Heather_B's "Buzz" 2019 F750GS Build Thread

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AdamChandler, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Gyrolion

Gyrolion Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike is looking good! And plenty of lights..!!

How is the sounds of the dominator link pipe compared to stock? Is it ok or is it to loud?
    I'm on the fence on buying one because I think the resonator block is taking away to much of the sound. (I also have the akropivic muffler)
  2. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    We haven't done any highway riding yet just round town but it sounds better than stock and I don't find it too annoying when I'm sitting on it. I'm not really sure if Heather will keep it long term but we won't really know until we do a full day in the saddle.
  3. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Going out for a ride with @Heather_B on Buzz today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Heather_B, ab8mi and mikegc like this.
  4. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    May 12th, 2020: Cheap Amazon highway Pegs were installed:

Installed these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JB1YXBX

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Video:

----

Heather Test Fit them and they're okay. I'd like to raise up the passenger side a bit as I didn't realize how much difference each side crash bar is designed so I put the right side a bit too low. Remembering that this is a road bike almost 100% of the time, these will do well on long days in the saddle on the interstate. Heather doesn't think she'll use these any time soon but they were affordable (sub-$50) and tuck away when not in use.

There are pricier, made in America and better built highway pegs out there but I think these will do okay for a bit and if they fall apart and rust, no big deal.
    mikegc and turtlespeed like this.
  5. Mdh01

Mdh01 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the same foot pegs and they work great.

Yes, there is a different brand available for three times the cost, but so far, this lower cost option has worked fine!

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_7679.jpg
    Heather_B, mikegc and AdamChandler like this.
  6. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Five new accessories added to Buzz this evening:
    [​IMG]

Can you identify them all?

Two are made by Wunderlich and 3 are made by SW-Motech. These will each have their own post but (and I mean it this time), Buzz is fully complete as far as my work is concerned. Heather would like to still purchase a tank bag (probably SW-Motech) and in a year or two, we'll upgrade the suspension but this was primarily ergonomics improvements, serviceability and a tiny bit of protection and now Buzz Is ready for the open road!
    Heather_B likes this.
  7. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    found 4..

upload_2020-5-20_6-36-15.png
  8. Heather_B

Heather_B New Rider

Oddometer:
    Man, I went to bed at 10:30 while Adam was downstairs tinkering with my bike. Wake up at 6am to realize he was up until 2am finishing everything. Amazing. THANKS, ADAM!

(I DID know he was determined to get this done fast because we have some gorgeous weather up here this week).
  9. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    Good eye! BUT you missed the center stand!!!! Low-Suspension F750GS Bikes do not come equipped with a center stand and while I totally get why (it robs the bike of even more ground clearance as it has to go under the chain), it was in our opinion essential for serviceability of the bike but only because heather will not be riding in areas where she needs more than 4" of ground clearance. If that ever starts happening, we'll have to figure something else out.

Yep! I think it was 9PM to 1:45AM with the center stand being about 2 hours of that because I had to remove a lot of OEM parts to get to the mounting brackets. MOST people probably won't want to do the center stand install as it requires a high torque wrench and a T60 Torx.
    Heather_B likes this.
  10. Heather_B

Heather_B New Rider

Oddometer:
    We used our lunch break to take a ride around the two lakes in town, so I can comment on ALL FOUR mods Adam completed last night.

1. Engine guard: I guess I can't really comment on this one. As far as I can tell it did it's job. :)

2. New foot pegs: I LOVE these. I was very iffy about whether I wanted bigger but the rubber on these makes them so comfy. It really absorbs vibration.

3. New shifter: I got incredibly mad and frustrated at times on our ride. Adam was lucky our comms weren't connected. I'm sure this shifter is great. But I saw Neutral FAR MORE than I would've liked until I figured out how hard I needed to kick it to shift between the full gears. The OEM shifter made it almost impossible for me to find Neutral while I was riding. I'm going to give it more time (and I'm not having him adjust the placement of it just yet) but we'll see what I ultimately decide about this one.

4. Center stand: I haven't used this yet for service, of course, but Adam did have me get the bike on the center stand myself (while he spotted me). SUPER easy to get up on the center stand solo and definitely excited that service will be easier for us moving forward.

Overall I felt super relaxed and it was a nice, comfortable ride. Only exceptions were those hiccups to Neutral a few times but I got past those.

Oh, and unrelated to those four things but possibly helpful feedback for other women: I wore my new Klim Artemis pants that just came in and I LOVE them. They're perfect.
    mikegc likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    SPOILER ALERT! I haven't finished editing the videos yet.

