Heidenau K60 vs TKC80 Rears

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by Chanesj, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Chanesj

Chanesj 2013 Triumph Tiger XC

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, i need some opinions here (when do people ask for those anymore)

I am going to buy a set of tires. i am doing the WABDR in July and need to beef them up from my stock tires off my Triumph Tiger 800. The guy is going to sell me a TKC70 front tire and pair it with the Heidenau K60 in the rear for $200. Thought that was a screaming deal. He also has a TKC80 rear, he would also sell instead as a package for $200. I cant make up my mind which one to get.

I like the mileage factor with the K60s, but from everything i have seen online the TKC80 may be better suited for the WABDR?
  2. DA KLIXTER

DA KLIXTER old and slow

Oddometer:
    I ride a 1200 GS. I've used TKCs front and rear since 05.They're great on the dirt, and wear out fast on pavement ( but handle well). I've had 3 flats in 15 years and 55k miles (85% dirt in Idaho,Nevada,Montana,Wyoming,Oregon & California). If those are new tires, that's a good price.

CK
    Kerrizor likes this.
  3. tdewitt

tdewitt gas'n it

Oddometer:
    K60's suck
  4. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a great price either way. Wow. I run the K60's all the time on our 1290 SA but am always 2up fully loaded. I figure I need all I can get. Have done parts of the BDR's and BOM with no issues. You'll be just fine either way. Cheers!

And yeah people hate K60's just not me.. lol!
    Kerrizor likes this.
  5. Chanesj

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys, and yes, these tires are brand new with the stickers still on them. Ill probably be more of 60-40 street to dirt
  6. Chanesj

Oddometer:
    reasons?
  7. DA KLIXTER

DA KLIXTER old and slow

Oddometer:
    The guys I ride with on K60's say they break loose a little abruptly on the dirt. They also seem to hook up a little suddenly. I'm sure this is a subtle difference, and I've never ridden on them. I'm pretty much sold on the smoothness of the TKC's on dirt, but I'm old. And slow.

CK
  8. tdewitt

tdewitt gas'n it

Oddometer:
    On pavement you get up on the lugs, you can feel the vibration in the turns really fun on wet pavement. In the mud you go forward ok but the lugs only push you forward no side grip so your rear tire is always going to be headed into the rut. I have heard about lots of mileage out of them but when I ran the WABCDR on my dl1000 they were done at the end of the trip.
    I'm TKC only on the front of my ktm 950. Because of the mileage issue, I ran a Shinko 705 rear when I did the TAT 2 years ago. Really glad we only had a little mud. Other then that it did just fine and would be fine on the WABCDR unless it rains. Then I would be on a TKC rear as well.
    the key to making the tire last on a long trip is throttle and brakes. We did 4k miles on the TAT and I still had half life left in the tires. I took 50% of the life out of a Shinko 805 rear in ten miles once. Triple digits on gravel kills them quick.
    Chanesj likes this.
  9. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    K60 is near impossible to dismount in the field in the event of a flat. Sidestand from another bike WITH a heavy rider on the seat just to break the bead, after several tries. Lots of air to seat the bead again once you do get it off.
    It rains here and K60's are NOT rain friendly, and as mentioned, they aren't that great offroad either.
    TKC80's are one of the easiest tires to mount/dismount. They work well in the rain and really well in the dry. they won't wear as long as the K60, but I still prefer them to the scouts.
    I will never mount another K60, front or rear.
  10. tdewitt

tdewitt gas'n it

Oddometer:
    The k60 is the only tire I have ever had to cut to get it off the wheel.
  11. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    You asked for it so here are 900 opinions
    A front TKC 80 will last and have decent traction except in the mud. We got caught in Thunderstorms at the Giant Loop ride last spring and I had both feet out like outriggers trying to stay upright. The TKC 80 rear is fine as well except for wear and the sidewall is not that strong on the front or the rear.
    I'm running Motoz Adventures front and rear on my 1090 and am much happier in all regards. You can run 25psi rear 26 front and still not worry about rims and sidewalls. I just changed the rear to another Motoz Adventure after 3900 miles and it still had at least 1000 miles left in it. Even if you tend to ride more street for the WABCDR I would go with more knob. That TKC70 will suck if it rains.
    Oh and I run Motorex like KTM wants me to...
    One Fat Roach and BobcatSig like this.
  12. Big Tall Bastard

Big Tall Bastard Voice of Reason

Oddometer:
    Thirsty posted this in the KTM section. Its on the WABCDR
    Just sayin...
    [​IMG]
  13. Chanesj

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
  14. Chanesj

Oddometer:
    yeah im running tubliss so hopefully i wont need to do that. Im not pushing boundries or anything, i think im gonna go with the TKC70 front and 80 rear
    Big Tall Bastard likes this.
  15. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    you know,,I think I may still have a used heidy front you could have for the taking,,
  16. Chanesj

Oddometer:
    Lol thank you but i think ive been thouroghly turned off on the K60s.
  17. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, well the TKC 80 sucks too.
    Chanesj likes this.
  18. 81husky

81husky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like the TKC 80's on my Triumph 800, but the rear does wear out extremely fast.
    Chanesj likes this.
  19. b4thenite

b4thenite Long timer

Oddometer:
    K60 has different patterns for different sizes, hence the difference of characteristics. Legendary K60s are for bigger bikes. Smaller K60s has good traction, but do not last as bigger size.
  20. dhally

dhally Hammerhead Supporter

Oddometer:
    The TKC80 works better for me on central WA gravel than the Shinko 705. The 705 is a more road tread similar to TKC70. More traction is better especially on front. I get about 1500-2000 miles on the rear tkc80.

I also tried a Shinko Fatty front and it was better yet.