Heidenau K60

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by upweekis, Apr 11, 2010.

1. wildhog911

wildhog911 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I rode the K60 rear tire for 2300 miles on the CDR then doubled back into Colorado for high pass riding. The tire worked fine on the highway up from New Mexico but really had trouble with the rocky gravel roads around Silverton. If you notice the 17 inch tire has a solid stripe down the middle of the tire that does not exist on the 18 inch rear that at KTM uses. This has a bearing on stability in rocky terrain. I switched back to TKC80's when I returned. The milage is not as great but the traction is better on a 17inch tire. I wish the K60 tread pattern matched the 18 inch.
  2. Dewtwo

Dewtwo old trail rider! Supporter

Oddometer:
    My thoughts exactly.
    Do not stop in gravel with your 17".
    You my not get moving again!
  3. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Don't read me wrong. Not a huge fan o these tires other than they se to last forever. Not a characteristic i really care much about while on 2 wheels.

Bit they do respond nicely to airing down. Moreso than most other tires.
  4. Dewtwo

Dewtwo old trail rider! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too, let out 5-6 lbs. when off roading my K60's
    Helps a great deal.
    I always have my little compresser with me.

Please don't start about bending my rims,
    I do not slam this pig 800 around off road.
    I'm old, and I have dirt bikes for that!!!!!
  5. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Way back in the thread we established that about 20psi, even with a pillion off road, is a fairly safe bet with these. They are stiff. Some say they will run flat and not break the bead, I got a 3 inch nail in mine and it broke the bead, spun on the rim. Tore the tube.

Not pretty. It was full of green slime...slippery green shit from asshole to earhole.

Mind you, it's the only flat I've had in a lot of kms off road. Plus it occurred on the tar section on the way home from off road...so...

I found that cutting out the centre groove with my home made tyre iron was the shizzle for gravel roads. It worked heaps better after that, and my wife noticed the difference from the co-pilot seat. She said that it moved around a lot, with sudden sideways kicks before I cut out the centre bar, but after it felt much more planted.

Other than the centre bar I didn't mind the K60 at all. After 11,000kms the tread depth at centre was still about 7mm from memory.

My Karoo 3s are at about that depth after 4000km. Big difference.
  6. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got the 130/80 rear so there's no central bar on that which is better, but how do you think the K60 compares to the Karoo 3 for on and off road grip as well as feedback and wet weather riding?

I'm thinking about the Karoo 3s are my next tyre.
  7. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have found that I actually really like the Karoo3. Much like a road tyre on road. Still works reasonably well in most off road.

Wears fast on the rear, but all my riding has been with pillion and gear.

Very predictable. Good in the wet.
  8. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm definitely going to give it a go.

I'm using the K60 silica for winter, so not too fussed about wear rate. In summer I want to switch to the Karoo 3. It's a radial tyre so should provide better feedback. The gap between the tread look larger than the k60.
  9. Moto Mikey

Moto Mikey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my short review of the Heidenau K60 tires. I had a fresh set installed in Calagary back on 6AUG13 with 27,377 miles on the odometer. I'm now in Peru (on my way to TDF) and installed a set of TKC80 tires with 44,969 miles on the odometer.. that's over 17,000 miles (28,000 kilometers) out of a single set of Heidenau K60 tires! Pretty impressive wear life to me! I probably could have gotten another 800 to 1,000 miles out of them too..

I did aprox 85% on-road/15% off-road with them. I kept them around 36psi front and 42psi rear except when off-road when I lowered them to around 25psi.

The rear tire is great. Excellent wear and handling both on and off-road. I'd definitely get one again.

I'd rate the front tire is only fair. I found it makes A LOT of tire noise/whine when cruising around 100kph and also produces more vibration than I'd like.. Off-road it's okay but absolutely needs the tire deflated to around 25psi to produce any confidence.

I think my ideal combo would be a K60 rear and TKC80 front.

Pics from when I removed them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. JustBob

JustBob Uh...who me? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You have reached the same conclusion as me, Mike, reference front and rear and tire pressures, although I never got the mileage you did. Just running them a bit lower on the road....33F and 37R. 28/28 off-road. I think I'll go down to 25/25 off. The side walls are so stiff the risk of a bent rim is very low. I even had to run the rear with no air for about 40 miles. Just rode slow and easy in the curves. Got me home.
  11. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have found that combination to be really good. I get around 13,000 miles from a tkc 80 on the front. I haven't worn out my first set of k60 yet, and I have about 10,000 miles on them. I only got around 3500 miles on tkc 80 on the back. I haven't noticed a significant difference in traction between the two. When the road turns to shit it doesn't make much difference what you have on.
  12. Pangia

Pangia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorebutt, I have to disagree with you...I think it depends upon the type of mud / clay. I run TKC 80 front and rear and ride over 60% dirt in New Mexico. I consider myself an average rider and often ride with riders who are better than me. Three different times, three different riders (who are better than me) have gone down when following me through wet clay / mud. Each time they were on K60's and I was on TKC 80's.