FIVE
  12. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    May 20th, 2020: Wunderlich Engine Protection Cover F750GS / F850GS

Buy Here: https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/f750f850-engine-protection-cover-black.html

This is an EXPENSIVE Farkle for a bit of plastic and 3 bolts. First, it's wunderlich and their margins are very good and more power to them. There is always some value to their modification even if it's less than what they charge. In this case, yes these covers will get scuffed, scratched, dinged over the years from use so these are really cool. They're exceptionally perfect in fit, very strong they are well thought out and I think you should probably wait for China to rip them off and save 80% if you're cheap :)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Video:
    mikegc likes this.
  13. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    May 20th 2020: Wunderlich Side Stand Switch Protector F750GS / F850GS

Buy Here: https://www.wunderlichamerica.com/wunderlich-side-stand-switch-protector.html

Here's the thing, after years of off-road mis-haps with my R1200GS boxer brothers where a stupid limb or rock damages a side-stand switch and leaves us stranded for an hour while we hack a work-around, this is usually a nice mod. BUT in this case, BMW's 750/850 platform actually has a built in protector already. So this mod is completely pointless. BMW has you covered off the showroom floor. But I wanted to get free shipping so I added this part equivalent in cost to shipping from the vendor and so it was a 'free mod'? and therefore amazing!

It does cover more than BMW's OEM protector but you gotta be in some gnarly stuff for this to save your bike.

Photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Video:
    mikegc likes this.
  14. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    May 20th, 2020: SW-MOTECH ION Dual Position Foot Peg for F750GS / F850GS

Buy Here: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-on-road-off-road-footpeg-kit-for-bmw-s1000xr-15-16

WELL WELL WELL. this is the single most best modification for touring. When I first test-drove this bike on behalf of Heather because she had yet to get her motorcycle license, I quickly was like "these are footpegs? yeah, they were and if you want to do a 1000 mile day on this bike. you have to get larger pegs. The beauty of these things are like 4-fold

1. Cost.....very competitively priced compared to a lot of smaller brands
    2. Modular you can have the rubber pads or the super sharp teeth
    3. They are adjustable height wise. You can make then 15MM lower or OEM height
    4. They're really well designed, beautiful and comfortable.

Heather really enjoyed her ride today on them and I think if she gets to take a thousand mile day with me she's going to be comfortable not knowing the Hell she'd be in doing that same ride on the stock foot pegs. There are better pegs out there for off roading but these are really well suited for her and well crafted!

Photos:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Video:
    Heather_B, mikegc and BioStrom like this.
  15. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    May 20th 2020: SW-MOTECH Adjustable Folding Gear Shift Lever / F850GS

Buy Here: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-...-lever-for-bmw-f750gs-f850gs-f850gs-adventure

I gotta admit, I didn't really ask Heather if she wanted this. BUT 2 years ago, I bought this shifter for my R1200 GS Adventure because I have huge feet and it has completely changed the way I control my bike. I can shift sitting or standing, no effort or yoga poses to do it. I have a size 13 boot and the shift response, finding neutral, it's just a perfect shifterl

So, I bought this for Buzz and I hope Heather learns to appreciate this shifter as I have. It's an easy install, the adjustability is great. You can raise or lower the shifter (but that's an OEM feature) but more importantly you can bring the shift arm in or out depending on your shoe size and we'll adjust this for heather over time based on her feedback. It works with Shift Assist Pro, it's billet aluminum, black an has minimal branding.

I've had mine installed for 14K miles on my boxer GS And don't want to go back to stock.

Photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Video:
    mikegc likes this.
  16. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    May 20th, 2020: SW-MOTECH Center Stand For BMW F750GS Low Suspension / F850GS

Buy Here: https://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-center-stand-for-bmw-f750gs-19-with-lowering-kit

First of all, this product is VERY easy to screw up. It requires a ton of development and engineering. I paid full price but I have to kiss SW-Motech's butt for a second when I say that the work that went into this is HUGE. The plates they give you, the parts, the actual stand and how perfectly it sits level with what I expected to be a very hard deployment action and what I mean by that is this bike is LOW and deploying this center stand is easy. It shouldn't be. The angle just isn't conducive to deploying a center stand then it sits perfectly level and it rests on these two perfectly placed M8 bolts and with just the right amount of spring tension to come right back up after you pull the bike forward and when riding behind heather, if she hits a pothole, the center stand does not move (which my R1200GS center stand will bang around on rough terrain) and so I thin SW-Motech in their development of this hit a total home run.

