Heather_B's "Buzz" 2019 F750GS Build Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AdamChandler, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Heather_B

Heather_B New Rider

Oddometer:
    Ha! It was embarrassing more than anything else. The bike and I are just fine.

Dropped it pulling into my awkward driveway. Thought i was going to hit my car, freaked, braked hard, didn’t hit the car, fell. But Adam says I “fell right” and didn’t try to catch myself so I guess that was a good end to this evening’s practice ride!
    mikegc likes this.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    morfic and mikegc like this.
  3. 0utlier

0utlier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just installed these crash bars and finally got the cross bar to line up. You're right though... it was impossible for me to get it to work correctly by following the directions. After fighting with it for 30 minutes or so I took the bars off on one side then mated the cross bar, then reinstalled the crash bars and it all came together. As you know, those bars aren't going anywhere without the bolt, but nevertheless it is annoying not to be "right".

AdamChandler likes this.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the comment. I do think the only way to get this to work is how you recommended. Remove them leaving the brackets in place, mate the two up and then hang both onto the brackets with 1 bolt each and then install from there tightening the other 3 down per side. Mating the two after install was impossible.
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Here's a follow up to this modification. While Heather was keen on having tank-grips installed, she did not like the low-cost feel of the R&G Option and I can't say I blame her. I set out to find an alternative and there was none. I personally like the Techspec option but they don't have an F750GS option yet and asked me to buy their universal one and cut to size. It was going to come out looking awful so I declined.

I eventually came across this company Rubbatech. The owner there does not have a USA Importer / Distributor but was happy to sell me these and ship from Netherlands to USA. He did ask I pass on his info to others and maybe he can find a distribution partner stateside. The product itself looks great. The Fit is exactly perfect. No over-fitting or bleed-over with the plastics. Assuming the adhesive itself is high quality, we'll enjoy this on the bike for many years.

Buy It Links:
    https://rubbatech.com/nl/bmw-f750gs-f850gs-knee-pads/
    https://rubbatech.com/nl/bmw-f750gs-tank-pad/

Photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Video...heather did the install this time around:

There is a pretty serious downside to us being early-adopters. if you discount that I also bought one for my r1200GS, the cost was 87.20 euros including shipping or $96 USD. VERY expensive. I think Tech Spec charged me $89 USD for their kit including shipping for my GS Adventure but this Is a lot less fabric and is a lot thinner and unproven. We'll see how it goes long term.

[​IMG]
    mikegc and Ocho NA like this.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Next Up: Shout out to @DENALI Electronics and @twistedthrottle for helping me find everything compatible with Heather's bike. This is all plug & play so we'll be doing the full install together over the next few days. Initially, I asked for Denali's new S4 Lightpod to go with the D4 Lightpod but then I found out that for now, there is an amber lens kit for their D4 but not the S4 and I wanted the S4s fork mounted on low power with some amber lights. That may eventually come out but for now, in order to get fork mounted amber lights, their D2 Pod does have an amber kit. Well...since I have a Lower power fork light than I wanted, I guess I have to go high power for the higher-up lights so D7 it is! Which is Denali's newest light array which is a whopping 15,000 lumens!

[​IMG]
    Links to buy everything pictured below:

S4 + D4 would have been nice. I think they look a lot better but orange D2s + White D7s will be fantastic for visibility and night time riding.

Here's their full catalogue as you can see for now, no amber lens for the S4. If they ever put out an S4 w/ amber lens, given the plug & play nature, I may sell the D2s and buy S4s.

[​IMG]

It's getting pretty full in the basement. Not sure where my 1200GS is going to go:
    [​IMG]
    Ocho NA and mikegc like this.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    A few "In Progress" photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything is still 100% a work in progress and Heather and I are taking our time on it. We may swap out some things, screw around with different mounts and such and hopefully build out a package (links) that people can know will work no issues. I just can't wait to fire these bad boys up. The brake light itself is stupid bright!
    mikegc likes this.
  8. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Sweet mother! Those D7s are massive looking. How are they size wise to the Dixis?
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    That's an apples to oranges comparison. Dixi is 5.3" diameter and D7s are 4.4". Dixi is larger due to the addition of a Darla in the middle. D7s are 15,330 RAW Lumens as a pair and Dixi is "10,000+ each" I think the more direct comparison to the D7 is the Sevina at 4.7" diameter 15K Lumens in a pair.

My personal 'comparison' which isn't really backed by science because LED outputs are based on:
    1. LED Type
    2. Housing Design (how well does it dissipate heat?)
    3. Angle of the optics (from pencil to super wide)
    4. How is the lens designed (in Denali's case, spot and Flood being 2 different lenses you can pick and choose or mix & match)
    5. RAW Lumens (which are never 100% for reasons outlined above)

BUT my comparison would be
    • D2 and Darla
    • S4 and Krista
    • D4 and Erica
    • D7 and Sevina
    • ?? and Dixi
    One thing I haven't done yet is configure the lights and I'm really curious to see if I am fond of configuring with my laptop versus the Clearwater Button Dance Game for reconfiguration.

