1. Livestream Today at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Helena Handbasket: Helena Area ADV Riders' Union

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Chadx, Oct 17, 2009.

1. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback.

Is the hospital to the South?

St. Peter's Health?

Thanks for your time.
  2. cwegga

cwegga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, only one hospital here. ;)
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  3. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Good morning,

I may rent a gear locker (storage unit) in town. My cage will be full when I get there. Plus stuff on roof rails.
    Maybe a 4'x8' unit.

Does anyone know of any good places?

____
    I'll most likely rent something in Missoula seeing how that is where I'll be next, but it would be good to keep some gear and stiff close by for on the fly needs.

Thanks for reading.
  4. Big Red One

Big Red One If yer gonna be one...

Oddometer:
    yeah, lots of parking at the fort. I think you can leave your car there for 45 days before they start to worry about it.
  5. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback!

My Great Uncle was in Big Red 1 in Europe during WW2.
    Thomas Blackstone. From Nora, VA.
    Another Great Uncle was a Platoon Commander with a Shermna Tank unit in the same Theater.

____
    My boss for MCC gave us some helpful information.
    They have arranged housing at Fort Harrison off and on until the 15th of June.
    I'll stay at the Fort on the days off. I want to watch the NBA finals.

We will go to Guard School (wildland fire fighting) in early June.

_____
    I reserved a 6'x4' storage unit 1 mile away with AAA. Behind North Western Energy.
    They just started up a online reservation process, I told the owner how good it was when they called me to confirm things.
    My cage will be full of gear.

___
    I'm set to push on Monday. I have to check in on the 19th during office hours at AAA.

____
    There are a total of 10 of us now.
    http://mtcorps.org/join/opportunities-for-veterans/veterans-green-corps/
  6. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I pulled into AAA Storage in the afternoon.

Good group of folks.

After I got settled there I drive to the Cycle CENTER MC and talked to the sales manager, Ron.
    Great guy. We talked business/MC.

I learned more about the region. It's similar to my old region of SW VA.
    Side by sides are big here too.

Also, how the ForestService put more regulation on dirt bikes, so that has hurt sales too.

He explained to me how bad the fires were last year and that MC sales are down since 2008.

I got to sit on the new Honda Rebels.

Their most sold MC is the KLR. No suprise there.

___
    Town looks very clean. I'm in the library now. Very impressive.
    ____
    Tomorrow I'm going to Mirdochs for some work pants. They have to be chocolate brown.
    _
    It rained a bunch last nite at Livingston.

It barley slacked off as I went west.
    ___
    I may stop by here tomorrow.
  7. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Good afternoon.

I forgot to post that I saw a Black S10 West of Bozeman yesterday.

Here in town, I saw what appeared to be a red new DL650. And then a few mics later a couple more ADV BIKES.
    Walmart parking lot.
    18:30 or so.

__
    Most Beer here is much cheaper than VA.

$2.00 less for a six pack of bottles.
  8. cwegga

cwegga Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yeah, you'll see lots of ADV bikes all summer. It's probably a bit local for most travelers, so a good chance of it being locals, but people come through all summer doing continental divide rides and hopping between Yellowstone and Glacier. You'll see plenty of ADV bikes and sweet campers/overlanding setups.
  9. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    I bought some work pants at Murdochs.

I was very impressed. They even had animal medicine in valves.

The pants were $20 cheaper too than back in Bristol,TN.
    Huge selection of work pants. They must buy in bulk.
    They had a Dewalt tool swap today which brought in lot of folks.
  10. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Orientation week went well.

We stayed at McDonald's Pass, and the weather was great.

Yesterday we hiked up to the top of Mt Helena.
    Very steep grades. But there are not huge down pours during the year to cause ruts. Plus it was very hard packed with little organic material.
    Folks were friendly and I was impressed with the age groups going to the top.

I guess the humidity would be about 50% yesterday in town, and it was 54%. I'm getting better.
    That is low for me.
    ____
    We are are going to Moose Creek next week for chain saw training and OJT.

___
    Have a great weekend.
  11. cwegga

cwegga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, there's always been an interesting mix on Mt. Helena. Even motorcycles way back when.
    http://www.helenahistory.org/mount_helena.htm

My wife was just complaining about how humid it has been the last couple of days. The side door of my house has swollen up and is a bit hard to open now.:jack
  12. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Greetings all,

I had to write to write a blog,

"Due to the long Memorial weekend, the VGC had four days of Chainsaw training, but it was very productive thanks to the Forest Service employees of the Helena and Lewis and Clark National Forest.

