Heather_B's "Buzz" 2019 F750GS Build Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AdamChandler, Aug 23, 2019.

1. DENALI Electronics

DENALI Electronics Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Adam

Heather's bike is looking great, and will definitely be seen! Do you mind if we post the pics in our
    Shine On And Show Us Your High Beams
    thread? I don't think there have been any 750s posted up there--people might be interested in seeing your build.

Thanks
    Your Denali Design Team
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Please go ahead but you may want to wait a few days. I'll be using my 'real camera' to take some day & night shots in a few days. These are just a shitty iPhone.
    DENALI Electronics likes this.
  3. DENALI Electronics

Oddometer:
    Adam

Thanks for posting up on that page. Those shots are great. In fact, I may need to have you do a portrait session for my 1250, just to have super sexy pics of my bike like that...:D

Your Denali Design Team
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    if you guys buy lunch, I’m down!
  5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to begin the roll out of all of these awesome Denali Videos & photos. For those who lack patience, you can simply visit these two links
    There's one BIG problem with the lighting videos. I never was able to get a video of the lights in action at night. I went to get a video of riding at night and we got snow...then more snow and today 6 more inches of it so with salt down, low temps and a brand new F750GS, Heather and I have agreed that we're going to save the "night riding. Denali" video for Spring unless we get a warm snap + rain that clears off all of the corrosive road salt long enough to get a good video.

The next few posts will be installation videos and a walk around video of the final product but no night shot but rest assured, Denali D2s + D7s are going to give out a TON of light.

[​IMG]
    Ulfhednar_42 and mikegc like this.
  6. donnh

donnh Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, great thread. Thanks for posting. My wife just bought a 2020 F750GS (non-TFT) and I'm starting the build process so this is really valuable. We are replacing her 2012 F650GS (twin) that now has over 70,000 miles and is getting shipped to Europe for a 4 month ride and it will stay there with my F800GS for future use (whoo hoo!).

Just a couple of questions: 1) Deby (wifey) only uses the Mosko panniers so I'm wondering if the Jesse racks are overkill? It seems you bought them for the option to use either hard or soft panniers? I'm leaning towards the Touratech racks but am undecided. I'm leaning towards the SW Motech Skid Plate, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on that. 2) Are you looking at headlight protection?

I'm going back and forth on the crash bars and am now leaning towards the Givi bars for many of the same reasons you mentioned. I just put a set on a Honda 500X and battled with the fitment but was happy with the final result.

Since we bought the non-TFT version I'll be adding Oxford heated grips and a TBD tire pressure monitoring system. Just in case anyone is interested... I'm also adding Kriega fork seal covers, and I always tuck in a Fuse Block FZ1 power distribution module for all the electronic farkles (aux lights, heated liner, GPS, heated grips, battery tender cable). I'm investigating lights but I'm a fan of Cyclops LED lights because they are a local company (Seattle area) and I can visit their factory if I have a problem, plus I think they have a good product.

Thanks for finding a center stand for a lowered bike, I'll get that on order. And, a big +1 for the Grip Puppies! We have them on all our bikes :)

Heather, I hope you enjoy the bike. Deby and I rented bikes for a month long ride in Spain and Portugal this past September and Deby was on the F750 and loved it. It was 3,000 miles +, all on-road, but she was rippin' through the curves on that bike with a huge grin from ear to ear. Fun, fun, fun.
    Heather_B and AdamChandler like this.
  7. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i saw the Cyclops Aurora/DRLs at the IMS in NY and i was pretty impressed, nice little light.
  8. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    #14 - 12-13-2019, The Dominator Resonator Delete / Link Pipe Install & Sound Test

Video for the "just the facts man" people:

For people thinking this feels like dejavu, well I already tried a resonator delete pipe from Remus back in August - https://advrider.com/f/threads/heather_bs-buzz-2019-f750gs-build-thread.1402719/page-2#post-38303872 You can read that review and see why I took it off. Basically, The Remus Pipe does not work with the Akrapovic Muffler. I saw one person saying it does work but a few posts on another forum saying it doesn't.

One person in that other forum said "well the dominator works" so I bought it. 99 Euros + 39 euros shipping to USA from NL. Took 2 weeks to get here from order (they cite 5 days production time). Install was a cinch.
    1. Remove T45 Clamp behind Cat
    2. Remove T40 clamp behind resonator
    3. Remove T40 hangler bolt
    4. Remove Heat shield w/ 2 T25 bolts
    5. slide resonator off
    6. Remove 1 rubber grommet from resonator and transfer to dominator
    7. Slide dominator in place
    8. Tigthen everything down!