Now, why did we get this? Well you need to consider your needs. The F750GS LOW does not have a center stand and rightfully so because if someone is altitude challenged and wants a GS and wants to take it off road, they're stuck with this bike and their ground clearance is seriously low. Like this thing is probably 4" closer to the ground than my R1200GSA so if BMW were to keep the center stand, that'd rob and additional 1 - 1.5" of clearance from an already low bike. The did the right thing by making this unavailable BUT I would have liked to see an OEM factory option and I would have ordered that instead had I not realized how well built this was.

Heather never plans to rider he bike off road. Like 90% (literally according to BMW) GS riders, she'll never leave pavement except Vermonts unpaved normal roads that are perfectly smooth so to her, the serviceability of this bike Is huge. If we get a flat or need to do maintenance like an oil change, a center stand a major touring bike feature and she wasn't using that ground clearance anyway.

Install....well it's a center stand that holds the entire weight of this bike so it has to be robust which means a super rugged mounting system. The springs are insanely hard to install w/o special tools, the fun removal of frame bolts, pegs, shifter and front socket cover is a lot of work. this is a 2 hour install with the proper tools but it works...and brilliantly.

Most F750 / F850GS owners will never have to contemplate buying this because their bike came with one. Heather's did not and so we're stoked to have it on the bike. While the install was time consuming, SW-Motech put out a top notch product.

Photos:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Video:
    Heather_B and mikegc like this.
  17. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    .....well, it's my opinion that Phase THREE? is complete. Heather's bike we brought home in August and if you look at this post, everything before 9-02 was Phase 1, this was the setup that Heather took to her first motorcycle rally in Vermont. I considered Phase TWO to be everything from lines 10 - 14. and Phase 3 well it's been ongoing because we had a long Winter in New Hampshire but basically 14-27 were all done through Winter and the only reason I didn't get everything done before riding season 2020 is because while Twisted Throttle never replenished stock so I waited on 4 items to come in stock for 6 months, I finally ordered from an Italian vendor, SD Moto Parts and then customs took 4 weeks delivering to me so everything was held up.

BUT the good news is, Heather's bike is done. Now, what's next?

1. Tank Bag (Preferably SW-motech)
    2. Tail Bag (same, SW-Motech's Jet-Pack)
    3. Skid Plate (waiting on AltRider)
    4. Harder and improved crash bars (AltRider, get your shit together and stop bending over backwards for KTM models)
    5. Rear shock (Winter 2020/21 project if Tractive / HyperPro make available a low-suspension rear shock with pre-load and damping adjustments state-side)

Either way, here are some photos of Stage 3 alongside stage 1 and 2!

OEM:
    [​IMG]

Phase 2:
    [​IMG]

Phase 3:
    [​IMG]

OEM:
    [​IMG]

Phase 1:
    [​IMG]

Phase 2:
    [​IMG]

Phase 3:
    [​IMG]

OEM:
    [​IMG]

Phase 1:
    [​IMG]

Phase 2:
    [​IMG]

Phase 3:
    [​IMG]

------

HUGE Transformation. Here's every photo I took today, May 20th 2020 after the bike is 'complete' for this stage:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I love this bike. I wish it was taller but it's not my bike. It is beautiful though and it's perfectly sized for Heather. I honestly am now more than ever looking forward to thousands of miles with her beside me on the open road on this bike. She's a partner in life with me and I hope a partner in motorcycle travel. Building this bike up represents an investment from me in what I hope are many years of us traveling together. Her skills are growing, her confidence too. I think she's going to be a great rider and has a bike that will grow with her over time.

This build thread is not dead but it's going to be quiet for a bit because hopefully, she and I are out together on adventures on our bikes :)
    jmcarter, Heather_B, Peby and 2 others like this.
  18. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
  19. iamadventurous

iamadventurous Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Quick question about a small mod. Could you share the exact ram mount used for the phone stand?
  20. AdamChandler

Oddometer:
    RAM Diamond Ball Base https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KO5XVU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_P5L9EbTBF5HH8
    RAM Motorcycle Handlebar Clamp Base with M8 Bolts https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J43I56/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_45L9EbTXGH7VR
    RAM Double Socket Arm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJA5ZY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_c6L9EbCMJ3KEH

that’ll allow you to screw the Perfect Squeeze onto the ball then attach to arm then tighten down to your handlebar upper clamp.