Heidenau K60 Tire Review

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by TSD, Mar 8, 2012.

1. SEWERMAN

SEWERMAN Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've ridden TKC's on my 650 Dakar for a very long time but I have to say I'm tired of putting a new rear tire on every season. I had a chance to ride on some K60's while in Death Valley last winter and my only complaint was the tire having problems holding pressure when I dropped the psi below 25 on the rear. We road a lot of sand, hard pack dirt, rock and steep climbing on soft sand/dirt and they did great. After talking to some other riders I decided to keep my TKC in the front of my 650 and K60 on the rear. I made it up to Deadhorse this year with that set up and the road was absolute sh$t for most of the way up due to multiple days of rain and the DOT busy mixing in their favorite cocktail. The Heidenau did great and I didn't notice and weirdness when dropping into a corner on the pavement with the 2 different tread designs. So I'm going for the aggressive traction with the TKC on the front and the longer lifespan 50/50 on the back, it seems to work. I can tell you that it is a royal PITA to change a flat b/c I had one 13 miles before Fairbanks. Without another kickstand to use as a bead breaker I would never have been able to change my tube by myself. It took 3 inflation attempts with a electric pump and lot's of Vaseline to get the bead to pop back into the rim. Getting my buddy to give up his Vaseline is another story...
    DCrider likes this.
  2. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a K60 rear on the way, size 150/70-17. And a quart of Astro-Glide.
  3. AKtracks

AKtracks Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer:
    Mid-season this year Heidenau changed the design of the K60 to correspond with higher pressures of other tires of this size to help with those that were previously over inflating the tires and causing premature wear. Newer tires have a max PSI of 44 (whereas older versions were maxed @ 36PSI). Just a heads-up for everyone.
  4. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't claim to have a lot of experience with the K60... yet. But what I have had has been very good. It shows good manners on the pavement, with no noticeable transition when leaned over, just nice and smooth. Haven't had a chance to give it a real test on wet asphalt, but it did all right through the mud of the T-O-W construction. On the Dempster it handled everything with no complaints, but I have decided that next time I'll put a 19" TKC on the front of the KLR rather than the 21". Hopefully, it will handle better all the way around then.

Wear is better than the TKC, but I value wet pavement traction more than long wear, so that is still be be discovered. If I have to slow down a bit in the rain, I guess I can... if I really have to. :cry
  5. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alcan, what wheel are you going to use to covert your KLR to 19" frony?
  6. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    With the greatest possible respect to your extreme high road mileage, and experience.. Why do you suppose a 19 inch wheel/tire combination would be superior to a 21 inch front?

The question pertains both to the KLR specifically, but also generically to others with the 17 rear-21 front ie, 800XC, F800GS, DR650.
  7. eddie98

eddie98 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran a K60 rear for my trip to Prudhoe Bay from Georgia. The tire did great on thr haul road. Once I left anchorage it started to go. It had to be replaced in Vancouver. It didn't make it to 10k miles. Ran it on my loaded Vstrom.
  8. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
    ran K60 for the last year .. squirmy on fast corners on road ... worthless in deep sand (Little Sahara, OK).. not impressed with off road performance.

not a good tire if you are pushing it on the street or off road. good tire that wears well if you are not pushing it.

the crowd I'm riding with are always pushing it. but they are riding road bikes or light dirt bikes while I'm riding R80G/S for both. keeping up with road bikes at high speeds with brutal side winds running K60 is flat scary ... pulled off on that ride.

moving to two sets of wheels on R80G/S .. road tires on 19/18 wheelset. off road knobs on 21/18 wheelset.
  9. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Montreal (traveling Americas June '17 to May '18)
    12k's is just about the length of my next trip. What kind of bike was this on? Do they wear out quickly on the superslab at high speeds?
  10. AKTREADs

AKTREADs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    jfman,
    You are aware,the new Heidenau K60 to the RH side in above picture is the old block version of the 140/80-17" rear tire.

The latest production Heidenau K60 Scout has the full center rib,kinda like the worn tire pictured, in 140/80-17",150/70-17" & 150/70-18" rear tire sizes.
  11. AK650

AK650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dan,

My questions pertain to all around dual sporting here in AK. Haul Road, Denali, type stuff, with an occasional trail ride.