Sound, heather says that the Remus + Akra Combo is louder and the Dominator is quieter than the Remus. I disagree but keeping this on the bike is no loner an issue of fitment, it's if Heather wants her bike this loud. I think the Remus was better built. It used both hanger bolts, it made a full U shape under where the resonator was so it's tucked under the bike more and it was slightly heavier. The dominator felt cheaper, flimsier and was more of a straight pipe which in turn made it louder at least in my opinion.

here are some photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    mikegc likes this.
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I PROMISE a proper update really soon. Was working on Heather's bike tonight and took a few photos. The next update will be about the Denali light setup. So sorry for the delay:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    mikegc likes this.
  10. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    #15 - The Denali Electronics Suite of Lights, Sounds & Flashing Things!

EDIT: Please ask questions. That's what makes the build thread so great. It's a "review' but then there's hopefully some follow up discussion. I invite @DENALI Electronics to jump in if they'd like or to correct me because I don't have all of the answers.

First, I apologize for the delay. I wanted to get everything right and we really didn't spend a lot of hours on the bike over the last month. Winter was coming, lots of work and some travel so we took our time. First of all, I updated this post where I link to all of the parts and I'm posting that updated parts list below. The Soundbomb crash bar mount technically worked but I didn't like it so I sent it back. The fender mount kit also didn't work as in I think it was incompatible so we moved to a fork mount kit. Less seamless but it works and is akin to what I'm running on my R1200GS w/ the Clearwater Darlas that use a fork mount in the same location. Here's the list of every part that's on Heather's bike from Denali / Twisted Throttle:
    @Heather_B had some opinions and I'm just going to paste that here:
    Well first of all, for total transparency, our work space is very small so ultimately Adam ended up doing a lot of the physical installation. I helped when and where I could so did get to see the process in its entirety.

Things I love:
    - I hear electrical changes can be a total pain in the butt, so the fact that the Denali lights and horn are all plug and play is really great. It certainly simplified the already semi-daunting process.
    - The computer app that allows you to customize your Denali experience was also VERY easy to use. That I did by myself and it was incredibly straight forward. Plus, you could mess around with the settings, turn the bike on, instantly see how your settings changes would change things practically, and then turn the bike off and fiddle with the settings again.
    - The overall quality of the lights are great. They are SO BRIGHT at their highest setting and just right for running lights at their lowest.​

They're expensive updates to the bike but since I'd absolutely classify lights and horn as safety features, I think they're worthwhile. It's basically winter here so my bike is officially stored but I look forward to using these Denali lights and horn as soon as Spring arrives.​

Heather had raised some concerns in the same email:
    • The horn hasn't worked since we installed it. Not sure why.
    • The left light has been flickering - and sometimes just straight up doesn't work.
    • The F750 GS is still very new so the clamps that came for the horn were not correct on three different occasions. Once we got the right fit, we were golden.
    Adam here....I have some explaining to do:
    I had crimped (cable managed) all of the cords coming out of the canSMART module. When I did this, the D7s and the sound bomb stopped working so I think for now, just keep those loose and don't tighten them down too much or at least don't treat them like twine / shoe-string. I think what I'll do is use some sticky squares that have zip tie terminations on them (like this) and line the cables to one side of the passenger pan but not wad all of the cables up and tighten down. This definitely caused an issue.

Another concern of heather's is when we put the D7s at 10% power, we get an intermittent flicking that goes away at 20% power. One other issue I had which was a bit surprising was that after I hand washed her bike (not power wash), the D7s stopped working on high beam and the horn stopped working. As soon as the bike dried, the issue went away. I think all of these issues are related to the module itself.

....THE above 2 bits are why it took so long to post this update. Denali ended up mailing me a new canSMART module. There were enough odd-things happening that they decided I needed to just get a new unit. I am convinced my over-zip-tying and tucking and squeezing and pushing everything pulled some things lose. In fact, I Know at least one wire coming into the can smart was out of the socket. Twisted Throttle covered shipping and sent me a new unit in a retail box. I mailed the old one back and every issue outlined above has gone away EXCEPT the 10% power flickering and this is common on a lot of bikes. When you set the LEDs to their lowest power setting, the bike usually won't send enough power to actually allow this to work. Once the D7s are at 20%, the flicking goes away. The horn works great, everything is fixed. so consider all of our concerns eliminated.

