Heidenau K60 tires

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markymcd, Mar 17, 2009.

1. NortwestRider

NortwestRider TRIPOD ADVENTURER !!

Oddometer:
  2. NoFrontiers

NoFrontiers RumbleInTheJungle

Oddometer:
    Hi Wiseanhyzer, I'm interested to hear where you've purchased the RMP relocation caliper bracket? At first sight it looks by far the strongest i've seen on the net, but i don't manage to find this RMP-company. Thnx!
  3. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    My 140-17 has the solid center strip on it. ???.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. wingnut11

wingnut11 generally strange

Oddometer:
    Yup, because you have a 140/80-17. The 140/80-18 does not have the center srtip.
  5. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    Here is a farewell pic of my K60,it has been on my bike twice.Once for the trip up the Dalton and back and then 9 months of commuting . Then I remounted it and did the WABDR with it.It now has over 14,000 miles on it .
    [​IMG]

Replacing it with a 705.
    [​IMG]
  6. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    Is that the picture of it now when you are taking it off? :eek1

If it is, I think you have more life left in it then I do in my current K60. :lol3 I think I'll get about 8k out of mine which I'm pretty happy with, but I do tend to be harder on tires and haven't done any trips or commuting which usually help extend the mileage. I can only get 4-5k if I'm lucky on a rear 705.

7. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    Yup that pic was taken about 2 hours ago . it probably has another. 2,000 miles in it but it is cracking really bad at the base of the tread blocks .My bike only has 48 hp and I ride like the grampa I am. !!.
    I'm hoping for 10,000 out of the 705. !!
    Also I got 13,000 miles out of my front TKC with some tread left.
  8. danketchpel

danketchpel Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think you'll get closer to 6-7k out of the 705, maybe 8k. I've got about 5k on one that was on my Stelvio and I'd guess there's about 1k left, maybe a bit more depending on how far you'd want to push it. It has some minor cracking around the base of the tread blocks.

If I go for that style of tire again I'll try the Full Bore version of it.
  9. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    The most I've ever gotten out of a 705 was around 9K miles and I was exceptionally easy on it. Bike was a DL650, entire time mounted was touring on a trip with very high tire pressures and speeds hardly ever got over 80mph. You might well get 10K but it's gonna be hard to do.
  10. NortwestRider

Oddometer:
    The NC is VERY easy on tires and chains/sprockets
  11. KDXfile

KDXfile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't worry so much about mileage or wear or price but which tire performs the best.
    Is the 705 really a better tire than the K60?
  12. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure I'll get 10k out of my K60's. I've put on 3300 miles on the rear of my Tenere' and I've used 5/32 out of 15/32 of total tread depth. I have heard that they wear faster at first and then seem to wear better after that -- time will tell.
  13. Jud

Jud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Better how? Better on tarmac? Prolly so.

Better off tarmac,,,, prolly not.

The K60 does wear better, prolly twice the life of a 705 going by most reports and roughly twice the price while being more aggressive off tamac. But,,, you said wear and price is not a factor for you.:1drink
  14. Dutchgit

Dutchgit Completely clogless

Oddometer:
    I've been using the Heidenau K60 for about three years now swapping to the TKC once in between.
    In my book the Heidenau beats the TKC hands down apart from muddy like sections off-road.
    The Heidis are way better on wet roads than the TKC which I've found dangerous at times.

The snaking on tar strips and road lines and such are down to the pressure you're using in them.

On our BMW/Husky 650's we run them at 1.6 Bar front and 1.8 Bar rear.
    We have no issue whatever on stripes and all that so to those who have: You might want to lower the pressures a bit. I haven't got the right pressure in Psi at hand but I'm sure you'll be able to find that out.

Anybody who has doubts if you can use the entire profile on these lower pressures just have a look at this image of me riding my XCountry.

Cheers, Ard

[​IMG]
  15. clint64

clint64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a set of k60s on my tenere as well. I have 8900 miles on mine and approaching the wear bars. Not sure I will get 10k out of mine.
  16. phme910

phme910 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have ~10,000 on my K60's. Today I was riding fire roads in the Horseshoe woods N of Toronto after yesterday's rain. Going thru the "pup shit" mud was not fun.
    it took nothing to have the bike go side ways.
    I worked to coast thru.

Wonder how the TKC80's would have fared?
  17. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    You'd be on about your 3rd rear tire by now! :lol3

The TKC's definitely do better than the K60's in mud, but depending on the bike and rider, slick mud can still be a handful. I would also imagine at 10k miles, they are showing some wear.
  18. dodgierogie

dodgierogie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    in the video toward the end there is a shot of the tyre on the bike

<IFRAME height=360 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wy9G2I_OnfY?feature=player_embedded" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>
  19. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  20. BlueLghtning

Oddometer:
    I'm very tempted to try the E-07 next on my Vstrom. I've enjoyed the rear K60, never tried the front and don't think I missed much on the front. I ran what was left of a TKC for awhile up front then just put on a Shinko 705.

It's even more enticing now that Motorace has the Mitas in the US too so you don't have to pay shipping from MX-1 although I know they have done a great job with the ADV riders that have supported them! :clap

So is Durellracing in the US also? I hadn't heard of them but if they are then 2 US companies carrying the Mitas!