Heavy Metal around Mongolia and Central Asia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by timolgra1, Aug 17, 2009.

1. timolgra1

timolgra1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was such a great place we three decided to stay another day.
    Unusual for Mongolia there was a lot of dead wood to keep the fire going also dried dung to top it up.

Rick got his fishing rod out and was unsuccessful but did see to lads up to their waists in the freezing water on the ledge of a very deep river spearing fish.
    I made a hand line to try and catch something but my hands were so cold I couldn't put the bait on the hook. So back to the fire where our clothes were drying and a very chilled day in both senses.
    [​IMG]

We sat round the fire while Dennis told his stories.
    [​IMG]

In the afternoon this big GAZ-54 truck get stuck by the rocks in the river where Pete took his dunking the previous day.
    [​IMG]

The driver found some thin wire to attatch to his trailer in an attempt to drag it out.
    It kept snapping and he'd try again.

Dennis and I stood watching, never feeling more helpless.

The Mongolian's perseverance, determination and ingenuity is to be admired as they go about their daily lives battling the elements without tools or technology.

He did get it out of the river by himself in the end. Of course.
    [​IMG]

We saw a Russian built 4WD mini bus get stuck in the same river, it sounded like it was only firing on 3 cylinders, then the clutch began to slip as it got wet, water was coming in, passengers looked anxiously out the windows. The driver put it into gear and wound it out with the starter motor and spluttered on.

The guys on horseback, the Kamaz and minibus were the only traffic to pass that day and I had trouble in the same river the following morning.
    Jean-Luc likes this.
  2. timolgra1

Oddometer:
    We left that special place to head off down the valley and meet the others still a few hours and river crossings away.
    [​IMG]

The town is just over the next ridge after riding across this enormous green plain which stretched for miles behind.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everyone on a horse is eager to show us their skills.
    [​IMG]

Having met up with the others, who hated the town they'd stayed in:D , we pressed on west.

I could see from my GPS the route took a big arc around to the right of these hills and to the mountains in the background, which are further away than they look so rode there alone to try and beat them.
    [​IMG]

Waiting near some huts for the others I had my only unpleasant encounter in Mongolia. Two heavily built guys, out of their heads on vodka trying to grab things off my bike and me as I tried to ride away.

Vodka has a lot to answer for throughout Russia, Mongolia and many parts of central Asia yet we in the west are worried about people smoking a bit of dope.
  3. Motor 1

Motor 1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap WOW! Thanks for taking the time to entertain us with great pic's & words. Inspire me u have! :D
  4. ricohman

ricohman Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread is incredible. Great pics great stories. Beautiful!
  5. popescu_mihailraul

popescu_mihailraul Adventurer

Oddometer:

Great ride report ! Congratulations !
    The replica above reminds me of my favourite bike documentary - Mondo Enduro :ricky! They also have quite the same opinion on the TransSiberian.
  6. East Coast Rider

East Coast Rider Just Me...

Oddometer:
  7. locrwln

locrwln Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Xeleventybillion. :rayof :rayof

Jack
  8. mega-hertz

mega-hertz creature of the wheel

Oddometer:
    +1:clap :ear
  9. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    This thread continues to be one of the best I've seen here. You are very fortunate guys. Although I sense you are partial to the 1150, is there any advantage to the 1200 on a trip like this or is the old school 1150 performing best?
  10. timolgra1

Oddometer:
    I've had three 1150s over the past 10 years and know they'll do the job, so yes I am partial to them.
    Personally I wouldn't even consider a 1200, for several reasons concerning reliabilty, having said that, the 1200s on this trip didn't have any real problems which frankly, suprised me.

But to answer your question, there was no advantage (I'm pleased to report):wink:
  11. Bowes

Bowes Oman Dirty Biker

Oddometer:
    Timorgla, this gets better and better as it goes along. A fantastic experience for a reader, truly insparational. Thank you! The pics are amazing. If you are using point and shoot camreas, or whatever then it's the capture of the moment that makes the difference, you being there to capture and live it, experience it, must be awesome. I guess you are living your dream.....good on you man. :bow :bow
  12. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely fantastic stuff! Looks like excellent DS riding :freaky Those bikes seem bloody heavy & difficult to manage - Respect! :clap

A couple of questions:

If you did it again, and if availible would you have gone for smaller bikes? If so, what would you have ridden? Just curious.

What is the general altitude in Mongolia, and what was the altitude of that pass?

It looks very remote, how did you manage the fuel and water situation?

Thanks again for sharing this with us! Brilliant!
  13. kootenay kid

kootenay kid Lets Ride

Oddometer:
    Interesting, real world comparison testing isnt it. If you dont mind 1 more question, whats the rough mileage on the 1150's?

Thanks
  14. IdeaWife

IdeaWife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awsome report!!! :clap Mongolia is one of my dream trips, I'm working up to it :ricky :D . Not sure I would want to do it without some support though. Did you run into any bikes on a tour?

A couple more questions, how did you get away from work for so long? and did you leave wife and kids behind? Were they supportive?

Thanks!!!
  15. birddogin

birddogin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this awesome documentary, my world view just expanded.:thumb
  16. timolgra1

Oddometer:
    Mileages on 1150s, mine had only covered 14,700 when I left, Baz's had done aroune 37,000 before leaving.

Wife and kids? Not that lucky, just pissed off girlfriend:D .......:eek1
  17. Jedediah

Jedediah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Tim,

The wow factor is high on this one. You are doing a great job on this RR. Your pictures and natative have me spellbound and glued to the screen. The scenery is just stunning and right out of dreams. And too the people.

What a pleasure to read and watch as you lay down what will surely become an ADVrider classic :thumb

Thank you for taking the time to share this adventure. I look forward to reading more.

Jed.
  18. IdeaWife

IdeaWife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So...you guide trips in Morocco, will you be guiding any trips in Mongolia? :ear
  19. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too much.
    So many questions to ask, will settle for one. How did you guys hook up with each other to undertake such an affair? The logistics of finding like-minded riders confounds me. Maybe I just need new friends.
    Jim
  20. timolgra1

Oddometer:
    I regularly ride offroad with Pete and Rick, see ride reports below for a couple of trips I did with Rick in both Portugal and Morocco.
    I proposed the idea of this trip on UKGSer.com to find the others which created a lot of interest, it was then a question of selecting the right group, not any easy or plesant task.

I'll get on with this RR soon:1drink

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146723&highlight=portugal+rick

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89403&highlight=moroccan+spice