Mike and his team provided an excellent instructor to student ratio that was mostly, 2 to 1.

After going over some fundemtals power points, we spent the vast majority of our time hands on. This included breaking down the chainsaw and learning how to clean and maintain and of course being in the field. We had several stations to learn from. I liked the borring station because it helped me with my mechanics and allows the Sawyer to know if a tree has hard or soft wood inside.

Learning the ergonomics to let the saw do the work while you focus on your enviornment was the most challenging thing for me. With great feedback from Mike's team of Instructors, we came a long way in just four days and all received class A Chainsaw felling.

At the end of the week we were put into our permanent crews. The selection process was well thought out. Our three crew leaders have worked hard and have been well trained thanks to MCC beginning the process in February.

Next week I will be in Superior, MT and will helping with thinning back fuels. The following week, all of the crews will go to Lincoln for Red card for fire training."

____
    We camped out at Moose Creek Campground.
    Ot rained a bunch Thursday, and even early Friday.

___
    I see a KLR almost every day year.

Lots of HD too.

On Thursday was two S10!

There was a Ducati naked bike in town yesterday.
    cwegga likes this.
  13. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    The last ten days or so have went really well.
    I'll describe the first week below.
    June 6th-10th

The Crew I'm attached to went to Superior Ranger District. After visiting the office, we had our radios and the plan for the week.

We needed to start clearing out a meadow for wildlife habitat.
    It had never been done, and they had wanted to start the project 10 year ago.

The forest road into work site was well maintained. A Honda Goldwing would have been fine.

We had a strong creek passing by the camp site.
    After we got setup, we and another Sawyer Crew headed to the meadow in the trucks.

It was a short walk down into the meadow and there we received further instruction from a District employee. We got a grid for a helo evac and were told about the pink flagging we saw around.
    We were allowed to slash and fell anything at 10" dbh and below. No stacking. Just trim the limbs off and scatter.

We were told the meadow gets like 140" of snow pack. We were at 4,700 feet or so.

The weather was really in our favor. All rain and such came in of the nite.
    I learned a good lesson. The tent fly is good for preventing hail damage to your tent.

The Steil Saw I had done good. Computer carb. I think she is a 25" blade not sure. Kind of big for what we do, but helps when we low cut a stump.
    We were just given A Certs on felling last week, so our experience improved greatly.
    The soil was so moist that I could pull up very young trees, root and all. Hell, there was still snow on the ground in one tiny spot. There was a lot of Duff and organic soil, and there was some weed like shrubs here me there.

The other Sawyer team and four saws total and they had good morning
    during the week.

On one evening we needed more fuel so we went into town.
    We ate at Durango's. Fair prices for the chow.
    A couple of guys bought a shirt and hat. Good to see the local Economy supported even more.
    We liked the town. We saw a DR200 or 650 in town.

The last day was Sunday, and it stopped raining when we got up. We put in a couple of hours and then loaded up to drive to Lincoln Ranger Station, in HNF for Guard School (fire fighting).

Our crew leader felt like we were productive in the Meadow.
    We will come back to the meadow on Monday with another saw crew.
    It would be cool to visit the place in a couple of years.
  14. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    June 11th-15th.
    Helena NF switcthes the locations each year for guard school amongest it's many Districts.
    I'm glad it was in Lincoln. Good flat area. Weather was good and the food contract they had was good. Also the portapoty was cleaned often and they was a fresh water and sink set up next to them with paper towels. They even had a great ground water facuet. They even let us use their air hose so we could clean our chainsaws.

The District Ranger, Michael Stansberry welcomed us before things got started.
    I was impressed by the detail and commitment they put forth.
    The only negative thing they did wrong technically was cut short the after action report on the last day. However, we were 45 mics into it and the statements were getting weak. So, I personally thought it was the right call. Others did not.

They went above and beyond by creating a live fire excerise on Thursday.
    Keep in mind, there will be fire,so they need their type 2s to be ready.
    They gave us a couple of small paper back books with load of info. Some great stickers to put on our nalgene bottles (18 watch out signs).

They got some Hot Shot Type 1 folk to be our crew bosses.
    Each crew had about 19 folks in them.

We had some rough power points, but we got to rest some from Superior.

Everyone in the Veterans Crew passed their pack test.

Basically, it was way better than I thought it would be. It crushed the training I got back in Virginia in 2015.

Out of the 60 or so Students, maybe 25% will be type 2 this season.
    On August 2nd, I'll head to UM and start up soon after. A few will work from within abuilding.

