Heather_B's "Buzz" 2019 F750GS Build Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AdamChandler, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Duitser

Duitser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem
    AdamChandler likes this.
  2. Heather_B

Heather_B New Rider

Oddometer:
    Hey there! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I'm not as quick to the keyboard as I should be.

I think there are only two things I want in a tank bag:

• Fully Waterproof without the use of an added layer (From what I can tell, this immediately eliminates a LOT of options)
    • Storage-wise I don't need a ton of space. I'd like easy access to wallet/other small necessities but nothing crazy size-wise. I don't think I want anything huge in that space on the bike
    AdamChandler likes this.
  3. WADE-O

WADE-O Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think those are some pretty simple things you are asking for in a tank bag. I'm a Mosko guy personally because I like that all of their tank bags can be interchanged without having to install any hard parts like the sw motech tank bags. However, the sw motech tank bag quick release is a pretty good feature set to have. So my recommendation would be either the Mosko Moto Hood or Pico tank bags since they share a harness you can swap between the two of them with four buckles. I think the pico is a great tank bag for whenever you are riding around town and just need to have a place for phone and wallet. Then the Hood is a great size for anytime you travel because some of the internal organizers can become your wallet so you eliminate some space requirements. The hood is also awesome because it's one buckle and you're in the tank bag. To answer your requirements both bags are waterproof without the need for a cover. Mosko has also just released a molle phone pouch that can be put on top in case you're using your phone for navigation or whatever. These are just my thoughts :)

https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-tank-bags/products/hood

https://moskomoto.com/collections/motorcycle-tank-bags/products/pico-tank-bag-1
    AdamChandler and Heather_B like this.
  4. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    check out the Cortech Super 2.0 Magnetic Mount Motorcycle Tank Bag. They come in couple of sizes. I have the 18L and it is quick to throw on the bike, sticks well and best is that it converts into a backpack once off the bike (so I can put on my shoulders). It also has a hydration blader port.

I use it to ride and hike (works ok for short few hour long day hikes).

if you have any questions, I can answer.

i like the organization features of Mosco Moto Nomad , but at $220 it was too pricey for me. I got my Cortech on ebay for $75.
    AdamChandler and Heather_B like this.
  5. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Will/Does the magnetic mount work on the 750/850 GS with the plastic tank covers?
  6. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    not sure.

I have a R1150gs and a Honda NT700V and both have metal tank, so it works rather well.

The layout of the bag is such:
    1) 4 Magnets on the bottom of the bag
    2) 4 Magnets on the flaps
    3) Security strap in front.

Magnets are strong and even if 4 can grip the tank, I think for road riding it should be fine.

They make versions with a quick release tank strap mount too if the magnetic version doesn't work for you.

One super advnatage of magnetic mount (main reason I bought) was ease of refilling , just pull up the bag, rest over the bars, fill and stick it back.

tank bag.jpg
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    I use an SW Motech "City" tank bag probably a bit larger than Heather wants but it is quick release and attaches to the bike via a ring that mounts to the fuel cap screws.
    There are smaller bags available from SW but the City follows the lines of the GS tank nicely.

They are a bit pricey but this is the third bike this bag has been on so you just need to get the proper ring for any bike you get in the future.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. SnoDrtRider

Oddometer:
    This is the set up from my 800GS which had no fuel filler in the "Normal" location because the tank was under the seat... IMG_20161019_195631.jpg
  9. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    3 new modifications installed (photos & videos to come probably tomorrow) but even better news, heather and I are taking our first ride of the year on Buzz today!!!!
    ab8mi likes this.
  10. ab8mi

ab8mi BMW 850 GS

Oddometer:
    Guadalupe.jpg I have this Givi (602), on mine it is quick release and about 4 liters, with plenty of room and easy on and easy off. Carry my sun glasses, wallet, ear plugs, firearm of the day, weatherman, flashlight, waterproof cover, charge cord and still have lots of room left over.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Buzz got a bath before our first ride of the year. You'll see a few modifications are pictured here but the videos are still encoding so I'll post up those as separate entries in the next day or two:

Pre-Season Wash & Wax:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ab8mi and mikegc like this.
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    RSDA, TimmyTheHog, ab8mi and 3 others like this.
  13. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    AdamChandler likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    5-2-2020: AltRider Side Stand Enlarger for the BMW F 850 / 750 GS

Note, I received 15% off on this item I believe primarily for overall loyalty but AltRider is aware that I post photos & videos of modifications but no formal agreement is in place on positive or negative reviews, they just have a long-standing discount with me.

Video:

Photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This enlarger is a 2 piece design with 5 T25 Nuts that require thread-locker be applied. It's well built and this is my 4th bike with an AltRider side stand enlarger. I like the unique lip on the outside which provides extra dig-in against sinking sand / mud forming a resistance barrier. This enlarger does not interfere with my heal when riding and tucks away nicely. It's smaller than the one on my R1200GS which is logical given the lighter weight of the 750/850. Heather and I find ourselves regularly parking in dirt in Vermont so this is one of those must-have mods on every bike we have.
    mikegc and ab8mi like this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

Note, I received 15% off on this item I believe primarily for overall loyalty but AltRider is aware that I post photos & videos of modifications but no formal agreement is in place on positive or negative reviews, they just have a long-standing discount with me.