So I add a caveat to her comment about "simple install" it is plug & play but it doesn't mean you can pull wires through by the connectors, crimp them down where wires are bent a full 180 degrees and other stupid "abuses" I put them through. Don't treat them like fiber optic cable but do be careful and they should last a long time.

and just to be crystal clear. everything BUT the 10% flickering issue has gone away. A lot of LEDs flicker a bit when you set them at the lowest power setting. I think an average user would think there was something wrong so for end-user experience, I think the "lowest power setting" should be one that doesn't have that flickering. Even if you tell the user it's 10% and it's really 15%, if it eliminates flicking, the user won't care. Make sense? This is my only gripe but we're never going to run these lights at 10% so it will never affect us long term.
    -----

All LED lights are not made equal but even those that are made equal there is all kinds of other tech. There's how well they dissipate heat, the backplane that regulates power and ensures a steady flow, there's the waterproofness of the packaging, there's the wire gauge and how it's assembled to prohibit water in grass and there's the mounts that you need to get it all lined up. Finally, there's the integration. I hear a lot about people who can just go on eBay and spend $30 on 'driving lights" and adjust on-off from their handlebars. Yep, you can do that "so why would I spend $700 on D7s + $239 on canSMART + $79 on a mount?"

That's your choice but I will say that Denali is one of 2 companies making lights for BMWs in 2019 with the level of integration, finish, warranty (5 years on Denali lights) and customer service. The Chinese eBay sellers won't offer a warranty, won't offer mounts for your bike or any integration with the CanBUS system. It's more buttons to mess with and when water gets in, you have to buy another set.

The D2s and D4s have the awesome system where you can change the colors of the lights while still maintaining the waterproof nature. Clearwater will just sell you plastic covers. The D7s don't have optional covers yet but that's coming. The D2s also have the awesome Tri-Optic setup where you can get a wide and pencil beam with just 4 screws and a $20 cover change. Pretty awesome. The way the lights are terminated is great. You've got heavy shrunk rubber at both ends of the wires, the lights are covered in a plastic vinyl texture and the locking mechanisms are fool-proof. You can't put them in backwards, they only go one way and lock securely. The mounts were all fine. They do the job, nothing to say here about them as they work and that's all that matters. The can SMART system by default works pretty much how most people want it where you can strobe the brake light when you brake, horn does a front strobe and high beam puts all lights at 100%. canSMART is limited to 4 forward facing lights....I know that's not a limit for most of you but worth mentioning that your D7 + D2 or D4 + D2 is your maximum. If you want another set, BMW has a nice auxiliary light system that is plug & play they give you on the F850GS Adventure.

...then again, how much light do you really need? The sound bomb is insanely loud. The mount for this is a perfect fit. The B6 brake light is insanely bright. I wish we could have ridden Heather's bike around at night to really showcase things but winter hit us way too soon so this review is limited. I promise once Spring comes (around May), we'll do a full comparison against my Clearwater lights and also do some nice fly-bys and night riding with them. I think there's a lot more to talk about once we can actually ride the damn thing.

What I will say is that if you have no brand loyalty and are on the fence between Clearwater and Denali, it's a toss up to me. I personally have found that Clearwater's support was a lot faster and less by the book in like I had a light fail and while they were driving to a rally to setup a booth, the owner called me on a Sunday and overnighted me a light on a Monday at a random post office in Iowa and said "we'll get your credit card number and failed light back from you when you are done with your trip" because I was on a road trip. I have not had to test that with Denali / Twisted throttle yet but I doubt most companies will pickup the phone on a Sunday and mail you a replacement no questions asked as soon as the post office opens the next day. Denali does give you a 5 year warranty which is great. with a 50K hour life on most LEDs, I doubt you'll ever need it but those are the diodes, lots of other things can fail or people like me can happen and there's no guarantee that 5 year warranty covers stupidity. I guess I got lucky.

The packaging, the installation instructions, the software module and the fit & finish it's just really good on these lights. It feels premium far more than clearwater and above and beyond the "eBAY LEDs". while the actual output of the lights & how long they last is what matters most our first impressions are these lights are kick-ass! I love them, this is heather's bike and she loves them too.

