"Heavy" Guy advice needed.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Coach1974, Apr 23, 2019.

1. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lessee, you're 230# and your needs are 90% freeway/10% dirt and cheap/small bore? Prolly want ultra reliable too huh?
    Is simple: you need two bikes.
    Mofo Flake and Coach1974 like this.
  2. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Avg speed on 1 back in 85-86 was 80-85. Nice to see they slowed down a little.
    Coach1974 likes this.
  3. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    In all honesty I think a sport bike with 705 tires will do what you need. IE cheap 650 ninja.
    Coach1974 and Navin like this.
  4. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Although a parallel twin would likely be your best option...they tend to be fairly pricey for someone getting back into riding...and mixing in some gravel/dirt riding.

You can ride any bike on dirt, but a road bike really isn't much fun (for me) in the dirt and they dont stand up to a rough road quite as well.

My favorite and often suggested bike for this type of riding is the trusty Suzuki DR650. In stock form, it'll do 70 ok...but it's a bit light for the Interstate and you get blown around a little by semi trucks, and a little heavy for serious offroad use, but I've done over 40k miles on a DR in all types of terrain. It is my absolute favorite 'do anything' bike. For our weight and stature (5'10 230), it helps to upgrade the suspension...but not a requirement if you are not riding major offroad with rocks/logs/creeks.
    Coach1974 likes this.
  5. Coach1974

Coach1974 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  6. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    If it's only 15 minutes if freeway and not all day, them I'm more inclined tti agree with this guy:
    I love my DR. It'll cruise at 70 for hours if the rider will put up with it. 15 minutes would be no big deal. The stock suspension leaves a bit to be desired, but it's fine fir getting back into things. Upgrades are available if you're interested in keeping the DR long term. I'm 5' 10" and 250 before riding gear. I managed with stock suspension for over a year before upgrading it.

It'll also be easy more fun once the pavement ends than a adventure twin. I had a Vstrom 1000 at one point. Definitely better fir pounding out pavement miles, but not so fun once it got harder than graded gravel.

How long are your legs? I've only got a 30" inseam and it definitely impacts my bike choices.
    Uncle Bugga likes this.
  7. Coach1974

Coach1974 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same inseam here.
  8. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    Test ride as much as you can... Most advice you get is relative to the advice giver. (wind blast, noise, vibration, power, etc.)

Some find driving down the freeway in an old 4x4 with the top down close to heaven. Some find it absolutely intolerable. Stat sheets only go so far.
  9. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    Vstrom or Versys. Ninja wheels fit the Versys and they are as plentiful as dog waste. you can rig a second set of wheels with dirt tires pretty cheap. thats what I did. I also have a KLX for when I want to do more dirt

KLR is a good choice if you don't NEED to do long stretches of superslab. better if you can stay under 75 though
  10. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for a V-Strom 650.

Buy it used for a good price. Ride it. If you decide it doesn't meet your needs, sell it for 90+ % of what you bought it for.

No single cylinder bike is going to run COMFORTABLY at the speeds you mention...regardless of what anyone tells you.
  11. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of these three the second one is the one I'd call about first.
  12. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    V-Strom 650. KLR if you think you're going to get a bit more adventurous.
    Coach1974 likes this.
  13. Coach1974

Coach1974 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. Coach1974

Coach1974 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Seems expensive for the mileage to me, but I'm sure everything in California carries a price premium compared to Texas.
  16. Coach1974

Coach1974 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah everything here is expensive. Those miles didn't look good to me. I know these run forever but I'd rather be the one putting on the miles.
  17. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't be in too much of a hurry. Prime seller's market right now.

I overlooked a few that were ok, and ended up with exactly what I wanted after a little patience.

A fly-and-ride can be a blast as well... Great way to get too know a bike. But, test ride locally first if possible. Many Japanese bikes, in your price range, haven't changed much over the years. Test riding a new one will give you a pretty good idea what you are getting into with a used one.
    Coach1974 likes this.
  18. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    “I need to go 80 MPH on the highway, what bike should I get?”

Don’t get a KLR.

“Whadda yah think of this KLR? “
    nk14zp, Ginger Beard and Plebeian like this.
  19. Coach1974

Coach1974 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I was not paying attention. Got it now.
  20. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

:lol3

I had one years ago. They are cheap. They are not especially good at anything and despite being tall not great for tall people. Running at 80 on the highway is not their specialty. Yeah, it’ll do, but there are better choices.
    JETalmage likes this.