Heed crash bars - a quick review

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by K1W1, Apr 19, 2016.

1. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buying and delivery experience:
    Great. Email to the company replied to in very good English within 24 hours and succinctly answered my questions.
    Ordered the goods directly via the Heed website as per the instructions I received (because of international freight to Australia).
    Goods shipped within 24 hours, left Poland within 48 hours arrived in Sydney within 3 days and took another 4 days to get to Melbourne (Australia Post here not Heeds problem) so 7 days from order to delivery in Melbourne.
    Packaging was fantastic. The outer box was covered in shrink wrap plastic and the bars were inside a sealed plastic bag inside the box.
    [​IMG]

Inside the bag every inch of the bars is covered in foam wrap and the package containing the instructions and the bolts is not just a bag of bits all the bolts are lined up so you can see what you get without opening anything
    [​IMG]

100% for the buying and delivery experience.

Installation:
    The instructions are pictographs (two pages one is Polish I assume and one is English). If you have ever assembled Ikea products you will be right at home. Not many but enough words.
    The fit was perfect everything lined up just fine. I have heard stories of one side not fitting properly but maybe Heed have changed their design slightly.
    I fitted the front central mount without the beak assembly on the bike and I suspect it made that part of the install easier. There was no problem refitting the beak.
    I had to remove the little bracket that holds the coolant hoses on the front left of the engine to get the front mount of the bar in place.No issues there. You could probably mount the bar without removing the bracket fairly easily if you had two people.
    I have two issues with the installation.
    There are no torque specs given to retighten the rear upper bolts that also secure the engine to the frame. I had to look them up on the Internet.
    The right side rear upper bolt in particular looks a little crude and may actually get in the way of people with long legs. I would like to see a flatter head bolt and will probably try to source something.
    I fitted the bars with all the protective wrap still in place and only removed what I needed to secure the bars to the bike. It was easy to remove the wrap afterwards and it eliminated the possibility of things getting scratched during installation. There is plenty of time of that to happen on a dirt road somewhere.

From the front
    [​IMG]

Right side
    [​IMG]

Left side
    [​IMG]

Central front bracket
    [​IMG]

From above
    [​IMG]

The offending bolt (IMO). I'm sitting further back than I normally would here and I'm only 5' 9" tall.
    [​IMG]

Installation and quality of build I would rate at 95% (due to the bolt and the lack of torque specs)

Observations:
    The front indicators are not completely protected and may suffer if the bike has a sleep.
    [​IMG]

I suspect that the bars may need to be removed to remove the side panels that the indicators are connected to. It might be possible to remove them straight up the top but I have not tried.
    Plenty of places for mounts for lights or cameras.
    Allow and hour to do the job by yourself and you will have plenty of free time after you finsh before the hour is up.

Overall:
    I have no intention of crash testing these but I feel that they will be a good as anything else on the market. The shape means that they shouldn't catch on anything and not mounting to the upper cylinder mounts should remove any possibility of damaged engine cases ala SW Motech. The Altrider bars I had on my previous Tiger did a fantastic job but these bars are 5 indicators less expensive than the Altriders so I will take my chances.
    The total landed cost was about AUD$170 less than Triumph want for the engine bars alone so IMO they represent good value for money.
    The bars do not faithfully follow the lines of the new Tiger plastics from the side but that does not worry me.
    MissNikkor likes this.
  2. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    How did you find the spacing from the top of the bars to the side of the gas tank?
    Mine are about 5 mm closer on the right, left on the picture below.

Rick

[​IMG]
  3. Waterdog08

Waterdog08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have found that I had to relearn where to place my foot to shift. I hit the bars with my toe when in a seated and comfortable position. Not a problem when standing. Guess I like to spend out to much.
  4. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine look square at least square enough that I haven't noticed a difference. I left the U bolts on the steering head loose until everything else was tight then did them up last. If the U bolts are done up tight before the bars are added I could see how the bracket from the steering head may possibly have a slight angle to it.

My feet are not that big. :-)
    Phillyb likes this.
  5. Waterdog08

Waterdog08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine neither just bad riding habits. But at 6'3" and a 13 foot it can be alittle cramped.
  6. Smopho

Smopho Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It reminds me of a Praying Mantis, or some other bug with a bony ectoskeleton.
  7. kyhoytarcher

kyhoytarcher Not all who wander are lost

Oddometer:
    So I received my heed crash bars yesterday, they were wrapped and protected like they were shipping eggs!!
    image.jpeg
    After I unwrapped them I checked them over and the welds are great and uniformed and no defects is paint.
    image.jpeg
    The bars mounted up great but definitely keep them loose until all bolts are in and then tighten.
    image.jpeg
    I love the look and functionality of these bars but hope I never have to use them!!

image.jpeg
  8. BladeRunner22

BladeRunner22 n00b

Oddometer:
    These bar look great and with the price point and build quality have made it to the top of my short list. My question is has anyone tried performing an maintenance task with these bar installed such as replacing the air cleaner which requires you to remove the beak, radiator guard, side panels and tank?

Also has anyone attempted to relocate the front turn signals to protect them from a dirt nap or add a slider to the bars similar to the Givi to provide protection to the bars and a little more clearance for the front turn signals?

- Peter
    Banesangel likes this.
  9. Pastaman

Pastaman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have just received mine for my 2004 Tiger. Will report on them once installed.
  10. Diamond K

Diamond K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ordered a set for a Tiger 800XC last Sunday (May 8, 2016) and they arrived Monday (May 15, 2016). Bolted them on the Tiger this afternoon and all went well. The biggest issue was getting the socket off the U bolt nuts after they were tightened. The horn bracket is real close. Anyhow it is all good. I was shocked to get them this quick. I can't get a part in the US any quicker.
    Banesangel likes this.
  11. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Pastaman...I installed a set last year on my 955i and when I went to remove the tank it was so tight I put a couple of washers in to spread them just a shade wider. Reinstalled the tank this spring and it was much better.
    Banesangel and Pastaman like this.
  12. Pastaman

Oddometer:
    Oh good to know, thanks for the advice!
    Banesangel likes this.
  13. Pastaman

Oddometer:
  14. bdavis1

bdavis1 n00b

Oddometer:
    Installed the Heed upper and lowers 3 weeks ago. Directions are a little lame but I got them on. The bars are of very good quality. The screws provided are of mediocre quality.

I'm 6 feet tall and have no issue with my knees hitting the bars. Both my friend (6'1") and my son's (6'2") knee hit the right side bar. If you are over 6 feet sit on a TEX with the Heed bars first or don't chance it and go with the OEM lowers.

I am pleased with the purchase as I am just the right height for the bike and these bars.
  15. Diamond K

Diamond K Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bdavis1 do you have a picture of your Explorer with the HEED upper and lowers installed? I am considering them for mine.
  16. Sabzu

Sabzu Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone put the heed upper/lower set on a Tex with the SW Motech sump guard? It looks like they are using some of the same mounting points.
  17. Raconnol

Raconnol Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree. I am at risk of having one of the lower hex screws being stripped out. I might just need to use a set if vise grips to remove it when I need if off.
    My fault, as I am used to using higher grade bolts and cranked on it more then I should and it really needs.
    Otherwise I am very happy with the build quality of the bars.

Rick