I'm trying to convince heather to move the D7s on top of the light mount because she'll only be running them on high beam anyway so they'll never interfere with her turn signals. I also am pretty sure they have a setting that kills the D7 when the turn signal is engaged. Mounting them on top will almost guarantee they never hit the ground when she drops the bike.
  10. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that is some quality information regardless if it is an apples to orange but I was mostly just curious about size comparison because they looked so big.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    You know me, I always like to share what I know even if I'm just talking into the air around me. I didn't really know all that there was about LEDs until last year when I challenged Denali to tell me which is better their lights or clearwater and they really didn't take me up on that. I initially thought they were just dodging the question but in actuality, it's really something that's super hard to do. I honestly just thought it was a lumens race. so I've learned a lot.

I bet the F750 would look ridiculous with Dixis :p

Here's the Denali D7 + D4 + S4 top to bottom:
    [​IMG]
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    The Denali and SW-Motech and Twisted Throttle installs & reviews are going to occupy a few pages. If you look at this post from page one, you'll notice initially I had outlined a lot of things for the bike and most of those things came from Twisted Throttle. A few months earlier, I had started a dialogue with the company because I had an issue with my DENALI SoundBomb for R1200GS. I visited their shop, they replaced it and reinstalled it properly and it has been problem free since then. During that visit, I mentioned to them that by the way, I do YouTube videos. That was that and I know some of the Denali engineers there watched my videos but I'm not a self-promoter and if you read my Rosie Red build thread, you'd know I am not in this for free stuff or sponsorships or that kind of thing. First and foremost, I like Farkles. Second, I like sharing Farkles with the world via photos, reviews and videos. I like talking about them with people at rallies and over the last 4 years, I've received some Farkles at discount and always with disclosure. I have some discounts in the past from Jesse Luggage, AltRider and a few other vendors. It's insanely collaborative though. My dialogue with these people happens every week. I send feedback, photos, ask for discounts to be given to friends and at rallies and really promote their brand always before they ever offer me a discount. The relationship is organic and never "stuff for reviews"

My list of Farkles being primarily from Twisted Throttle was purely coincidence because they stocked the most F750GS Compatible parts since they carry Givi, SW-Motech, Denali, R&G and other brands that are out of Europe, they had far more than Revzilla and USA based companies like AltRider, Jesse Luggage and BDCW were just starting out with the new 750GS.

Through this, the Twisted Throttle Marketing people reached out to me and offered to "sponsor the bike". Not in a big way. The Farkle budget for the F750 was around $9 grand once all is said and done but they had some parts just coming available for this bike, needed install videos and promotional photos and liked the idea of us doing all of this ourselves. While most of the instructions they generate recommend a professional installer, I think anyone can install these parts with patience. So, they offered to give me a discount on some of the things in this thread. Other things were sent to me with one request...which is if I make a video or photos (which I was going to do anyway), that they be able to use them on their site. They could use quotes from me or link to this thread. Very basic stuff that honestly most companies would have done without asking because this is the modern Internet.

Heather and I agreed to the sponsorship just like we did with AltRider where I'm given a small but still double digit discount on AltRider parts which I believe is their cost plus about 5% markup and they really don't ask anything from me at all.

This doesn't change anything about the reviews. If you think it does, go somewhere else to complain but I wrote extensively about this subject on my other build thread - https://advrider.com/f/threads/adam...re-build-thread.1343485/page-74#post-36898133

I don't want this thread to turn into a discussion on ethics and sponsorships so let me state clearly that when a post which always will contain just one product per (thoughts, photos, video, review), I will start that thread with "This item was provided to me free or at a discount" and that's the only disclosure I have to provide. people can choose to trust my opinion but that's why I like videos. As I struggle with an install, you see it and I don't edit that out.

With that said, Heather and I are really enjoying working on the bike together and it's a total blast. We're hoping that Twisted Throttle can replace 2 parts that were incompatible with my bike quickly so we can wrap up the Denali install and move on to a bit more riding before it gets too late. Saturday's low is 33F and Sunday is 31F. Sigh. Winter is coming fast.

here's the upcoming Denali Review posts probably next week each as their own post:
    • Unboxing
    • B6 Brake Light install
    • CANSmart Install
    • Light Mount + D7s
    • Fender Mount + D2s
    • SoundBomb
    • CANSmart configuration video w/ screen recording & voice-over
    • On the bike helmet cam test of the lights
    • Denali and Clearwater test
    It's quite a bit which is why I'm getting this out now.
    smoore and mikegc like this.
  13. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:

Adam - nice write up on the build. I just wanted to clarify that Black Dog Cycle Works has been shipping parts for the F750GS such as skid plates, footpegs, rear racks, tank guards and engine guards since March 2019. While we understand we may be more expensive than most and don't have a lot of marketing dollars to sponsor builds, the feedback we receive from customer every day is that our quality, service and Made in the US parts are worth the premium.