An update on my disclosure from this post:

When I had some compatibility issues with the mounts, I expected them to replace them for me but I actually had to go through the standard support channels like any other customer. My contact at Twisted throttle which was in and out of very rallies & roadshows didn't respond for at least a month so me being who I am, I purchased new mounts out of pocket. The sound bomb & fork mounts I paid for myself and mailed back the 'on loan' ones. I was never reimbursed for the parts I bought which goes to show you all that I really don't mind spending money on the bike and appreciate that 90% of the cost of these is covered but as you can see from the post, I don't mind being honest about how I feel about these. Also, everything going on the bike is stuff I was going to buy anyway. It's nice when I get a discount but bigger picture, I don't put things on the bike just because they were cheap or free.

Now, on to photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here are videos:

The real "review" will happen after the snow melts (3 months from now). Stay tuned to this thread where we'll do a side-by-side comparison with Clearwater, do some rolling shots and night time videos.
  11. bikeymikey70

bikeymikey70 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Facebook post about fitting the link pipe, I think he means you Adam... Adjustments.jpg
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    bikeymikey70 likes this.
  13. DENALI Electronics

Oddometer:
    Hey Adam!

Thanks for the awesome review, and honest feedback! Since part of the reason we are present here on ADV Rider is to get that kind of feedback and attempt to improve and make our customers happy, we are really happy to see people take the time and offer up their true opinions.

Heather's bike looks great, and we can't wait to hear how she likes it once the spring arrives and she can really test everything out!

Cheers and thanks!
    Your Denali Design Team
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    #16 Sargent Seat for F750GS - "World Sport Performance PLUS Seat" with Black Welt. Low Version seat

Link to buy Sargent F750/F850GS Seats: https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/Sargent-Seats-BMW-F750-850GS/

Specifically, we bought: https://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Accessories/BMW-F750-850GS-PPlus/PPlus-WS-677-SE.html

Heather had a BMW OEM Low seat so we felt this was the closest match to that. I have ran heated Sargent Seats on my last 2 bikes but Heather for now does not have plans to ride in the cold like I do and this would obviously complicate the process of building out her bike with something that could fail and it adds $200 to the cost so we opted to not have this be heated. I'm okay with that. Makes the seat easier to sell when she sells the bike.

I admit that for this mod, I didn't give heather much of a choice on seats. I ordered this for her w/o showing her other options. There ARE other options out there. I've had Sargent seats on 3 motorcycles so far and I felt confident enough that this would be the best seat for her. I hope she finds it to be comfortable when we take some really long trips this year.

The OEM Seat is sort of a best of both worlds. It's flat enough that off roading is easier (enduro style) but has enough of a raise to make 2-Up nicer where your pillion is slightly higher than you. Sargent has 2 seats, one Enduro and one Touring so they were able to make the touring version have a very pronounced back lip that actually adds some riding lower back support...not a lot but I think it makes the experience much nicer for the 1st rider and the pillion section sits up much higher due to an increased amount of foam. Both front & rear riders have a wider area to sit so if you have an American Butt, you'll find this seat is a lot more comfy without being cruiser-couch-style of width.

For Pillions who like to hold on to the bars, this seat is so wide that it might be harder to get their fingers into the grab handles. Minor issue in my opinion for a more exceptional level of comfort. I'm a big fan of adding straps to side boxes so you could throw straps on your aluminum boxes and give your pillion a way to hold on that way.

Sargent is the only company I know of offering a 30 day no questions asked return policy which is about how long it'll take to break-in the new seat. It's their return policy and customer service that has made me go back to them again and again. For my last R1200 build, I bought a used Sargent seat and for I think $150, they re-covered it for me with a different welt and fabric to match my new bike. Good price considering they also added heat to that build and this was a re-covering + re-Foam on a front & rear seat.

Disclosure, I emailed Sargent in advance of my purchase and asked if they could offer me a discount. They are aware of my ADVRider threads, photos and YouTube videos and they offered a discount to me that is likely not a current promotion. I still love their seats and would have paid full price anyway. If you are trying to save every dollar. They generally do 10% off promotions during holidays like Veteran's day and Thanksgiving and sometimes a Winter promotion.

@Heather_B had some thoughts but note we haven't ridden this bike yet. It's -5F outside (seriously it's cold) so she won't have any riding thoughts until the season starts:
    From a design perspective, I really love the look of this seat - it's gorgeous. I obviously can't put it to the test in the salt/snow/ice situation we have going on in New Hampshire right now but it is definitely cushier when I sit on it than the OEM seat. I mention in the video that I had no problem with the original seat and that stands true but I will NOT be complaining about having a more comfortable seat for longer haul trips I hope to take this coming season. I can't really comment further until I've truly used the bike with this new seat. But my initial review is very very positive.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

mikegc likes this.
  15. RSDA

RSDA 2019 F 750 GS

Oddometer:
    New to the board (first post) and thrilled owner, as of a few days ago, of a new '19 750GS that my local dealer was clearing—a white Premium with all the bells and whistles. Spring can’t come too soon.

