Heather_B's "Buzz" 2019 F750GS Build Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AdamChandler, Aug 23, 2019.

1. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic looking! Mind commenting on what upper crash bars you're using? We also want to add a center stand ASAP. No off-roading planned so it's not as if the low will be scraping the ground at all. I've seen some lowered F700s w/ center stand get caught on logs & rocks but I think we'll just get Heather a KLX 250 if she plans to do that kind of riding with me.

Not heather but I enjoyed your story a lot. Thanks for sharing. If you have a photo of your bike, we'd love to see it! Enjoy your F750 and safe riding. Maybe we'll see you out on the road one day.
  2. Heather_B

Heather_B New Rider

Oddometer:
    Small build thread update....

I forced Adam to take a break from working on our motorcycles to do a Fall Cleanup in our workspace. I put in about 20 hours re-organizing everything and filling a dozen trash bags. The space is so functional now with a lot of space for activities and fully building out the F750.

We’ll be finishing up the light & horn this week and sharing some photos of the process. The worst part for Adam? I made him put all of the bikes outside in the cold for 24 hours. “Poor things.”

Attached Files:

3. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bars are Hepco Becker. Got the center stand from Accessories International (they have both standard and low frame center stand). The stand tucks up nicely and does not look like it lowers the clearance...
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Awesome to hear. I do wish BMW had engineered a center stand for the lowered F750. I know it'd be a low-volume part and SW-Motech wants over $300 for theirs but for working on the bike, adjusting the chain, changing wheels & tires it's pretty much essential. We have a dirt bike stand but getting the F'750 onto the stand isn't as easy as picking up a dirt bike.
  5. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    exactly why we bought one.. it was a pain for chain maintenance
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, hate to hijack for a moment, but is there a build thread on the “Brick?”

And thank you for the led signals. Will be ordering today.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/adamchandlers-felicity-1995-k75rt-build-thread.1369965/

I wouldn't call it a "build thread" more of a "fail thread" I need to provide a proper update of where we are and throw out some ideas of what to do next but right now I'm way over my head and sort of need a brick layer (expert LOL) to hold my hand through completion because I have a ton of bolts now and a ton of parts and can't seem to get it all back together. I had a buyer for it and while they may still be interested the truth is, it's a $1000 bike that I've put over 2 grand into and even all together, you really can't get $3-4k out of a K75RT. It only has 38K miles with a full service history of everything done by the book. I'm the 3rd owner and the last 2 owners I actually met and spoke to extensively which is always pretty cool. I'm at a cross roads where I could sell off all of the fairings and chop it into a hipster bike and come out even where I am today OR put all fo the fairings back on and sell it for exactly what I put into it. I can't ride the RT since I'm too tall anyway so in its current form as an RT, I can't really ride it.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Progress is being made. The Denali Soundbomb is mounted up now:
    [​IMG]

I'm using this horn mount: https://denalielectronics.com/collections/all-mounting/products/hmt-07-10800 Actually bought this one at full price because the one Denali sent me to test wasn't up to my personal preference. It mounted to the Givi crash bars. It worked well but I like how this one tucks into the engine a lot more and it's just more sleek. Fully replaced the OEM horn location.

Here's a photo of the other option:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I do think both are perfectly fine options but the horn replacement bracket is just nicer. This one takes away from the visual sleekness of the bike's build. Still is protected from the crash bar. https://www.twistedthrottle.com/den...2mm-29mm-0-875in-1-125in-diameter-tubes-black
    mikegc likes this.
  9. smoore

smoore Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question for you: how did you wire the horn into the bike's electrical system? In one of the reviews at Twisted Throttle for the Denali Mini SoundBomb, somebody says that they bought a "Repair Plug, 2-pin" (part number 83 30 0302 344) from BMW and used that to wire the mini horn onto their BMW F800GT. I've read something else about needing to integrate higher-draw things like airhorns into the CANBus system and so I'm confused. I'd love to replace the meeep style stock horn on my F750GS. Thanks!
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    In this specific case, I'm using Denali's CanSmart module so it's truly one click with the module handling everything.

