all made in America and they are a good team over there and I love their products but the prices keep going up. I think Jesse's Racks + boxes are the best made panniers (hard) on the market. I mean it so I'm glad she went with the rack and I'm happy to let her use either my 10" challenger boxes or my BC35 bags depending on the kind of riding she's doing. When we tour together, this means we're guaranteed to have my setup of 110L of storage +20L tank bag and a 20L dry bag + 70L of storage in her bags + tank bag and tail bag. So we can easily hit 250L of storage on 2 bikes if we really wanted to and that's plenty. Here are some photos of the racks and the boxes installed.

By the way, here's a thread I created with every known (to me) pannier rack + luggage option for the F750/F850GS - https://advrider.com/f/threads/f750-f850-pannier-racks-luggage-options.1396798/

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

If she is riding off road and wants to forgo boxes, the pannier racks will actually serve as a 2nd set of crash bars. I love how the crossbar is integrated not these racks. They're exceptionally well made. Oh and then there's that pesky issue that you can't run passenger footpads with these racks unless you saw off the Vario lever OR spend $500 on BMW's Euro foot pegs that do not have the Vario connection.
    [​IMG]

Here's the install video:
    mikegc likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    #8, SW-MOTECH Front Axle Sliders. I paid $47.18 for these but once again, I check their site and the price now shows $96.01. So who knows what these will cost tomorrow. Prices are changing way too fast. To be clear, I would not have bought these for $96 USD. $47.18 already felt like an insane price to pay for two plastic hubs + a long bolt. Sliders have helped me in the past and done their job and they're 1 time use. I'm actually not even sure these will get any action at all should we ever crash this bike given how far out Panniers + the Engine crash bar sticks out past the front forks.

Buy Here - https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-front-axle-sliders-for-bmw-f750gs-f850gs-r1200r

Install...insanely easy. Assemble both hubs, apply Loctite 242 to both bolts, thread the cross-bolt in, attach the other side then use equally opposed bolts on each side of the fork to torque down to 8NM (I probably did more like 20 but oh well). Then you attach this little hub cover plastic thing that will eventually fall out.

The whole thing should be an easy install because when you change your front wheel, this has to come out for the tech to remove the front axle and drop the wheel for a change. The dealer probably won't charge you any labor for the extra effort. It's 30 seconds of additional work.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Install Video -
    mikegc likes this.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    #9, BMW NAV Bracket Relocation to the proper location, $27.50. I picked this up on eBay and it shipped from China in about 7 days. There are 2 options for this operation. First, this one - https://www.bmw-navi-interface.com/gps-bracket-f750-f850-gs/ and it ships from Germany and is made by hand. It looks properly made, good quality, nice fit & finish and looks like it will take abuse but it's also 100 Euro for the black one. Alternatively, there are a ton of cheap options on eBay so I figured let's take a chance and see?

Buy Here - https://www.ebay.com/itm/GPS-Phone-...MW-F750GS-F850GS-2018-2019-Black/113807519395

Install Video -

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Installation was super easy. Remove windscreen, snap off a cover w/ some rubber pins (flat head under the pins to break them loose) and then 4 more screws to get the cover off revealing 4 termination points to screw in the bracket then build it all back up exactly how you tore it down. If you snap 2 zip-ties under your triple tree, you'll free up enough slack in the NAV VI previously installed on the handlebars to bring the power/data cable up to the new mount position. Zip tie it up to the bracket and you're good. I think it's a very painless implementation with just one big caveat.

If you don't plan on installing a new larger windscreen, this is an awkward looking install. You really need to go bigger on the windscreen for this to work. I LOVE this setup...is it for everyone? well maybe less relevant if you're not running a NAV. The Chinese version comes with 2 different bars, one large enough to easily accommodate a standard RAM Ball clamp mount. I have a TomTom Rider 550 in addition to a NAV VI so heather may choose to run the Rider 550 and I can put the NAV back on my GSA so we'd definitely mount the TomTom on her bike and for that, I'd just install the larger bracket center and put a RAM Clamp on it. The bracket makes for a great zip-tie location. Problem solved! You can see there's a 2-port USB hub right there on the left of the TFT screen ready to take a device.
    mikegc likes this.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    #10, Madstad Adjustable Windscreen. I received a 10% off coupon code from the company upon request when I told them I'd be making a video review. Every bit helps but this windscreen MSRPs for $289 and is showing $269 right now. Here's a link to buy it - https://madstad.com/products/bmw-f750-850gs-2018

When it was time to consider windscreens for the F750GS. Heather wanted a few things

1. Year-Round use (unlike me where I have 3 windscreens, one for each season)
    2. Adjustability (up down at least)
    3. Nice wind protection (Madstad includes winglets)
    4. Works with the Garmin NAV Bracket I bought

The one downside I had heard about Madstad was their use of acrylics for the process. I asked them about this after I ordered the windscreen. Here's their response:
    Cast acrylic is more rigid, more optically clear, has better scratch resistance, better chemical resistance for cleaning, easier to mold, less costly, and does not cloud or become hazy over time like polycarbonate can. We use a minimum 3/16" (4.5 mm) thick cast acrylic to make all of our windshields so they are nice and rigid, super-clear and easy to maintain.
    FYI, the canopy of the F/A-18 Hornet supersonic combat jet is made of cast acrylic. If acrylic is good enough for a military fighter jet we feel it is good enough for your motorcycle!

