Heather_B's "Buzz" 2019 F750GS Build Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AdamChandler, Aug 23, 2019.

1. RSDA

RSDA 2019 F 750 GS

Oddometer:
    You're a bad influence. You're taking me back to my Bonneville days, when I was so farkle-obsessed that one day I came to the Zen realization that the solution to stopping with the farkles was to simply sell the bike. <ding>

Of course I've now started again with the incoming 750GS. Hasn't even arrived yet and I've got boxes of stuff waiting in the basement...AltRider rack, Givi box, Barkbusters, Madstad screen, plus various Denali accoutrements (have always installed Skene Design front/rear LEDs in the past, but I like the CANsmart plug-n-play vs. posi-tapping into wires) and Aerostich gear arriving soon. :fpalm
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    OOOH Aerostitch, I asked Heather to check that out as an alternative to Klim. Given she is touring and not off-roading, Stitch will last 10 years and be replenished.
    RSDA and mikegc like this.
  3. RSDA

RSDA 2019 F 750 GS

Oddometer:
    Went back and forth between the Aero and Klim. Decided that I preferred something that was just a solid color—hi-viz Darien with black AD1 pants. I owned the one-piece R3 in the past but just couldn't get over feeling a bit silly running errands in the city. #vanity
    AdamChandler likes this.
  4. iamadventurous

iamadventurous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any particular reason other than the discount you went with the Madstad over the Ztechnick which is considerably cheaper? Which size of the Madstad did you go with? I have a low suspension model with a low seat and am 5’5” so considering getting the shortest shield they have (16”). I thought about the Puig windshield but seems like it won’t work if I plan to install barkbusters (as I plan to).

5. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Well, I would have purchased this unit discount or not. This is what I sent them before I made the purchase, "Hey Team, I’ve started the build process for an F750GS. I’m going to buy your windscreen but am curious if you have any promotional discounts for people who do install videos and reviews?"

and they replied back I think with a 10% off code but seriously I was going to buy there's anyway. Here's why:

• Includes the turn signal winglets
    • Adjustable up and down
    • Adjustable out and in
    • Has an awesome RAM Mount Bracket which I was going to mount a GPS on

However, once the windscreen was installed, I realized that it'd be better to relocate the NAV bracket above the TFT instead of losing that function and installing the RAM ball so the RAM functions builtin to the Madstad were lost on me but still, if someone didn't want to use the Garmin NAV OR keep it in the OEM location (on the handlebars), then this RAM pad that comes on the Madstad is a nice place for an additional ball / arm for a phone or GPS.

This is the unit I ordered:
    • F750GS / F850GS (2018 - Up) × 1
    • 18 / Clear
    It also took 16 days from order to shipping. I know VStream windscreens ship next day because I've ordered 2 from them in the past.

Most importantly, heather loves the Madstad so mission accomplished in my opinion. I think the VStream looks nicer though.

PS: Found the receipt:
    • 18 / Clear $269.95
    • Discount $-26.99
    • Subtotal $242.96
    • Shipping $28.60
    • Total $271.56 USD

So I basically got free shipping :p hardly enough of a discount to sway my opinion of it good or bad but heather really likes it a lot so that's all that matters.

PPS: actually, I guess you could say I saved more like $50 when you count the YouTube revenue so far :p

[​IMG]

Any time a company gives me a discount, I really appreciate it but I know for sure unequivocally that these videos and reviews always give the company more value and while I could get all high and mighty and say "screw you, 10% off, whatever" every bit helps because it's a part I was going to buy anyway and I appreciate their offer even though in the grand scheme of things, I'm pretty sure I made them more than $26.99 in total sales from this video. but that's not what it's about...seriously I just enjoy installing Farkles and making videos. Making money or discounts is not the goal. I do know via amazon Affiliates that I moved $27,000 USD in products last year through affiliate links so the channel is helping some companies but getting something 100% free has happened in 1% of my cases. Most of the time, the companies don't reply at all.

Like the Puig Brake Reservoir covers on my R1200 GS. I emailed them...their response:
    At this moment we are not looking for any videos for our social media, but thanks for reaching out.​

as planned, I ordered them anyway and that video has 2,000 views which I hope got them a few sales. but if I were to only install stuff I get for free, this thread wouldn't exist.

I hope you don't mind me over-sharing but I think it helps that people know I am authentic and transparent here. discounts never sway my purchasing decisions or opinions.
  6. iamadventurous

iamadventurous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don’t mind at all! Thanks for the insight on the windshield.

p.s. I should add that as a newbie to the ADV world with a new bike I have found your build thread incredibly helpful. I think I bought my bike at the same dealer too! Max in Brunswick NY, even though I live in Central MA.

