Heidenau K60 Tire Review

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by TSD, Mar 8, 2012.

1. AKoffroader

AKoffroader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any U.S. suppliers for Mitas tires yet? Only place I see you can get them is out of Canada.

Greg
  2. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Durell Racing out of Colorado and a guy on the east coast is supposed to pick them up this year. Still unlnowns.
  3. AKoffroader

AKoffroader Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ran a Mitas E07 on the rear and an E10 on the front of the Yamaha Super Tenere (BMW 1200GS "compatible" but without the support truck) I rented in Africa. Great tire combo! At the end of our trip the tires had about 14,000 kms on them and still had another 4K or 5K left in them.

[​IMG]

The Mitas E10 is a dead knock off for a TKC80 but seems to wear a lot longer. The Mitas E07 is like the Heidenau K60 but wears more round then square as the miles pile up. High mileage K60's wear square with very little contact patch when leaned over in turns.

http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-adventure-and-safari-tires/

Landed prices for the Mitas tires are actually very good (i.e. cheaper) by comparison. Just ordered a set.

Take care,

Greg
  4. wonderings

wonderings Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will be needing some new tires for the season and have been reading about. I do my riding mainly on pavement, but I do go out now and then down some gravel and loose gravel roads when exploring (Ontario, Canada).

I currently have the standard tourances on my '10 GSA. I had TCK80's when I got the bike a few years back, but it was way over kill for the kind of riding I do.

I was looking something between the TCK's and the Tourances, something with a little bit better grip in loose stuff. Reviews seem good for the K60's but I thought I read somewhere that they were horrible in the rain. Now for the life of me I cannot find where I read that. So, from those running with this tire, how is it in the rain?
  5. Full Power

Full Power Long timer

Oddometer:
    Data Point :
    The MEFO Explorer in 21 inch front will exhibit pronounced cupping, in the manner described above, even after as little as 8000 miles on the KLR650.
    I was advised that MUCH higher air pressure would reduce the effect, but can not confirm. I like to run 24 PSI on the front of KLR, seems to keep a better 'planted' feel on loose gravel.
  6. Meriwether

Meriwether Following big footprints.

Oddometer:
    I need a new rear tyre, I'm thinking something like a 170/60R17 70/30 to 90/10 road/offroad. Where do you Alaskan guys buy your tyres, locally or shipped in from the lower 48? I can't find an internet shop that will freight tyres to Alaska.
    Cheers,
    Mark.
  7. Drunk_Uncle

Drunk_Uncle Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Motorcycle Shop. The only tire they can't get is Mitas. They may even have that size in stock.
  8. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    Try Barb. I've seen guys get lucky with Amazon(Prime). Also the guys in FBX.
  9. Alaskajeff

Alaskajeff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chaparral Motorsports, and Cycle Gear do too
  10. KHud

KHud Survivor Supporter

Oddometer:
    :huh
    That little phrase could get you in a heap of trouble there Guy.

The place in Fairbanks he referred to is Adventure Cycle Works. http://www.advcycleworks.com/ A two man operation, one of whom works his arse off.
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:cry:rofl:rofl:rofl:cry:rofl
  11. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie

Oddometer:
    Thanks Kevin, the name escaped my mind which is easy to do! I bought my K60 from them, great guys. Shipping cost me a growler of Moosestooth.
  12. daveburton

daveburton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got 14,000 miles out of my first set running 34/39psi and only about 7 from the second rear running 39/43psi. I'm just getting a 3rd rear fitted in Osorno, southern Chile. I'm going to run 34/39 again. Anyone got any views, that's really the only difference. The riding has been about the same. I think the contact pressure and therefore area is causing the center to wear more.

Have to see how we get on with the next rear. I thought I had it made with the 14K miles as I was only getting about 4K miles out of EXPs on my S10 in the US.

The company that are changing my tyre also run tours with BMWs across SA and extensively in Patagonia and use only Heidenau, they have 80 bikes so that probably tells you something.

Any conclusive experience with wear rates for Heidenau and Mitas etc.

cheers, dave
  13. Ride Far

Ride Far Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AKoffroader and anyone else with experience with both Mitas E07 Dakar and Heidenau K60 rears size 140 80 17…

I’m gearing up my DR650 for East Africa... South Africa > Egypt starting Oct 2015. Should be roughly 13,000 km / 8,000 mis. Will be running a TKC 80 on the front. Question is which tire for the rear….

The K60 is appealing for its long life. But the 140 80 17 has the solid center stripe and I’m a bit apprehensive on what that will mean for offroad performance. Will be running a good number of ordinary dirt / rocky tracks and sand, and likely mud now and then.

Mitas E07 looks more capable offroad. But if it’s shot after 10,000 km / 6,000 mis it’s not going to do me much good in Sudan. It’s possible to source a new 17-rear in Kenya but that’s time, cost and agggravation I’d rather avoid.

Which would you choose, Mitas or Heidenau?

Previously I ran TKC 80 rears through West Africa and South America, but given their short lifespan I’m going to try something different this time.
  14. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    Had a tough time getting my front to seal,I marked the spots it was leaking and dabbed some Black RTV in those areas and she's sealed and no more problems,now time for some miles,it's not a perfect tire but I wanted dirt and longevity and I'm thinking these may be the answer,k60 for the rear soon.
  15. AKTREADs

AKTREADs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WHAT !
    Black Silicone RTV ?

Next time clean the rim's bead seats with a wire brush(manually).
    Wipe off rim w/ shop rag.
    Lube rim flanges & bead seats.
    Lube tire beads & inside flanges.
    Install tire
    Air up & HEED max tire pressure on tire sidewall.
    Do Not exceed max pressure before,during or after installation..
  16. BikerBill

BikerBill Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    I bought my R1200GSA with K60s installed. Front had 11,000 miles on it and rear had 3k. I got out on gravel roads and once I dropped tire pressures to 25
    Psi they did great. I'd bought the bike in Dallas and rode it home. Noisy as a tractor trailer but that's no surprise. 25 psi is about for gravel. Front has about 12,500 and needs replacing.

Bill
  17. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Stampede Swimmer

Oddometer:
    The Karoo 3 is DEFINITELY not an endurance tire. I got just a little over 3,000 miles out of the rear on my F800GS.
  18. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    I worked and worked with this tire,took it on and off a couple of times cleaning checking things and finally did the RTV and walla,I've done a lot of tires and never had this much trouble getting a tire to seal,but the end story now is I really like the tire,it does good in all conditions and I've hit some rocks and other things hard out in the sticks and the stiff side wall does its job,oh and even though it's stiff mounting was easy just sealing was a job.
  19. scarysharkface

scarysharkface Truffle

Oddometer:
    A little over 9k miles on this one. Alaska trip on a 2009 R1200GS, heavily laden. Completely smitten by these tires.

[​IMG]

John
    phreakingeek likes this.
  20. snobear

snobear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran the Mitas EO7's on my Alaska Yukon trip and they now have 13,000 kms on them. Had K60's before these.
    I like the rear EO7 over the Heidi as it does not wear as flat and seems to have better traction in the slick stuff. I would say mileage on the rears would be very similar between the Mitas and Heidi.
    The front Mitas EO7 is wearing just as fast as the rear and I do not like the performance near as good as the Heidi front. It just wonders around a lot more on the loose gravel. My Heidi front had 20,000 kms on it when I removed it and I would have easily got another 5000 out of it except I wanted fresh tires for my trip. I would guess the Mitas front will be done by 16, 17,000 kms.
    Next set I am going to run a Heidi front and a Mitas EO7 rear.
    This was all on a 650 V Strom.
    Ride Far likes this.