Install: Straightforward. They use their own custom bracket which I LOVE because it has a wide footprint which allows the bracket to do the work of absorbing wind abuse versus the windscreen. It makes adjusting it while riding a bit easier as well since the wind force is distributed. The winglets were dead simple. The only thing I want to comment on is they use these rubber terminations with a thread inside of them. The rubber bubbles up and then you know it's tight. I'd prefer they just use a metal fastener but I think they did this because if you over-torque the bolt, it could crack the acrylic. That's my thought and so for that, they did the right thing.

Thoughts: It's great. Very clear to see through. Has a fantastic presence on the bike. The winglets are perfectly sculpted to follow the lines of the screen. The adjustability is simple, the knobs won't risk coming out as they're anchored to the bracket. The center grid w/ holes punched out for a RAM Mount was a genius thought but unfortunately, if you install a RAM Ball, you can't re-affix the nice F750GS spoiler that goes behind the windscreen. That spoiler "really ties the room together" and directs wind up to you so I decided to skip the cool RAM functionality and do RAM Balls on the handlebars instead for a bit more ease of use and it keeps the front of the bike looking clean.

Will this hold up to touring abuse? I think the bracket is build to last. The acrylic, we'll just have to see. It's pretty scratched from when I was screwing the bolts down as the inside doesn't really have a nice grommet to take the abuse. For now, it is gorgeous!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

mikegc likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    #11, GIVI TN5127 Crash Bar. Twisted Throttle has 3 Crash bars for the F750GS. Alternative options exist from H&B and Heed but those ship from Europe. Touratech's crash bars I won't run on my bikes and AltRider (1st choice) has bars coming but they're not shipping until after our riding season is over. I had to buy something so I initially settled on SW-Motech but then those arrived and were missing half of the bolts. I tried to buy them but that was a 2 month lead time on getting bolts...might as well just wait for the AltRider bars at that point.

Buy Silver - https://www.twistedthrottle.com/giv...s-for-bmw-f750gs-19-f850gs-19-stainless-steel
    Buy Black - https://www.twistedthrottle.com/givi-tn5127-crash-bars-engine-guards-for-bmw-f850gs-19

Luckily, Twisted Throttle accepted my return of the Motech bars and in fact, I actually initially wanted to buy the GIVI bars but they were listed for $450 and the SW-Motech bars at $299 and I paid $236 because they were open-box return to TT. So, fast forward a bit I check the Twisted Throttle site and boom, GIVI bars listed for $256! I swoop in to buy them but they don't have black only powder steel coat and so I call and they confirm black is in stock and they were willing to honor the price even though literally as I was refreshing the page, it went from $256 back to $450. Luckily, I had a screenshot :p So price fluctuations happen and I got a killer deal on these bars.

The GIVIs are significantly nicer than Motech in my opinion. They have a cross-bar which helps distribute the weight to both sides. they appear to go up higher and further out and they use the upper frame/motor mounts by way of a solid bracket. I think these will sustain all off-road falls and could even serve to hang lights off if you wanted to be brave enough. The plastic GIVI caps were pretty cheap requiring I screw into the plastic to have.

When I called to order the sales person asked me if I was sure and that they've had some returns from people who got stuck and the instructions say "have a mechanic do the work" the thing is, it was a very easy install. Maybe that's just me. You do need a T55 which many people don't have. A torque wrench is needed as well. You are removing 2 motor/frame bolts from each side but if you do 1 bolt at a time, you'll be fine and the motor didn't sag at all but I had a jack stand ready just in case. One of their lower M6 bolts required a torque of 84NM which I thought was too high. I set it to 50 and the bolt started to give-way so I had to replace it myself no way that bolt can take 84. I almost lost it. The washers they included were also too big for those M6/M8 bolts. They also didn't require thread locker but when I decided to use a lower 40NM for the low bolts, I decided to use thread locker as a back up to the lower torque. Those lower bolt holes weren't in use...saved for BMW's crash bars probably.

So overall, install sucked because of the shitty hardware but everything else went fine. The bars themselves are good. I'd certainly recommend the video for anyone looking to install them.

Photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You'll see in this final photo I missed a bolt on the cross bar. I couldn't get it to thread. I tried rubber mallet on both sides and ratched straps and I could not get those two to pair up. Luckily, if heather crates, the force will still transfer to the other bar because the center piece is larger in the middle. the bars can't move any close together and maybe after a crash, I can finally screw in the small T25 that's there :p

[​IMG]

fozrunner and mikegc like this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    $12, Grip Puppies. Heather liked these on my bike. So we're going to give them a go. $18 on Amazon right now - https://www.amazon.com/Grip-Puppy-Comfort-Grips-Original/dp/B00CP9ADD8 or you can click this link to get us 1% back ( https://amzn.to/2Lfkjbr )

Easy to install just had to remove the Barkbusters but since I was going to add thread-locker to those handlebar bolts anyway, it was going to happen so no big deal. Applying a bit of soap helps get these on easier and that dries pretty quickly.