Will be due for new shoes this summer for my F8GS, and looking at both the K60, and the Karoo 3, to replace the Anakee's that came on the bike(the Anakee's are OK, but would like a more aggressive/off radish tire). Do you view the continuos center rib on the latest K60's as a good or bad thing? Seems like it would be great while slabbing it to get to gravel, but not so great on slick stuff/mud?? The Karoo's look like a good compromise.

Thanks,

Jeff
  12. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for chiming in AKTREADS

These tires of the newer version also last as long as the old?
  13. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Sheesh! Even with sporadic internet access I should have spotted these long ago.

A few years back I got hold of an extra front hub and laced on a 19" rim. At the same time I sealed the spoke holes so I could run a tubeless tire on it. Experience has shown that it will take a l-o-n-g time to wear out a 19" TKC80 on the front of the KLR, unlike the 21" that will show characteristic wear patterns within about 4000 miles if you don't keep the pressure up.

Just before heading up the Dempster I took a run up to Fairbanks and had Dan mount a Heidenau on the rear, and I installed a new TKC80 on the 21" front rim. In order to prevent the wear mentioned above, I kept the pressure up in the front tire so I could count on having good tread (and traction) on the way home. While the narrower tire has advantages in some situations, none of the conditions on that trip (and the construction between the border and the Taylor Hwy on T-O-T-W presented some of the worst I've ever ridden through) made me feel that a wider tire would not have done as well. With the 19" tire I could have dropped the tire to 20 psi or less for the gravel without experiencing the odd tread wear that we've all seen on the 21" TKC80.

Over the years I have become a devout fan of the TKC, It does extremely well in gravel, dirt, and mud and sticks like glue on wet pavement. But it wears out pretty fast. With the 19" tire on the front I get good wear as well as the traction I've come to count on, and I also get to have tubeless tires on both ends, as the rear rim is also sealed now.
  14. AKTREADs

AKTREADs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AK650-
    Comparing the Heidenau K60 50/50 tire to the Metzeler Karoo 10/90 tire is equivalent to comparing apples to oranges.
    Any of the 10/90 tires will warrant you approximately 3-4000mi & then you have may pops installed.
    Install a 140/80-17" instead of the 150/70-17" on the rear of your F800GS & steer it w/ your hips & right wrist!

jfman,
    I don't believe the mileage is equivalent to first generation K60's.
    Reason being the manufacturer raised the tire pressure from 36psi to 44psi on various rear tires.
    Heidenau Tubeless Tire installations-clean rims & lube tire bead & rim or bead seat leaks will ensue.

Alcan Rider-
    Most KLR front tire cupping that I have witnessed usually comes from fork oil that is original from the factory w/ 3-4X the recommended mileage resulting in a dribbling tire traveling down the road.
  15. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
  16. AK650

AK650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback AKTREADS!!

Jeff
  17. Alcan Rider

Oddometer:
    Familiar with what you describe, but usually on other bikes. The wear I referred to is peculiar to the 21" TKC80. Due to the size and placement of the lugs on that narrow tire, as well as its relatively soft carcass, the center lug is easily depressed and with low air pressure will hardly wear. At the same time, the pair of lugs adjacent in either direction wear heavily toward the center of the tire. Makes it look like center lug is good for another 5000 miles while the adjacent lugs are worn to nubs. :lol3 Even on my KLR with Race Tech upgrade and good oil they do the same. But 21" Tourances or 19" TKC's will outwear at least two rear tires.
  18. Kevfoley

Kevfoley LocoRojo

Oddometer:
    guys comparing the Hedenau K-60 to the Metzeler Karoo 3,

is there a clear winner here given a 60/40 on/offroad split current riding.
  19. jfman

jfman Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear the karoo doesnt las as long.
  20. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    A guy on the Tiger 800 page just got 3900 out of a rear Karoo III after getting 10k out of a Scorpion Trail. I think its either Heidenau or Mitas for 50 or 60/ 50 or 40 tire and mileage. Nothing else comes close. I lean more toward the Mitas, it worked great for me and was a couple dollars cheaper before the recent price hike.