Heidenau K60 Tire Review

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by TSD, Mar 8, 2012.

1. BikerBill

BikerBill Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer:
    I just returned to Kentucky from Alaska. Put on a new set of K60's before I left. Actually, the set had 800+ miles on them before I started for Alaska. I ran 33F/42R and the front still has plenty of tread depth. The rear is squared off pretty bad but still has tread left. Not much interstate going north, but several days of 80+ MPH on the slab coming home. Tires worked well on gravel once I got a feel for it. The front was a bit slippy in the wet road construction, but as Ron pointed out they do better running a bit faster(not as fast as Ron). The front held the pavement well, but the rear tried coming around if I got too aggressive in the corners. Total mileage on this trip is over 11,000 miles. The tires have about 12,000 or so. I'll have to check recorded mileage to be exact. I'll put a new rear on next week.
  2. 8lives

8lives Dharma Bum

Oddometer:
    After about 8000 miles on the front I'm very happy with the K60,it still loses some air I top it off now and then,but it still has a ton of tread left and wearing well.
    I also have a rear K60 that has around 3000 miles on it,we just did a heavy loaded 2up trip and it hardly shows any wear,the rear also now sports a plug as we had a flat,the tire ran well until I could get pulled over to fix it,I'm sold on K60's.
  3. AKtiger

AKtiger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Love the tires after 8000 miles 2 Dawson trips, Denali Hwy, several runs over Hatcher Pass and a bunch of running on Tarmac the wear on the K60s is great. Will be backing air pressures off to see if it helps lessen the squaring off of the tire. Rear tire has very stiff sidewall and is a PITA to break bead but I've run with a flat bleeding air (for miles) until I got to a place to change out. 12k is doable as I'm a long way from wear bars if the squaring doesn't get too bad. Once I got used to the feel on gravel (good conditions) noticed my speed increasing as well as confidence with these tires. My only concern is shops up here seem to not want to deal with the distributor claiming the tire is hard to get. Might have to consider the Mitas E07 if availability is an issue. Bummer cuz I really like the tire.
  4. MooseisLoose

MooseisLoose Explorer

Oddometer:
    I just got the k60 tires mounted on my s10. Rode the bike to work, which includes about 20miles of highway. The bike felt nervous with a few wobbles/wandering at speed. Anyone else experience this
  5. AK650

AK650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't say that I have. Have had mine over 100 several times with no issues. Even took a Lee Parks course on them, and leaned over pretty good, they feel fine to me. Maybe check your tire pressures?

Jeff
  6. MooseisLoose

MooseisLoose Explorer

Oddometer:
    i did when i fitted the wheels to the bike about 38f/41r prob went down some being its colder out now than this past weekend... the tires ride fine everywhere else
  7. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    What's the recommended tire pressure for the K60 on older Oilheads? I have a 2001 R1150GS and the tourances are recommended 32f/36r. Seems a 50/50 tire should be less not more. From what I read 38r seems to last longer and do O.K. on pavement.