The live fire event took place off the Nevada Ogden Road.
    The Haines Index was 2, so it was hard for them to start the seperate fires.

Once we got there,we got a anchor point and started digging around. As the chain saws bucked some trees,the crew boss let us know he was going to scout the rest of the fire.

It was cool to see the ladder fules on a big tree catch fire, and then the fire die out. There trees here are hard core. There was no crowning.

We went through an accelerated deal, wish ould normally take 2 days or so.

We did a grid to find hot spots. You do not get in front of the person on your right.
    You walk shoulder to shoulder, but 20 feetapart.

Once we contained the fire,we created a bone yard (camping fires with black logs).
    Ladder we got to lay down line and then do wet mop up.

I tried to do a dry mop up and thanks to the moist soil, I was suprised how good it worked. I was taking out the oxygen part of the triangle.

I will keep an eye out for their fire season and will one day stop by next spring or so.
    cwegga likes this.
  15. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    On the first night we were there I saw a DR650 slowly ride through the District HQ.

A couple of days later I tracked down the owner. He is an inmate here. I asked if he would show my fellow Veteran Crew Member his DR, cause I thought it would be good for him.
    He is leaning toward the KLR and HONDA 650.
    All three of us got to talk and look at the bike for a while.
    The owner got a good deal and should have a great ADV TOURING MC for 2018.
    We thanked him for his time.
    ____
    I plan on getting A MC for next spring.
    I'm not sure what I'll get.

The MIGHTY DR is basically what I need again, but I'd like to learn about other bikes.

A used CRF250L Rally ABS would be most likely the bike for me.
    Maybe a Royal Enfield Himalayan if a dealership opens in Missoula. They desperately need something in Region 1 of the USFS.
  16. Bee

Bee Ride On Brother

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the rest of you but I'm pretty excited about this announcement from Indian.

"When we unveiled the FTR1200 Custom at EICMA, we said we’d listen to feedback from riders around the world,” said Steve Menneto, President, Indian Motorcycle. “Riders definitely have spoken and the response has been overwhelming. We’re proud and excited to announce that we will be putting the FTR 1200 into production.”

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  17. cwegga

cwegga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking I'm going to make it, but we'll see. I was going to change tires, check my valves and rejet my carb this week. Anyone else going to show up?
  18. Cheap Ryder

Cheap Ryder Ride for enlightenment

Oddometer:
    Friday night june 22nd it's happening at york rain or shine. Meet at york and head out at 7PM to ride to the top of hogback at 8000 ft elevation. It might be muddy in spots but the road is rocky a lot so shouldn't be a problem. Bring something warmer for on top since the temp drops a lot with elevation.

Anyone thinking of a royal enfield Himalayan be sure and check out the long standing issues with RE. A couple of brand new standard 500 RE could be bought at Poet's cycle for a really cheap price.
  19. cwegga

cwegga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's some pics posted mid ride![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  20. The_Precious_Juice

Oddometer:
    Week five was productive.

On Monday our five person crew and another six person crew went back to the Lost Trail at Superior Ranger District. Once again it was thinning out the Meadow.

By Friday afternoon, when we left, our partner in the district was pleased.
    I'm better at felling trees and bucking. My face cuts are better and happen faster which is actually more safe. Less time for something to fall on you.

Once we went into town and ate at the Four Aces.
    Great place. Good chow. Good prices.
    My Fellow Crew Got the app for the juke box and was playing some great songs from the 80s.
    I can see myself going back to the place a couple of times a year. Hopefully on a Royal Enfield Himalayan.

I saw a moose near camp on Thursday morning. I just just finished up at the latren and thought someone was walking toward me, but then the moose turned sideways and I saw his profile.
    I kind of yelled "get on out of here",but the moose turned my way and took a couple of steps forward.I then jumped behind a log and then clapped my hands a couple of times yelled "get on out of here", again.
    Thankfully he jogged off in another direction. There were some great tracks in heavy Duff I found later.

I'm lucky I did not spoke the moose about five mics prior cause I was felljg up the water filter next to the creek. I did not look around much. He had to be close at the time.
    Seemed like a young male.
    My action may have not been the best course of action,but the bull did not charge me and stomp me to death, so that is good.

Later that night a Crew Member spotted a Beaver in a calm spot in the creek. I was already a sleep.

____
    Our next hitch takes us to the Flathead NF.
    We will be in Tally Lake Ranger District.
    It will be fuel reductions. It will be 8 days.

Thankfully it was sunny and windy yesterday so we got to air our our tents yesterday in Helena.