While New Mexico clay sticks to both the K60 and the TKC 80, in these conditions, the TKC 80 threw the clay off a little bit (enough to reveal a little tread) where as the K60 was totally covered in clay and became a slick. I am not saying I could ride hard in these conditions, but I could ride, where as the guys on the K60's needed to stop and scrape mud every 50 feet and they also required pushing up small inclines. What I could have covered in minutes on my TKC 80's took us about 1.5 hours because of the K60 tread pattern + New Mexico clay. IMO, these guys should have turned around when we saw the rain coming, but they did not and as the rider who was not as good, I just watched it all unfold as we got deeper into New Mexico Clay.

I get a little less milage than you on my rear TKC 80, more like 2,500-3,000 miles and I typically run 36-40 PSI rear, 32-34 PSI front. I'd like to get the milage a K60 offers, but I prefer dirt and from what I have seen in the clay, I will not trade in my TKC 80s.

Cheers - Pangia
  13. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put on some new TKC-80s before a Baja trip, I'm still learning about riding offroad but they really improved the bike. I have been able to go lots of places that I didn't expect to go when I got the bike. The mileage isn't that good but the traction is.
    Yesterday I ran into some nasty mud and the TKC-80's were able to throw it off pretty well once I gave it some throttle.
  14. GPHusky250

GPHusky250 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been running K60s front and rear and for the street they are fine. I read stories of guys complaining about K60s not holding up in the twisties and to that I say if you want good tires for the twisties, take your F800 down and get some PR3s installed. They will be crap for offroad, but wonderful in the twisties. :)

As far as offroading goes, in most conditions the rear K60 is acceptable...the front doesn't inspire confidence once you get into the loose stuff...sand, DG, mud and so on. Since we're heading out this weekend for a couple of days done in BAJA, I'm going to take the advice of some here and install a front TKC80 and see how it performs.

Any recommendations for tire pressure from those who have both the TKC80 front and K60 rear...offroad?
  15. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure about the K60 but I ran my front TKC-80 at 30 psi in Baja, did plenty of dirt and even crossed a few small rivers.
  16. Pangia

Pangia Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GP: I recommend experimenting. On my F800GS, at first I aired down my TKC's off road as I came from a WR 450 and rode that at low psi. After experimenting with different tire pressures off road, I have found that I now prefer the TKC at almost full recommended pressure. For me, I like 34-35 front 38-40 rear for most of my off-road riding. Deep gravel or sand, airing down helps. I did notice that when aired down to say 28-30 front and 34 rear, the bike felt less stable and less responsive. Like too much flex in the sidewall. On road at lower pressures, the tires heat up more and on road performance decreases substantially....especially highway speeds of 70 mph+. So I keep my tires fairly full and use a good gauge to get consistent results. I do have upgraded front suspension.

I know you asked TKC front, k60 rear and I don't run that. Still I say experiment and find your sweet spot and report back.

Cheers - Pangia
  17. ebrabaek

ebrabaek Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have k60 in the back and tkc80 in the front. They are both run tubeless on custom rims. 26 front...and 28 in the rear....as I smack the snot out of them I will do rim, and or tire damage if I go lower. The above combo works very good for my 225 geared up rider weight, and offer a great compromise between handling and safety.

Ps 18 inch rear.
  18. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have found diminishing return when you go below 25 psi. You get a chance to dent the rim or twist off the valve stem when you go too low. You can only get so big of contact patch. I've found that to be around 25 psi at my weight and load. Heavier loads and riders probably need a little more air to get the same size contact patch.
  19. B_C_Ries

B_C_Ries Long timer

Oddometer:
    My bikes road handling really improved when I increased the front TKC-80 to 35 psi. Seems to do just fine in dirt and sand as well.
  20. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    Just had a rear installed to replace a dead TKC80. I am noticing a buzz right around the 20-25mph mark that is not there above or below those speeds. Also the buzz will go away if I am turning enough to have the bike leaned a fair bit at the 20-25mph. The only posts I have seen in this mega-thread talk about a twisted tube. I had a shop install the tire (as I don't have a machine only spoons and bead breaker, etc) so I did not witness the tube install.

What advice can you give me? Should I pull the wheel off and try to break the bead and check for myself, take it back to the shop and have them check it, or some other plan of action? I have not put that many miles on the tire yet so I don't want to wait too long so the tube is damaged nor do I want to be a nervous Nellie by taking a perfectly fine wheel back to a shop that will probably charge me for checking.

Thanks.