Hella wiring question..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crackhead, Feb 23, 2009.

1. crackhead

crackhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to run my Hellas so that they (condition 1) automatically turn on and off w/ the high beams, and (condition 2) can be turned on and off whenever the key is on regardless of what the headlights are doing... I know I need a 3 position switch, and I understand how to wire them for each condition above independently, but Im not sure how to combine then and exactly what switch I need.. Drop the K on me electrical gods..
  2. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  3. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    The 3 way switch needs to be between the switched source and the relay. I would tap into the high beam on one side of the 3 way and the position light (which is on when the ignition is on) on the other side of the three way.

Here is the schematic of how I set my lights up on my KTM. i wanted to be able to have them on all the time w/ the stock headlight or just come on w/ the high beam for night riding or simply be off. Hope this helps.

Dan

NOTE: in my circuit I had the sopt and flood wired differently. The Spot only worked w/ the high beam and the flood was switchable. What you are interested in is the flood wiring circuit.

[​IMG]
  4. crackhead

crackhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    YellowPig,
    Am I correct, that with your setup, you are running the full load of your lights through your switch??
  5. Inane Cathode

Inane Cathode Cheated Anion

Oddometer:
    Unless the pins are labeled wrong it looks like the switching side of the relay runs through the switch, and the powered side goes to the battery/load.
  6. crackhead

crackhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    The more I look at that diagram above, the more it confuses me.. I thought the actual "switch" went on the trigger wire (high beam lead, switched 12v, etc) before the relay.. It looks to me that the switch in the above diagram is between the relay and the load.. Isn't that the purpose of running a relay?? So the load doesn't run through the switch?? YellowPig, I'm not dogging your diagram or your work, I'm just trying to understand..
  7. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    The switch in my setup is acting as a router. It selects the switched power source so you can run the aux lights with either the low beams, the hig beams or off.
  8. crackhead

crackhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    How come the swith isnt ran into the 85 circut of the relay?? That would be low amperage to the switch which would switch the relays onn and off right?
  9. Yellow Pig

Oddometer:
    If you ran the Aux light w/ one operating mode only that would be the case, but if you want to be able to choose between:

1- Off
    2- On only w/ the low beam
    3- On only w/ the high beam

The switch needs to go after the relay. This is a more complex set-up.

To do it your way and have the same three operating options would require two relays and two switches for one light.

The problem is not running the power through the switch, but drawing all the power for the Aux light off an accessory (position light, low beatm, etc..) wiring circuit instead of directly off the battery.

A simple single function circuit like you are looking for would look like this:

[​IMG]

But if I understood you corretly you want the more complex function.
  10. Skippii

Skippii Milkshakes, my lad.

Oddometer:
    No, he's just running the full load of ONE of the lights through the switch.
    Which doesn't make any sense, either.

What was wrong with my diagram?
  11. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    Looks fine to me. (Needs a fuse on the + input though.)
  12. crackhead

crackhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think the flood and spot lights in his diagram each represent a pair of lights, not just a single light..

The more I look at your diagram, the more I think it is exactly what I need.. Im far from an electrical genius and it just took me a shile to decipher it..
  13. MikeyT

MikeyT Krusty Olde Pharte

Oddometer:
    My setup is similar to this one, but doubled. DPST switch, two relays, trigger power for fog lights from low beams, for driving lights from high beams. If the switch is ON the lights work with the corresponding headlight beam. If it is OFF, neither works. I could have done it with two switches, but I'm a lazy old pharte and I had the switch left over from another project.

I don't have the computer skills to do a drawing of it.