1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Heavy Duty Tube vs Mousse vs Tubliss - Best on TECHNICAL stuff?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by pingvin, Aug 1, 2017.

?

Which is best?

1. Heavy Duty Tube

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  2. Mousse

11 vote(s)
    29.7%
  3. Tubliss

17 vote(s)
    45.9%
  1. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So not for tarmac or gravel roads but rocky, slippery, steep, tricky conditions.

Guess poll works best if those voting have tried all alternatives here.
  2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guys who use tubliss swear by it: you can air down to 5psi and yet not to worry about damaging rims.. works like rim lock and saves some weight too. On down side cost and need to be careful mounting/dismounting, co-worker had one destroyed by shop monkey. and where is 17"??
    Hi-De-Ho and pingvin like this.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I used tubliss in my KTM350. Worked well, but you need to change tires by hand after it's installed.
    pingvin likes this.
  4. MX Engineer

MX Engineer Alta Redshift MXR is the best dirt bike ever!

Oddometer:
    There is one more option - Tube Saddle. I have it on my electric bicycle to keep the pinch flats off and rims protected. It works beautifully. You just have to check the air pressure a few hour after the installation and after the first ride because the foam gets compressed by the pressurized air.

A Mousse would be my second choice, if I thought that it would give me the "tire pressure" that I want. The installation requires both strength and skill, but you never have to check or adjust air pressures or worry about flats.

I tried and didn't like Tubliss because it was always slightly leaking, and I had to check 4 air pressures before I could ride. I used a green goop inside the tire to try to seal the micro leaks, it wasn't helping much, but surely was making tire changes very messy. It also depends on the inner surface quality/smoothness of the tire that you are using. YMMV.
    ozrodder and pingvin like this.
  5. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd go mousse, but with me being cheap, i run heavy duty tubes, and dont air down past 14psi.
    ohgood and pingvin like this.
  6. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Used both mousse and Heavy Duty and was happy with both, main advantage with mousse IMO is not worrying about puncture. Tempted trying Tubliss though to reduce pressure even more for better traction. And easy carrying seal plugs in case of puncture.
  7. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Yup, those are the two main pluses of tubeliss. I used to air down to about 7 psi for dirt on my KTM and also have fixed a flat with a sticky string.

It's a good idea to carry a spare inner tube in your truck in case you puncture it. Never happened to me, but it did to others in my group.
  8. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also as opposed to mousse, riding on tarmac is fine with Tubliss. Though mainly do technical riding some tarmac transport is sometimes required.
  9. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    I must be really slow because I run 6psi in the back and 8 in front with uhd tubes. My not making something has nothing to do with not low enough air. I'll stick with what I know.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  10. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's too low, too many sharp rocks around here. A buddy used pressure similar to you but after several punctures (with heavy duty tubes) he realized he had to increase. Most of us run 0.8 bars front and rear (11-12 psi), then you're fairly sure you won't have a puncture.

On a side note, the Mitas EF-07 rear tyres have incredible grip even in the wet, rubber comes in three compunds, yellow stripe (hardest...but still very soft), green stripe (softer) and 2 green stripes (softest). These are intended for extreme enduro and is almost like cheating. You can twist the knobs 90 degrees with your fingers! Matching front tyre is C-19.
    twinrider and cyclopathic like this.
  11. Yard Sale

Yard Sale let's be bad guys

Oddometer:
    I used to run my UHD and trials tire down to 6 psi but I was very careful. Now I've got Tubliss and use it at 5 psi with a Shinko 505. It gets me at least 80% of the trials tire traction in conditions like this.

[​IMG]

Never used a mousse but simulated 13 psi traction isn't like 5 psi traction. I used to ride at 13 psi with tubes.

I also use Tubliss on my trials bike at 4/6 psi but that's a whole 'nother ballgame.
    cyclopathic and pingvin like this.
  12. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    No problems yet (course having said that tomorrow I'll probably get flats on both tires) with over 2,000 miles of new England woods. But then like I said I'm probably a hell of a lot slower than I think I am or as fast as any of you are. Running golden tire fatty in front and the 216 rear. I started at 12 and wound up where I am. Most those miles are on my 500 exc only around 300 on my 300xcw.
    pingvin likes this.
  13. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Yes, I had no problem even riding highway.
    pingvin likes this.
  14. twinrider

Oddometer:
    The main reason I installed tubliss was so I could fix flats with a sticky string.
    pingvin likes this.
  15. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really want Tubliss...but hesitating since realizing more maintenance and more complicated after looking more into it. And got a good deal on Michelin Mousse. Maybe next time...

Good video:

16. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Nice review but in two years of use I didn't experience any of the issues he reported. I'd check the pressure before a ride and air up after if I was riding back. Otherwise I just checked it the next time. Always had the tire tread wear out before the sidewalls. Never suffered any pinch flats.
  17. ChasM

ChasM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good review. I have successfully been using Tubliss front and rear since its inception. Prior to Tubliss I would get periodic pinch flats unless I ran absurd psi levels however with Tubliss I have never had any pinch flats although my wheel rims do occasionally get dinged.
  18. pingvin

pingvin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well...went for mousse for 2 reasons:

1. Zero risk for puncture, no need to bring any tool/tube/repair kit
    2. No maintenance

Not that much tarmac, normally max 15min transport, for my 450 anyway. About to buy DS bike, possibly 690, then I'll strongly consider Tubliss and bring plug kit for simple punctures but also tube as back-up if far from civilisation.

Thansk for your input guys :clap
  19. MX Engineer

MX Engineer Alta Redshift MXR is the best dirt bike ever!

Oddometer:
    I have a cool tech solution to the annoying task of checking 4 tire pressures on a bike equipped with Tubliss. It is TPMS!

There is a bunch of various systems available, those that screw on top of the valve stems and talk to your cell phone and/or standalone alarm units. Fobo Ultra is one of them. It supports pressures up to 188psi.

https://my-fobo.com/Product/FBULTRA
    cyclopathic likes this.
  20. miksu

miksu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    T-lock concept or tubliss installed in the same way. I dont see a need for the stupid tubliss rimlock.

But to be honest, the actual slow and "technical" riding doesnt need tubliss nowhere near as much as high speed riding.