On my R1200GS, I purchased their Plug & Play adapter for BMWs which required I wire the horn to the battery and another cable that plugged into the same plug that my OEM horn used. I see no reason why that same adapter wouldn't work with the F750GS as the horn looks identical.

https://www.twistedthrottle.com/den...y-controller-for-bmw-k1600-series-motorcycles - CanSmart for F750GS

Or you can buy this - https://www.twistedthrottle.com/den...e-motorcycle-air-horn-kit-horn-wiring-harness and add this: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/den...-connecting-soundbomb-horn-to-oem-bmw-harness
    DENALI Electronics and Duitser like this.
  11. OTR/L

OTR/L Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was told that the factory BMW car horn will plug and play and it’s much loader than the factory horn. This was told to me by the dealer in Asheville when picking up my girlfriends 750.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Can confirm. BMW's 5-Series Horn is a perfect fit. Truly plug & play no errors and plenty of space to mount it on the F750/F850. It's a bit of a higher fit on the R1200GS due to the nature of the horn under the beak.

Here's the horn I installed on the R1200GS - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ABVUZDA (this is not an affiliate link)

I have a spare actually so I should probably do a video showing it working on an F750GS.
    2004ret and heatmizr like this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    More great progress tonight. All of the Denali equipment is mounted up and we have started the actual wiring. Initially, we were just going to run it over the tank but under the fairing but there's not enough slack so time to remove the fuel tank.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    wrussell61 and mikegc like this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    It's alive! The Denali D7 + D2 look amazing. Insanely bright. Tomorrow night, Heather and I will sit down on the computer and configure the lights.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW, these were just standard default brightness levels. High beam was even more insane.
  15. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    After 2 near misses on my 750 in the last 2 weeks, not being seen even with the LED headlight on, I might invest in some aux lights
  16. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mounted DR1’s on my 850GSA with amber filters. Side effect of the hazards is they flash at full power. Not exactly following the law in traffic on the shoulder, most traffic actually moved out of the way! Haven’t had a car pop in front of me yet.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Totally, I ride with one of the top female BMW riders who logs 20K miles a year. Her F650 and F700 were headlight only for the last 5+ years then she got a pair of small auxiliary lights with orange covers and she said this summer, not a single person pulled out in front of her or even thought about crossing her path. She now has those lights on both bikes and every rider meeting, she's over in the corner telling people they have to get them. The tiny Denali DR2s are relatively affordable given how customizable they are but any LED off eBay or amazon would do the trick for improving being seen.
    bikeymikey70 likes this.
  18. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would have to agree, it feels like people are more aware of me when my Aux lights are on when riding either of my bikes. So much so that I just leave them on all the time now when riding. My GS got some fancy PIAA lights, my commuter (SV650) got some generic DIY setup from superbrightleds.com. The whole setup was under $100 once I'd picked out all the parts to install it.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  19. Zoef zoef

Zoef zoef Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, if adding lights work, then why are LEO on bikes with lights flashing, sirens still being hit by someone who did not see them? My approach is that no one sees me, unless I get a confirmation that he/she has seen me.
    Such an amount of light can also cause irritation and more or less blind people if you are not carefull with the adjustment, hence they cannot see you.
  20. rcb78

rcb78 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The way I see CHPs (Ca Hwy Patrol for those outside the US) riding when they are lit up would be my guess. They ride pretty damn aggressively when in pursuit, at least that's my take based on what I've seen. Flashing lights or not when you enter an intersection against the light or lane split with a HUGE delta, accidents are more likely, flashing lights or not.
    I don't think anyone here is suggesting you get a free ride with lights, but the way cars react when I'm lane splitting is much more positive when I have my Aux lights on. I'll take safe-"er" any day of the week even if it's only marginal.
    That.guy, morfic and mikegc like this.