AdamChandler likes this.
  7. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    April 14th, Touratech's Rear Brake Pedal Extension. This mod isn't something Heather asked for but just a personal opinion is that the F750GS's lower controls are all very small and lack the surface area for comfort, adjustability and control standing or sitting. The pegs are tiny, the brake pedal is narrow (for an adv bike) and the shifter doesn't allow movement to compensate for your shoe size and the rubber will eventually wear down.

While I don't buy Touratech parts anymore if I can help it, I received a Gift Card and applied it toward their rear brake pedal enlarger.

Pros:
    • Single piece of aluminum with plenty of sections that would allow the piece to bend into the obstacle machine it'll sacrifice itself without ripping off or bending your metal brake pedal
    • Plenty of holes and surface gaps to keep mud and dirt from building up
    • Included Locking Nut will keep this on for a while w/o risk of falling off a thousand miles into a trip
    • Perfect fitment on the stock teeth
    • Price is right (against their competitors)

Who are the competitors?
    Here are a few photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

...and video. Not really necessary given how easy this is to install but some people like seeing videos over photos:

Major cons:
    • No instructions in the bag
    • The top of the button head is a bit too big I'd like something a little lower but this is just me being picky
    • Cost (I'm always amazed what these companies charge for aluminum bits)
    • heather can no longer ride barefoot.
    mikegc likes this.
  8. RSDA

RSDA 2019 F 750 GS

Oddometer:
    Because...?
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    moving from iPhone over to iMac so I can type a proper response.

Quite a few reasons:
    • Exclusively carrying Tractive suspension, Kahedo Tank Bags, Ortlieb Dry bags and Schuberth Helmets yet maintaining exclusivity so those products are only available from Touratech. Example, Tractive Liquid Cooled ESA Shocks for R1200GS bikes can only be purchased in USA from Touratech. You can't buy from Tractive where they would be $500 cheaper but cost more because they are exclusive from Touratech
    • They don't include instructions in their packaging. The only thing I can derive from this is they might alter instructions from time of packaging / manufacturing and like the ability to update the PDFs on their website w/o re-stuffing packages
    • They don't include LocTite or specialized tools in their packages like AltRider and other companies do where AltRider will send you a T55 and Loctite when you order their skid plate or crash bars
    • Touratech will make guards that truly have no place of being. When you look at the ADV Market, Touratech has long been a leader and a trusted brand riders look to and by diluting their brand by making a guard to cover a brake caliper or throttle body or starter is Touratech saying to customers "we're touratech, you need this on your bike...this product is solving a real design flaw that you an adventure rider will experience when you crash or drop your bike off road and without this part, you may be stranded" and the truth is, these Farkles are never going to be needed no matter how gnarly you ride but Touratech making it is them basically putting their clout behind it as "necessary adventure gear" and it truly moves the market where other companies like Puig or Wunderlich make that part too because well touratech does so we should as well and these parts shouldn't exist because they don't need to
    • Touratech's flat-rate shipping is fine but when I needed a tank bag strap that failed out of warranty, it took them a lot of time to dig up the strap (we don't sell them separately) and then they wanted to charge me $20 shipping and $30 for a strap on a Tank bag already too expensive. Back to my 1st bullet, Kahedo Tank bags sell these for around 100 euros. Touratech EU/DE sells these bags for 140 euros. Touratech USA charges $300 and then has the gusto to charge me a total of $50 for a replacement part that they don't even stock which was kind of them but I already felt bent over on the price of this tank bag
    • They don't keep replacement bolts in stock like many of their competitors. AltRider often for free will send me replacement bolts if I need them. Touratech won't. they give me the bolt sizes but they won't sell or send me bolts or parts that I need such as if I crash my bike and wear down their hub slider, they won't sell me a new plastic sider end piece. They have to sell me a brand new $150 slider bag when I all I need is the plastic bit on the end.
    • Back to my point about the DE versus USA pricing, their USA store has import taxes and tariffs and shipping but my god, the prices in USA are way higher than EU's store. I and a few other customers have actually purchased from Touratech Europe and hd them shipped to a buddy in Belgium and then had him mail them to us for way cheaper even after we pay VAT + global USPS shipping, it still saves money.
    • I've luckily never had to get a warranty claim processed by Touratech USA so I can't comment on that bit given my email exchanges with them, I just don't think I'll even bother if something fails.
    • Personally speaking, I also don't usually patronize companies on the west coast purely due to shipping delays, Waiting 7 days for a part is to long so I would order more things I do need from them if they had an east coast warehouse.