[​IMG]
    mikegc likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I wanted to to a quick post that's not a specific mod but more of an all Farkle update. I'm calling "Stage One" of Buzz complete. We were struggling on what mods to install and have on the bike in time for Heather to start riding the bike (tomorrow). There are things she still wants like lights, larger foot pegs, a more comfortable seat, tank bag and other things listed on the build thread but she doesn't want it sitting in the basement any longer so we decided on the modifications we wanted for sure before she started riding:
    • Luggage
    • Crash Bars
    • Windscreen
    • Handguards
    • Move the NAV to a more appropriate location
    • Brighter Turn signals
    That's all done in addition to a muffler and grip puppies. The bike is probably going to get 500 miles on it before the snow flies and then we can revisit the build thread 'list' and determine if we want to make any changes. I shot a video today of all of the Stage One upgrades in a nice well lit area with good scenery:

This thread will not go mostly quiet to new posts until winter starts unless something creeps in if I suddenly get sponsored by someone (LOL, yeah right). For now, we just have a lot of things we want to buy but gas money and campground fees are gonna come first for the rest of September.

But seriously, if anyone has any stuff they want to send us, let me know :p
    mikegc and TimmyTheHog like this.
  12. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    You ain't wastin’ no time!

Any chance you overlooked the OEM rubber grommets from the BMW screen that were intended to be transferred to the Madstad screen? Common situation.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  13. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I didn’t use the rubber grommets, as they supply rubber washers for either side of the screen, got mine on ok without any scratches IMG_6708.JPG
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Good point. Their instructions didn't say to move the grommets over. Not quite sure they'd fit. The plastic washers do the job but under neath them was scratched pretty badly. It's entirely possible we end up going for a taller version of this windscreen if Heather wants more wind protection but this is already a huge step up from the OEM one.
  15. morfic

morfic Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's nice about Madstad is you can buy the taller screen alone, without paying for a full second assembly.
    AdamChandler and bikeymikey70 like this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Very true. One could even go as far as to have a super - tall winter screen when temps dip below 50 and a summer screen that's a lot shorter. Best of both worlds using the same bracket.
  17. Heather_B

Heather_B New Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey there!

In three days on the bike, I have reached 200 miles and can now more adequately comment on the mods:

Barkbusters Handguards: I can’t compare to NOT having these on, but I can say on three different good-length rides on days in the 60s (F) I never had cold hands even though I wear lighter Klim gloves. I don’t think they’re too big, they certainly don’t impede anything for me, and I wouldn’t want to take them off to be able to make a fair comparison. My hands are frequently cold so combine these with my heated hand grips and I’m a happy lady.

LED Turn Signals: All I can really say about them is that they blinded me when I put them on and people don’t seem to question when I’m going to be making a turn. In short, I will be keeping these forever.

TFT Screen Protector: Hard to comment on this other than to say I can’t tell that there is a film protecting the screen and hope I don’t need to test out its durability anytime soon.

Akrapovic Muffler: I think Adam explained this one – he decided to make this update (with my blessing) as it is a popular kind of video to watch on YouTube. Another example of a feature I can’t compare to OEM but my two biggest concerns have been alleviated after my rides: 1) it is NOT too loud and 2) it doesn’t feel like it’s a more powerful bike than I care to handle.

Jesse Luggage Racks: I used Adam’s Mosko bags over the weekend while camping up at the BMW MOV Green Mountain Rally. These racks are awesome. Being able to use those bags for storage space opens up so many opportunities for us. Adam usually has to be VERY careful about what he packs but I won some prizes at the rally, bought some beer to bring home, and STILL had space to spare because of this rack install and my ability to use his soft luggage.

BMW NAV Bracket Relocation: This is great. I cannot imagine it being lower. As a noob, I’m very very happy to be able to barely glance down and see where I’m going. It got me safely to the rally on my own without me having to look very far down at all. Everyone should move their NAV, IMO.

SW-MOTECH Front Axle Sliders, GIVI Crash Bars…: Well, FORTUNATELY I haven’t had to test these out. I think both look great – especially those crash bars! – but (knock on wood) I can’t tell you how well they really protect.

Grip Puppies: These are awesome. They’re so cheap and add so much comfort. I love them.

Madstad Windscreen: I am very glad this was on. Wind was whipping around on my rides to and from the rally. That windscreen made it tolerable (though I still need to get used to crosswinds – those made me feel like I was going to fly off at times. No windscreen can help me there).

Hope some of this was helpful!

HB
    Mofrid, Ocho NA, slackline and 4 others like this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Buzz and Rosie at the BMW MOV Green Mountain Rally on Saturday.

...also caught someone taking a video of the rubber chicken squawk:
    [​IMG]
  19. Heather_B

Heather_B New Rider

Oddometer:
    Confirmed: the crash bars work well at low speeds.
    Phoenix101, TimmyTheHog and mikegc like this.
  20. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^^
    Certainly hope all is well with you and your BMW.

Mike
    Heather_B and AdamChandler like this.