Heidenau K60

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by upweekis, Apr 11, 2010.

1. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. mischief

mischief misadventurer

Oddometer:
    I didn't get that buzz with only a rear but I did with the front. It made my rotors rattle. It was very annoying :deal
  3. runnr548

runnr548 BMW Pilot

Oddometer:
    We have K60's on three bikes...one F650GS twin, and two F650GS thumpers. Other than a bit of break in, the three of us have no complaints.
  4. waterlilly

waterlilly No Agenda World Tour

Oddometer:
    Hello
    Today I had a call from a gentleman out of
    Florida, the email you gave me bounce back .
    If your here I have the tires in stock.
    Shipping was $90.60 cdn.
    Email me at sales@dualsportplus.com
    Re Heidenau for VStrom, I have lots
    Cheers
    Catharine
  5. GeckoRider

GeckoRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oakland, CA, USA, Thrid Rock from the Star Sol
    Going to run it down in Death Valley at the end of March and will post back how well it did for me. Probably going to run a MT21 on the front for better grip. I don't plan on going up many goat/mule trails while there, just the "main" dirt roads and some jeep trails.

For those of you running these on fire roads what pressure at you going down to?
  6. toolbox77

toolbox77 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is anyone running a 130/80/17 or 140/80/17 on the stock 17 rim? Thoughts or feedback would be appreciated. The tread pattern seems preferable to the 150/70/17 for my purposes.

Apologies in advance if this topic has been addressed previously....
  7. WoodWorks

WoodWorks House Ape

Oddometer:
    I'm now on my fourth 140/80/17. I prefer it to the 150, especially off pavement. No problems. But I gather that the 130 doesn't fit the rim well.
  8. AdvWolf

AdvWolf Wolfhaven Tree Farm

Oddometer:
    I have been running the 150 and need to purchase a new rear. I think I am going to take your advice and purchase the 140. You are still running stock rims? Best all around tire K60
  9. soph9

soph9 Would Love to ride ALL the TIME

Oddometer:
    I am on my 7th set...:D Still love the rear 150 :clap
  10. fire88dog

fire88dog CaptainStache

Oddometer:
    I recently switched to a K60 from a TKC for hopes of longevity. I loved the TKC (front still on) but thought I would try the K60. I mounted it at home w spoons / levers and the tube is fine, the rumble at 20-25 I feel is due to tread design only. I am not the least bit concerned, the tire has worked very well in all but wet southern Indiana clay that I doubt the TKC would like either. You don't need a "tire machine" to break the bead or mount the tire. If you don't try it at home how will you ever change or fix a tube on the road, or worse off road? You break the bead using just the spoons, no fancy tools or kickstands etc.
  11. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    ah plenty have said the K60 is a right pain to get on and off in the field. So much so that I'm thinking of going for the Mitas E07 instead for my next trip.
  12. MFSB

MFSB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I use my bike to commute to work. Limited off road so take that for what it is worth. I got 12k miles out of the stock scorpions, 12K out of K60s. So mileage was fine. The rear had the expected hum, but was not a significant increase in vibration. The front was a totally different story. The tread scalloped very badly, and after about 8k miles on the road it was almost worthless for off road use, it would wander and washout during braking. so much so I stopped off roading with this set. Again, mostly on road commuting, 62 miles each way. When I get to ride more off road than on road I will be putting K60's back on.
  13. 4TooMany

4TooMany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wasn't really that happy with mine. I had TKC 80s on when I got the bike, and they wore out fairly fast as expected. So I got a set of K60s figuring they'd be longer lasting (they were), worse off-road (they were), and better on-road (they weren't). As mentioned, the front has a fairly intense rumble/vibration below about 30mph. My front also had a terrible hop that made the front feel like a pogo stick below about 40mph. It was seated fine, I think it was either out of round or had a funky belt.

Anyway, all things considered, I'll stick with the TKC 80s. Or maybe I'll try some TKC 70s next time if I decide to head to something slightly more road oriented.
  14. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    I agree with 4TM.
    Not a fan. TKC's have always been my go-to. But I keep trying others to find something better (the front TKC wears far too funky for me).
    Right now, I'm trying the Mitas E07. A little over 1K on them now. Pleased there so-far.
  15. Nogoingback

Nogoingback Adventurer

Oddometer:

True, it is normal, or as they say, they all do that. Some folks like fire88dog
    don't mind it, others do. I can't wait to wear the damned thing out so I can
    replace it. My bike vibrates through the front end strongly from about 15-30
    mph and it just annoys the shite out of me. Otherwise they're OK as a compromise tire. When they came out they were pretty good: now I think
    there are better choices.
  16. Captain Excellent

Captain Excellent Stay weird, or you'll be normal like everyone else

Oddometer:
    I'm curious about what sort of pressure you guys are running the K60s at. I've found the front is more "funky" at lower pressures on pavement, so I run mine at about 40 psi front and 38 psi rear. I've also had very even wear, no cupping, and little rumble above about 5 to 10 kph. I now have about 10k km on them and they are likely 60% worn.
  17. MFGamesta

MFGamesta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK. I know the tire pressures increase as the tires warm up but I wonder what is acceptable.

Here in Orange County, CA I have my rear at 38 psi when the ambient temp is about 65F. I have been using the Fobo Bike bluetooth tire pressure monitors which I think are great. On a warm day here, my tire temp may get up to 102F with the pressure at about 41.

I took a ride to the desert recently and the ambient temps were about 104F and my tires were up to about 106 and the tire pressure was 45psi at one point. Is that normal? I'm not really worried about the temps but was surprised at the increase in pressure.
  18. sorebutt

sorebutt Long timer

Oddometer:
    The tire pressure should increase about 10% with heat. A greater increase means you should have more air when you start.

Don't forget that the tire pressure will change with altitude. Your pressure gauge always reads zero while ambient air pressure is reduced by 3% for every thousand feet.
  19. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Which would mean tyre pressure is increased at altitude. Something to think about considering I'm going to be at over 3,500m
  20. ride2little

ride2little Riding Like the Wind

Oddometer:
    Ran mine @ 32f / 36r per the manual.