1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Heidenau K76 - Tire Review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ScarrJaw, Aug 23, 2009.

1. ScarrJaw

ScarrJaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I was planning on getting a new set of Metzler Tourances for my 2008 BMW R1200 GSA, the stock Bridgestone BattleWings had 8500 miles on them and were worn out. I personally didn't like them, they lasted way short and were mediocre on the road. John the owner of Moto Amore recommended I try a set of Heidenau K76's - I had heard good things about their K60's but there was little knowledge about the K76s here in the states, I thought what the hell? So I gave it a shot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So they look Sorta like Tourances accept the Knobs are bigger and the space between them is a bit bigger, with fewer Knobs, 3 Rows instead of 4. My only nervousness about them would be riding in the rain.

So I put 1 K on them riding around where I live, Santa Cruz California, then I went on a little ride. I went from Santa cruz, rode some dirt in Utah, Aspen, Winston Salem NC, Main, New York, Cleveland and Chicago. On the return I went the long way home, I went to Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, White horse then followed the Rockies back down Canada and into Idaho and back to California.

The Tires have 9,800 miles on them now and I feel like I can offer an opinion -
    Rear
    [​IMG]
    Front
    [​IMG]

I Love these Tires, They last pretty damn good, the rear has maybe 3K left on it, the front even more. They did better then Tourances in the dirt - I think of Tourances as 90/10's and I rate the K76's more like 80/20's. One thing negative though - The front tire is LOUD on the pavement, Like my mt 21's i have on my 640ADV, the larger grooves on the K76's cup more air so they make a pretty good howl.
    I crossed some streams and hit a lot of wet pavement on my little around the block ride, they did well in the wet, I have a hard guess on wet pavement where the tires grip ends and the anti lock/traction control begins, but from what I can tell they did damn fine, I always felt well planted.

So next set of tires I put on this beast will be another pair of K76's - I do want to try out the K60's some time.

[​IMG]
  2. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Can't say much on the tires but I like the red and black color scheme.
  3. Wallowa

Wallowa Diver Down

Oddometer:
    Bike is really kitted out..very nice...as for tires..I am going to try a set of K60s late next year after I mount my new TKCs..TKCs have been for me the best for my riding..off road...but the Heidenau brand seems to be making good tires....I personally will scarifice how fast they wear down for more control...reports on K60s say they give both..

Ps...You want a Britten? Take a cold shower!
  4. ScarrJaw

ScarrJaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanx i powdercoated the bags and made the reflective tire tread decals based on an mt21 tread :)
  5. ScarrJaw

ScarrJaw Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i do seriously love the k76's and can hardly wait ot try the k60s

ps ps... A dream bike is gotta be a bit unattainable.. hope your not dreaming of a honda rebel :)
  6. malloy

malloy Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anybody add to this? :ear :ear
  7. rulis

rulis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ordered K76's for upcoming season :nod
  8. rulis

rulis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Last weekend I went off tarmac and was surprised with a great grip.
    K76's work better on gravel than TWings ir Anakees on my Aprilia Caponord.
    They look smooth and gripy on tarmac, but I have not tried extreme cornering yet.
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    thanks for the report!
    first pic i've seen of these.

similar tread concept to shinko 705s.
    hopefully the radial version will fix all the delam issues with those.

k60 front k76 rear might be a real nice combo w/ the added front k60 grip.
  10. FatChance

FatChance Road Captain

Oddometer:
    And now you are going to have to change the tread pattern on the side cases to match the new Heidenau tread pattern? :dunno

:lol3
  11. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Any other experiences/comments on the K 76's ?
  12. Pcfly

Pcfly Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer:
  13. strombolie650

strombolie650 n00b

Oddometer:
    Oem trail wings on my dl650 have had enough after 10k. After a ton research( constantly second guessing myself) I just ordered in a set of Heidenau k76's look nice can't wait to give them a spin. Will give a review once I clock some ride time...who knows when as I reside in NE Ohio:cry
  14. skierd

skierd Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer:
    I've had a K76 rear in 150/70-17 on my WR250X most of last summer. I rode up the Dalton to Prudhoe on it, Dust2Dawson, and lots of local road riding, gravel roads, minor trails, etc and have put around 5000 miles on it. I have just about 4000 miles on it and its maybe, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 worn.

Dry pavement, its pretty ok I guess. Hard as a rock, not a ton of dry grip but not bad for a mild pace, but thats probably why it wears so well. Heavy heavy tire, has taken and will probably take a ton of abuse. I've found it to be fairly sketchy on wet pavement, particularly at the end of last riding season when it started to get colder but then again maybe my little bike can't get heat in to it. It is quiet, or at least quieter than my bike's exhaust (can't say that about the D606's I used to run). I notice the weight on every bump and the size on every transition, but it is too big for my bike. I can't wait to go back to a 140 width tire...

Gravel roads, it shines. Ok traction on the Dalton when it got slick and muddy (never crashed), fantastic on hardpack gravel, tracks and slides well and predictably on loose gravel over hard pack, and digs itself out of loose soil surprisingly well. Its no knobby, but its a damn sight better than a sport slick (previous tires were a Continental SM in 150/60-17 and a BT090 in 140/70-17) once the going gets rougher.

Its an absolute bitch to mount, or say trying to break the bead when you pick up a nail. :bluduh On the plus side, the stiff sidewall made limping home more than possible and I think you could probably ride it fairly far flat if you took it easy. Not a big deal on a bike with tubeless wheels of course...

I probably won't run one again on my WRX, but on a heavier street DS bike, especially for touring, its a no-brainer. Fantastic tire if longevity of tread is a primary concern over pavement performance or touring comfort.

Side note, I wouldn't want to run a K60 front with a K76 rear personally. Give me equal grips at both ends please, high or low doesn't matter, just equal.
  15. nailit2em

nailit2em Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This link is my RR I used the K76 on. I put them on in Guatemala City. There is a review on the tires towards the bottom off page three. Long story short they are the only tire I've used twice on my bike and getting ready to order another set.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=698565&highlight=kansas+city+central

This a link to my RR where I used the K60, prescout model. Happy on one side very disappointed on the other. The failure of these tires did lead me to the K76 though.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601394&highlight=kansas+city+central

Moto Amore is hands down the best place to get these tires. Customer service and standing behind their products is outstanding! And no I don't work for them....I'm half way across the country from their shop:D:rofl
  16. Roelof1966

Roelof1966 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a pair of K76's for my Track T-800CDI after 2 times a pair of K60 Scouts, both doing 25+Kkm. Since I plan to stay on the tarmac more often, the K76 seemed a logical choice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Roelof1966

Roelof1966 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fitted the K76's today, so far so good!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:

The radial 705 Shinkos do not have a delimitation issue. I've run a couple of sets on my GSA. They are great tires and economical to buy, which is a godsend to me as I put on a few miles....:rofl

I appreciated this thread on the K76. I currently have the K60s. 8K on them and they look almost new still. Amazing tires with a fair amount of vibration and road noise as you might expect with the aggressive tread. Love 'em.
  19. Roelof1966

Roelof1966 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So far so good. They do what they are supposed to do :D. A reliable and natural feel, good! Keep you posted.
  20. TimothyCaseTimothy

TimothyCaseTimothy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have about 10k miles on my K60's...rear is still going strong...front may need to be replaced sometime this season...good wear for sure!