Video:

Photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The F750GS comes with a fairly decent rack that is an ABS plastic, very strong, rugged with strong OEM thread-locker on 6 T30 Bolts. However, tie-down points are lacking on that rack and its width can feel limited if you're using a 40L or larger dry duffel. This rack, while expensive has a few nice features

• Very wide and most bags won't hang over the edges
    • RotoPax Mounts
    • Tie Down points at every side of the rack
    • No interference with even aftermarket seats & panniers
    When camping, we like to bring 1 gallon of water with us in a rotopax so this will solve that need and Heather also uses a 40L Mosko Duffel so the extra tie-downs will help.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

Video:

Photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Minor gripes about this product & the build:
    • The mounts on each side were a bit flimsy...weight savings is good and it's not as if I think this product won't do its job but you can grab the center of the Lexan and move it left and right and the bracket just sort of moves with it which might be an issue if the bike vibrated a lot
    • The Lexan came with manufacturing 'muck' still affixed so QC could be improved but this muck came off after a wash
    • The cut of the Lexan didn't follow the headlights lines very well. Could due for an improved cut pattern to more accurately match the shape of the headlight
    • The mounting brackets are almost incompatible with the Madstad Windscreen Winglets. This is not AltRider's fault but in the video, I had to spend a lot of extra time marrying everything up.

Pros:
    • Very nice build
    • Great hardware
    • very light
    • Competitive price (even though margins on these things are always questionable and that's industry wide)
    • Perfect Fit
    • Swappable. you can replace the Lexan with the mesh in 2-3 seconds so it's nice if you ever wanted to change that down the road and not have to remove the mounts.
    mikegc likes this.
  17. Heather_B

Heather_B New Rider

Oddometer:
    On May 2nd we went for a ride. I can finally comment on two things now that they've been put to use:

1. Sargent Seat
    I didn't think I needed an upgraded seat until I used the upgraded seat. It wasn't a super long ride - I need to gain confidence while riding and figured a good 45 minute ride with nothing more offensive than a stall out at a hilly stop sign was a good place to start. Anyways, I think I could ride for hours on that seat without too many complaints. It's so cushy and nice. The only thing we'll have to see as time goes on and rides get longer is whether the width is problematic for my hips. I've always been prone to small cramps in my hips and I experienced that on this ride in my left hip. I didn't last year with the stock seat. It probably had more to do with my body placement than anything else, but worth keeping an eye on. In any case, I already love this seat. So. Dang. Comfy.

2. Brake Pedal Enlarger
    Last season I was prone to accidentally tapping the brake pedal with my boot. I was concerned that making it even bigger wasn't going to end well for me. I think with it being more pronounced I'm actually much more aware of it -- I tapped it once at the very very beginning of the ride and not again.

I know a LOT has been added over the winter so as I notice how these new additions impact my rides I'll continue to provide some feedback.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:

It's been almost 6 months since I installed Denali's on the F750GS but as soon as they were installed, snow flew and salt when down on the roads and that was it for riding. Finally got out at night and recorded the setup

This is Denali's D7 + D2 (amber) + B6 + Soundbomb all going through the CanSmart system. I'm still amazed at how easy it was to install then configure then just go out and ride and it all works. Insanely bright.

Most importantly, Heather will be seen with the orange D2s running all of the time, second she'll be heard when the sound bomb blows up and triggers a light strobe and if she's caught riding after dark, high beam is like the ark of the covenant and no deer are going to be in her way or not seen as she's driving. I love this setup for her. When I came home last night, "I knew you were coming before I even heard you" Heather said.
    Heather_B likes this.
  19. RSDA

RSDA 2019 F 750 GS

Oddometer:
    AltRider does make awesome products, but I just went through an issue with this rack on my 750GS.

I bought the rack with the Givi Monokey accessory kit so I could use my Monokey V47, which is a pretty common Givi top case. The AltRider rack is HUGE on the 750—so wide that it interfered with two "lips" on the underside of the V47, making it impossible for the box to latch to the rack. After fiddling around with extra washers, etc., I had to send it back (well past the return window, because I had ordered it over the winter, but they kindly charged me only a restocking fee).

If you're buying it for a top case, just check the underside of your case before you start the rack install. If it's completely flat, you're all set. Otherwise, check to see if the box can sit flat on the rack before you try to install.

Outside of these technical issues, I really did feel that the rack looked over-sized for this bike. Although mine was the silver...I'm sure the black recedes a bit more.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    AltRider didn’t fit the rack to the F750GS. In fact, it’s identical in width to the R1200GS Top rack they sell just with different holes to accommodate the F750GS mounting locations so I agree, it’s dominating the tail in size and they should have scaled it down slightly.