Thanks
    Kurt
    Solo Moto likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Good clarification. I was hoping by using BDCW instead of Black Dog, you wouldn't have to see this in your searches. Trying to save you guys some writing and not make you feel like you had to respond. On my R1200GS, I run your luggage plates and LOVE them. The F750GS won't be a go-hard off-roader like my 1200 is. It will be used almost exclusively for touring so I didn't feel we needed the Black Dog Gear this time around or I definitely would have considered ordering it. Thanks as always and those who want to check out their gear, here's the link - https://blackdogcw.com/store/bikes/bmw-f850gs-f750gs/

and on the topic of sponsorships, your stance is similar to nearly every other ADV company out there so I don't think you have to play that game to stay relevant at all. You have fanatical customers and great products. Sorry I didn't order anything from you for this bike project.
  15. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi Adam
    No worries. We appreciate the compliment on our parts and service.

I just wanted to provide clarification so people wouldn't assume we didn't have any part for the F750GS.

Thanks for your support and no apologies necessary. We totally get that some ADV bikes have a different focus.

Most important things is to enjoy the ride. I am leaving in minutes to go put some miles on our KTM 790 ADV - solely for R&D purposes....and my sanity.
    Kurt
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. storm670

storm670 n00b

Oddometer:
  17. storm670

storm670 n00b

Oddometer:
    Heather, best wishes as you embrace a new sport. I started riding at 54- four years ago, never having been near a motorcycle except for a few double rides. I did have experience with horses and snowmobiles which helped a bit. My husband is 61 now, he had ridden motorcycles off and on most of his life. He got an 1150GSA six years ago. He had never had an endorsement on his license till that bike and I went to the training class with him just for fun. I enjoyed riding with him and had never really thought about riding myself until we started talking about Alaska. He said in order to take what we'd need for a trip like that we'd need to each ride. My first bike was a full size F650 single. I bought it used. I rode it for a couple of seasons, it was not right for me. I found a lowered F650 twin and learned a lot more riding it for a couple of seasons. Loved being able to touch the ground. I changed the chain and sprockets and did some other stuff to try to gear it down a bit and make it more rideable at slow speeds. Finally tried the new F750GS this spring and fell in love.....better throttle, better balance, better gearing. Was not sure if I wanted the full size so I'd have the center stand and push button suspension and try to get it low enough with a custom seat. Then mid-September I stumbled on to an F750GS factory low with the low seat, 1000 miles and lots of Touratech extras for less than the new price with nothing. I got it and am truly, completely happy with my bike for the first time. You too can learn on a bigger bike, especially with a patient and supportive partner. It will be more comfortable and you can take longer trips. We do a lot of dirt as well and I did pick up a TW200 for that purpose mainly because I can pick it up myself and since we ride mostly just the two of us, there are places we'd like to try that with two big bikes it is just too much work if we get in trouble. I am able to practice and try new things on the little bike because I don't have to be so dependent on help if I mess up and he can try more things knowing we just have one bigger bike to pick up if it goes bad. If had just one bike, of course the big bike so we can travel and explore......I have put 1700+ miles on the 750 since I got it the end of September. But I've had fun using the little bike as a learning tool here locally to gain confidence. Good luck in your adventure. Ride, Ride, Ride and ride some more.
  18. storm670

storm670 n00b

Oddometer:
  19. storm670

storm670 n00b

Oddometer:
    I love all the info and what you are doing with you bike. I found your thread while researching how to move the navigator up above the TFT where it belongs or at least be able to mount my phone up there. Plan A: move the TFT so I could get a Wunderlinq and mount my phone to the nav unit like we did for my husband's 1200 GSA. The more I think about it, I am happy using my phone to navigate, so I really just need to get my phone mounted where I can see it easily and then the nav bracket can stay where it is. It is indeed a shit location for those of us with bifocals. By putting the phone or nav above the TFT it will be much easier to use without having to take eyes off the road. Thanks for all the info.
    AdamChandler and Heather_B like this.
  20. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice set up!!
    upload_2019-10-19_20-30-4.png

Wife's 2019

upload_2019-10-19_20-46-56.png

we have since added a center stand and in the future will add a skid plate. She has about 10K miles on it now (bought in March)
    AdamChandler and Heather_B like this.