Wait a year and they’re $200 parts will be identially sold on eBay for 90% less with the same lack of instructions and after sales support. These Chinese based sellers are ripping off Touratech's designs and it's a huge issue for many manufacturers but when I crashed and a Chinese copy of a Touratech part that was $30 instead of $220 did just as well dragging 40 feet down tarmac and got me home w/o my final drive being damaged, it's hard to feel loyalty to Touratech aside from having the moral high ground.

Here are some parts for the R1200GS that don't need to exist in any way yet Touratech makes them and while the capitalist in me respects a company that's able to extract cash from their customers, I came up in the ADV world thinking Touratech was the defacto standard and if they make it, it must be required to have the ultimate adventure and when I drive now 3 R1200GS bikes into the ground with miles, off road, dirt, mud, rocks, get offs and crashes and realize these guards I spent thousands on never even benefited me, I may be stupid to spend all of my money on the touratech catalogue but I trusted they made products I needed because my bike was flawed when in fact, they just made guards for every open bolt hole on my bike so they could extract as much money from me w/o any intention of actually coming to my aid when I needed spare parts after purchase.

Now..here's the joke, I have nearly every one of these on my my big GSA and over time and experience and through having to deal with these modifications, I've learned how useless they are and Touratech usually leads the pack with these products and others follow so I'd like to see Touratech shrink their massive catalogue to only the parts world travelers need and do a better job of supporting customers after the purchase has completed. Europeans may have a more positive view of Touratech but as an American, I always sigh when I have to go to their site to buy something. The only reason I bought their brake expander was because I had a gift card.

I know that was probably more than you wanted to hear :p sorry!
    drneo, Ritch814 and turtlespeed like this.
  10. Solo Moto

Solo Moto Hands are bruised from breakin’ rocks all day

Oddometer:
    Alrighty, then.

I don’t buy Touratech stuff due to their ridiculous pricing. And I’ve spent thousands on aftermarket gear (wife- if you’re reading this - it’s ALL “safety equipment” to help keep me alive!). :deal

I do, however, enjoy attending their annual rally West in Plain, WA. They put on a well-organized, fun event.

One more dick move against them: they do not allow Mosko Moto to attend their rally as they are a competing luggage vendor. They actually dis-invited them a couple years ago, Really? Get over yourselves, already. :asshat

Yea, fuck you, Touratech! :ksteve
    AdamChandler and SnoDrtRider like this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    I know to many my response was WAY more than they asked for but I wanted to list all of my personal reasons. I will still buy their stuff if I need to.

Great point on the Mosko feud they started up which no one ever would have thought was an issue until Touratech made it one.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    A few things are incoming that I wanted to share. Looking forward to installing them and thus will complete phase 2 of Heather's Build. Phase one was wrapped up when these photos were taken - https://advrider.com/f/threads/heather_bs-buzz-2019-f750gs-build-thread.1402719/page-5#post-39173348

Phase 2:

I'll be updating some of the 1st few photos linking to these & prices for posterity of the build. most will arrive this week and I'll make each mod its own post.

We're still trying to decide on tank bags and a tail bag and we're thinking the SW-motech Pro line of tank bags + the SW-motech Jetpack will be what we go with. It may be that we hold off on tail bag and just run my Mosko Duffel on the rear for now. TBD!
    mikegc likes this.
  13. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd ask what features or qualities is she looking in a tank bag? A bunch of internal storage or just be able to drop something in? Is the tank bag for more around town or just for trips?
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    @Heather_B can jump in and answer although she's currently building a 2,000 piece puzzle so it may take a while :p
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

BIG DAY! Heathers license plate came!
    Solo Moto, TimmyTheHog and mikegc like this.
  16. Gus_1869

Gus_1869 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice plate...I like it.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. Duitser

Duitser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If this is your personal reasons why dont you keep it personal.
    Slamming Touratech this much on a public forum, carefull it dosnt bite you.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    If Touratech never sells me another product, I won't cry over it.

What is your personal reason for wanting me to keep it personal? Do you work for Touratech?

This is a forum where people share their personal opinions all day so I see no reason why I can't be honest here. Touratech will never notice any lost sales from my opinions. I'm a nobody, they're a global company with millions of customers. They'll be fine.

Edit: and since you don't want to be personal in public, please send me a private mail so we can discuss. I don't want to further upset you and maybe you have more to add.
  19. Duitser

Duitser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No I definitely dont work for them but I get the impression they do not want to give you stuff the way it suits you.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Makes sense. I just bought a brake pedal from them so they're still selling things to me. I buy what I need but they're not the first place I go. I gave enough details to indicate why they've lost the majority of my business. Nothing was dramatic, all facts based on my experience. consumers can still buy from touratech if they want.