Heavy Metal around Mongolia and Central Asia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by timolgra1, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Jimmym1296

Jimmym1296 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great read on cold winter night. Can't wait for the 2' of snow to melt. thanks.
  2. explr

explr Just Stooopid

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Sir! Great read! I miss that side of the world.
  3. bigdave-gs

bigdave-gs Been riding longer than a lot have been alive !

Oddometer:
    After reading your accounts of this fantastic adventure, the biggest question for me to take such a trip has always come down to the language barriers. You went across so many different countries how did you deal with the languages and currencies.
  4. timolgra1

timolgra1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, language is a problem although a basic knowledge of Russian would be very helpful...I say 'would be' because non of us had it!

A few remembered words or short phrases and sign language got us by but we had a lot of fun trying to comunicate often by passing drawings with each other with conversations lasting several hours (and a few bottles of vodka).

I carried Roubles, Euros and of course the Dollar which could be changed at borders...or stolen by the police:cry
    Personally, I don't like to rely on plastic, which would have been of no use for much of this trip so had several stashes hidden away.
  5. j911brick

j911brick Squidinator

Oddometer:
    I was about to ask the same question....

Great report Tim! I can't believe more of your pictures were not nominated for front page.

What kind of speeds were you able to travel at off-road?
  6. timolgra1

Oddometer:
    A bit Like asking how long's a piece of string mate.......across the Mongolian Steppe, as fast as you dared whilst being mindful of where you are should anything go tit's up:eek1 so perhaps 70 - 80mph at times but realisticaly more like 40-60mph where possible. Even this will inevetably lead to a puncture or dented wheel rim sooner or later.

Riding on corrugated surfaces generally means the faster the better but each bike and rider had it's own 'sweet spot'.

One down fall of using a heavy bike like the GS is they don't take big hits very well...as Baz discovered and of course you're never quite sure when that's going to be when travelling at speed.

On reflection we were riding too fast at times in Mongolia when we should have been preserving the heavy bikes....but hey, it was flipping great fun!:clap

7. j911brick

j911brick Squidinator

Oddometer:
    Thanks Tim that pretty well answers my question. I find that on average my speed off road is about 35mph on my fully loaded GSA.
  8. Jedediah

Jedediah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My second time through your thread. And thus to the conclusion.

Simply stunning. Thank you so much for taking us along.

This must have been an adventure of a lifetime :-) (The truck driver thing not so much).

Really, share, have you or your mates done something so grand before?

I am in awh!

Jed.[​IMG]
  9. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A rear oil seal is change on Pete's 1200
    [​IMG]
    Seems like Baz is trying to change Petes rear oil seal here...the worst part is Pete seems to be enjoying it:huh :rofl.
    Fantastic report mate,loving every bit of it:thumb.

Cheers
    A2
  10. timolgra1

Oddometer:
    Well spotted, here's Baz pointing out Pete's rear oil seal:eek1
    :D
    [​IMG]
  11. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks suspiciously like a Russian truckers hand to me:shog :rofl
  12. quicktoys2

quicktoys2 ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer:
    Bloody AWESOME !!!!!!!!! I just found this ride report and have spend about 6 hours reading and viewing.

Boor bastard Baz ........ has he got some shitty luck or what. Wasn't it mentioned that he was a copper??? So, maybe its his Karma for all the times he fecked with a biker ..... lol
    What is the deal with "crashing" outside your home country? Or do you just lie and say it happened in the UK? Did his insurance cover the damages?

Thanks for sharing

Soto
  13. timolgra1

Oddometer:
    It's over 6 months since we got back from this trip and last weekend we all met up, drank far too much and wished we were back on the road again!

Yes, any copper deserves bad Karma at some point on a trip:D but Baz is probably one of those with a more balanced concience......this of course means he couldn't lie about where his accident happened so insurance wasn't an option.
    His bike is still a mangled wreck hidden in the depths of the garage, meanwhile he's reluctantly continuing with wedding plans for September, been made to buy a new car by 'her' leaving no cash for the bike...Oh dear poor Baz:lol3

Pete had a bad cycle accident and is recovering after having a face like a pizza, but the insurance pay out should fund another trip.

Rick continues to accumulate bling with a new KTM990 and one of the new Husabergs.

Me? Apart from hitching up with a six foot blonde (no, not a trucker) off for a couple of weeks guiding an offroad trip for some Norwegians in Morocco, using my KTM 640ADV, leave in two days:clap
  14. Marco Moto

Marco Moto Voyager Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhhh the ENVY!!!

p.s.: Are you hiring?
  15. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:

:lurk :deal :rofl
  16. Tall Mike

Tall Mike TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer:
    Sounds like my kind of adventure! I have a 640ADV... Interested in seeing where this goes... A man and his bike... some friends... and an amazon to boot! I'm in!! :lurk

Now, remember, the last time you set out on a "little adventure" with the boys, it took you all the way to Mongolia and heavy in the 'stans... If you're going all the way to South Africa you'd probably better start a new thread!:evil

Traavel safe Tim, and hope to read about it soon!:clap:clap
  17. quicktoys2

quicktoys2 ADVrider junkie :)

Oddometer:
    How long do we have to wait till you give us the ride report on 6ft blond Norwegian girls in Morocco????? :evil:evil:evil

Are you going to add to this report or start a new thread?

:ear
  18. aukanmeister

aukanmeister OTC#824

Oddometer:
    Are the norwegians on here? :ear

Have a great trip to marocco!:clap

Take it easy on the blonde.. They have a tendency to be addictive:wink:
  19. Mertkilickap

Mertkilickap Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello Sir ,

Could you please tell me what is your gas tank cover brand.Really I love it .
    I live in Turkey and here I could not find it.May be I will but from web.

Thank You
  20. mikejohn

mikejohn Long timer

Oddometer:
    Think of scars as tatoos with better stories, Man i wish i could do a trip like that, well not the crashing part:D