Heidenau K60 tires

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by markymcd, Mar 17, 2009.

1. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    that's a bit more than i was thinking they'd sell for. bummer.
    being direct from the importer, no agressive pricing like if the big resellers sold them.

a shinko 705 f&r can be had for $100 and are getting 6000 miles, so for a 1/3 of the price i can give up some dirt performance.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10268052&postcount=309
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    That sounds high to me too. The shipping cost for my 140/80-17 rear and 90/90-21 to Oregon was only US$12 (and no tax). So if the shipping cost is the same, that would make the total for the 150/70-17 and 90/90-21 from Moto Amore, according to the prices on their web site, only US$249. :confused

David
  3. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't find any prices on their web site - you have a link?

Trevor
  4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    just checked again:
    http://www.moto-amore.com/heidenau/productsnew_b.html

and i'm sure it's for his 1200 GS
    so 110/80/19 - $134.20
    150/17 - $167
    = 301.20 for the tires alone.

these prices are THE most premium as they come for big beast bikes.
    guess when you have the only middle ground tires going, you can price them to be the most expensive set on the market. it's really only a few more bucks than other comparable german tires, but it's still a bummer these came in more not less than the others.

i'd still say it's still has to do with the direct importer charging top dollar vrs the resellers discount pricing. i doubt motoamore is gonna bring in enough to see these at the big reseller, similar to how mefo explorer low volumes are only seen at 2 speciality importers.

http://www.americanmototire.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=200&osCsid=75bc02f19dff128961d5e6aef16fa15d
    http://arizonamoto.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SWMT&Category_Code=DualP

you 800gs get the deal because the front 21" is cheaper than 19" & you can run the 140-17 in the rear.

heads up all 130-17" rear tire users!!!!
    where i will use them is in the 130-17" rear of my DR (f650gs, klr650 & others) @ $110. a premium price yes, but better priced than the current mefo explorers which has crept up to $150 over the last few years
    http://www.klr650.com/MEFO Sport Trail.html
    http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/765/
    i match this rear to a 21" tck-80 front for a great traction long lasting tire combo.

as i use my dr more for dirt work than my strom, i'm going with 705 shinkos for the strom. those have gotten very fovarable reviews for the price. yes you give up traction compared to the k60 but i'm not using my strom as primary dirt machine (my only bike, etc.)

you guys with only 1 bike, a beast, for dirt work will have to suck it up & pay the price for what looks to be your best option. hopefully in the future the price may come down some.

many talk about the virtues of larger bikes for off-road use, but tire prices are glaring example while 650 thumper are cheaper to opperate over these bikes. i'll keep my 650 thumper for this and replace it with a 660 tenere (21" front/130-17" rear) when we eventaully see it in the US
  6. mlyamkaw

mlyamkaw Drill Baby Drill

Oddometer:
    21 inch tire is cheaper than the 19 inch front that I needed. :deal Mine was $167 for rear, $134 for front, plus shipping. Other sizes are cheaper. I looked at the Shinko as well, but wanted a bit more traction off road. I'm willing to pay more for that. These should last me a season, for an extra $200, I get more traction off road. :evil
  7. Gravehunter

Gravehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    wow.. very dissapointed in the pricing! :huh Was thinking of trying them out when my current set of tires are worn out. Very happy with my rear Mitas E-09 and for $80 shipped to my door its cheap too! 5000 miles on it so far and 6mm of tread left! :clap
  8. wiseanhyzer

wiseanhyzer Long timer

Oddometer:
    130/80-17 rear and 110/90-19 front $242 including shipping to Georgia. Shipping was $23. I thought that was pretty reasonable.
  9. Gravehunter

Oddometer:
    I was refering to the 19" front and 150-17 rear for a Strom.
    About on par with TKC's i guess really(a little higher still) i guess i was just expecting them to be less. Not out of line by any means. I guess i got more miles to think about it. :)
    I like my knobbies and am on my 3rd set, but on long interstate rides and in corners it would be nice to have more rubber on the road. Loosk like they would be a 10-12,000 mile tire.. so the cost is strung out some there too.
  10. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    Not if you smoke 'em like those in your avatar! :brow

I'm only expecting maybe 8,000 miles from the rear, but 10-12,000 might be possible from the front.

And given their off-road/on-road utility, I think the price is reasonable. Yeah, you can get cheaper tires. But you'll likely have to replace them sooner. So it all washes out in the end.

David
  11. Gravehunter

Oddometer:
    LOL .. thats only when they its time to replace them.. so i get the last few $'s out of them before i put on a new set! :evil :rofl

I have got 7000 miles out of each of my last rear TKC's(down even with the wear bars) which is higher than most get so i think the K60's would last a long time. I was mainly concerned with the gravel performance but it sounds like they do well.
  12. mike p1

mike p1 WELL LIT ADVENTURER

Oddometer:
    I will have a set in my hands on Tue and can't wait to put em on but I have abt 2 thou mi left on my tourances so I'll b patient . I took the BMW 2 day off road class and am looking fwd to practicing w these tires on the bike.

Woodworks , how about that CDT ? , A friend of mine Greg and I did it backin 04 and it was kickass. I'm sure you had a great time . Getting back to the tires, I bought a tire changer to go back and forth TKC / Tourance , But hopefully I can get decent enough tire wear w the K60 to keep them on all the time.
  13. mike p1

mike p1 WELL LIT ADVENTURER

Oddometer:
    I will have a set in my hands on Tue and can't wait to put em on but I have abt 2 thou mi left on my tourances so I'll b patient . I took the BMW 2 day off road class and am looking fwd to practicing w these tires on the bike.

Woodworks , how about that CDT ? , A friend of mine Greg and I did it backin 04 and it was kickass. I'm sure you had a great time . Getting back to the tires, I bought a tire changer to go back and forth TKC / Tourance , But hopefully I can get decent enough tire wear w the K60 to keep them on all the time.
  14. Gravehunter

Oddometer:
    Your sig is hilarious!... :rofl
  15. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Cave Man

Oddometer:
    thanks for this, these people were very nice & set me up.
  16. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Cave Man

Oddometer:
    That's an astoundingly long wearing tire you've got there. That or our definitions of "worn out" aren't the same. I replaced my front Battlewing around 3500 miles because the 'shoulder' part of the tread was severly worn from hard cornering on pavement. There was still plenty of meat in the middle, but it was time to change it. I just took that tire out & measured: the wear bars are 1.5mm high. if you run it until you hit those bars, your tire will be "bald" from my point of view.

The rear Batlewing I rode to 5000 miles, and could have gone longer but it was flat enough in the middle to cause pucture worries and affect handling, and also I really wanted something that would handle sand. Over all I was quite happy with these tires, they worked great on pave and better than I expected in dirt, so as a compromise to start out on a new bike with I was happy enough with them. Coming from the sport bike world, geting 4-5000 miles out of a pair of tires seems reasonable. Sure, they could have gone longer, but there's a trade off between performance & economy, I usually will skew towards the performance side of teh curve.
  17. Karel

Karel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where can I buy these tires?
  18. Bike4Fun

Bike4Fun Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer:
  19. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    What Bike4Fun said. :deal

David
  20. M N B

M N B would rather be riding

Oddometer:
    Sheesh, I just noticed that motoamore is local to me...