I can see that this is going to be a dangerous and potentially expensive thread to pour over. Oh dear. I’ve been through this before with a Triumph Tiger 800, and I can see it coming again.

I’ll keep on eye open for this beautiful bike on the road—I’m one state over in Portland.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    CONGRATS!

Do you have a pic of the new bike? Have you considered joining the BMW Southern Maine group - https://bmwrsm.org They have a great rally you may want to attend this year and of course the BMW MOA which has it's own huge group of riders. I'd of course like to see you and the bike in person at one of the events this year.

BMW Farkles seem to cost about 25% more than Farkles of most other brands. Triumph maybe being an exception but both brands are exceptional and I think you're gonna love the new 750. What year was your Triumph?

We were actually in Portland on Saturday and Monday doing some projects over at Phoenix cycles in Westbrook. Could have met up for a coffee.
  17. RSDA

RSDA 2019 F 750 GS

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info about the Southern Maine group. I'll check into that. I think I've seen them gather at Street Cycles in Falmouth, which is where I bought the bike.

The Tiger was a 2016 XRx. Great bike that I should probably never have sold. Loved that triple whistle. But I also really like the sound of the new GS (I test-rode this same bike last fall). I've owned three Triumphs but am happy to now be a first-time BMW owner.

This is the only pic I managed to grab when I stopped in to drop off my check. :)

Attached Files:

AdamChandler likes this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Nice yeah, going from a triple to a twin is gonna be rough some days. that sound.....I'd miss it, too. BMW's new Parallel Twin sounds pretty good, there are a few sound options such as eliminating the resonator or replacing the muffler. Either way, happy to help in the modification process and I hope I see you out on the road this year!
  19. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    March 3rd, 2020: FuzeBlocks FZ-1 and MotoPowerPuck along with 2 SAE to USB connectors for future expansion and touring charging.

Credit goes to @bb82bird for doing the majority of this work because he works on electrical bits for a living and this wiring needs to be reliable and last more than a few months. It would if I was doing it. This is also why we love the Denali CanSMART system because Plug & Play, I can handle. So thanks to him for helping us out.

Here's a video for people who just like watching things:

A few photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The biggest aspect of this install is in the final photo. See to the left of the FuzeBlocks, the blue Posi-Tap.....that's the trigger wire for ignition trigger. It's actually the same trigger wire that's on my R1200GS. This termination is just a fuse holder and there's a blue & red wire coming out of it. If you tap into it, that will be the wire you need to wake up the FuzeBlocks.

As for the tech specs:
    +/- are running to the battery but you'll notice with 3 positive leads (Trickle Charger, CanSMART, FuzeBlocks), we had to modify (cut) the plastic cover on the battery.
    3AMP fuse going to the MotoPowerPuck
    5AMP Fuze going to the dual USB Charger
    5AMP fuse going to a last SAE cable for future expansion (likely a heated seat or gear upgrade if Heather wants to purchase those in the future).

------

Install seemed super easy, we're not doing any cable management this time around because I want to make sure this setup is reliable and gets us through the year then next year if all is well, I'll really clean everything up and make it gorgeous. This is Heather's first full year of riding so I want the amenities to match her needs and that means the less zip ties, the better.
    bb82bird and mikegc like this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    @Heather_B sent me a list of some things she wants to buy before riding season officially starts from SW-Motech, Klim, Mosko Moto and REI....she was not happy with my response:

[​IMG]

• Note: She's a gov employee so gets a discount with Klim (everyone should see if they qualify for their VIP program, good savings)
    • Note 2: given the Twisted Throttle stuff, I think this is related to the build thread :p
    • Note 3: she knows I was joking but still, rookie numbers. I'm convinced her F750GS needs larger foot pegs, larger shifter and brake lever along with a side-stand foot enlarger but given it's her money being put up, she disagrees. I'd actually recommend she drop the skid plate and purchase those more ergonomic items over a skid plate since this bike won't be leaving tarmac.
    • Note 4: this is post 100!
    bb82bird and Solo Moto like this.