Hello Canadians

Discussion in 'Canada' started by JethroDog, Mar 27, 2020.

1. JethroDog

JethroDog dogs bark

Oddometer:
    I don’t usually post outside my area, but just wanted to share this. My daughter is stuck at Toronto Pearson International. She is a US citizen with return rights to Germany and with the COVID19 restrictions the nice folks with Air Canada refused her to board the flight to Frankfurt. What ensued was a cluster f*** of Air Canada telling her to leave the terminal and Canadian Customs telling her that she could not leave the terminal. This is senseless. After an hour of arguing between the United staff that flew her in from Denver with the Canadian Airline folks that told her she arrived to Toronto illegally, she is now on a flight to Ft Lauderdale. My daughter is trying to rush through customs now to get to her flight. Is this really what we have come to?
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brave new world and Germany has no Covid 19 Restriction right now?
  3. WOLF1090R

WOLF1090R Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On behalf of all Canadians I offer my condolences to your daughter, please don't let her experience with our most miserable air line be what defines your experience of Canada. A large number of Canadians hate flying with Air Canada as well.
    Night_Wolf, Fishenough, tbas3 and 6 others like this.
  4. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd walk before using A Canada. I won't bore you with the details, but it takes a bit to motivate me to that degree. Hope your daughter remains safe.
  5. pvwheeler

pvwheeler Your Message Here...

Oddometer:
    I agree, Air Canada sucks sweaty moose balls.Learned that in 2012 on our trip to Australia.
  6. JethroDog

JethroDog dogs bark

Oddometer:
    Lufthansa flights are still arriving from around the world to Frankfurt. They haven’t blocked international flights yet and are assessing arrivals as they come. I have no problems accepting the rules, it is just the hysteria that has me concerned . My daughter is on a flight to Ft Lauderdale right now. crisis averted.
    jasiu, SaSaMCKZ, shuswap1 and 2 others like this.
  7. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad thing are going to work out for her. a bit of a round about route!
  8. rarepartbuilder

rarepartbuilder redemption gypsy

Oddometer:
    i sent a PM... its getting worse with the provincial borders getting real tight on this end of the stick. Montreal is having a 10 hour "observation" time out for making a connector flight from the Canadian west coast.
  9. HarveyM

HarveyM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't think many airlines are 'good' with exceptional circumstances, but Air Canada seems to delight in causing it's passengers problems.
    Night_Wolf, PFD023 and shuswap1 like this.
  10. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am glad she is back in the US, it is too bad it is Florida

United should never have sent her to Toronto. That is where things started to go off track.

We are in a world wide pandemic and the flight /customs rules are changing by the hour.

The kind of situation that your daughter faced is happening at every airport around the world every hour.

At least she didn't have a language issue and fortunately experienced her problem with the officials of a country that still has a cordial relationship with the United States.

Customs was correct to keep her in the Terminal, and Air Canada Staff were likely operating on yesterday's policy.

Customs protected your daughter because once she stepped outside the terminal it would likely have gotten much worse for her and she would have had a lot of difficulty getting back into the Terminal proper.

BTW Air Canada is not that bad compared to many airlines I fly on. It is not Cathay, Singapore or Air New Zealand but it is in the upper tier of airlines and lacks the snotty arrogance of Swiss Air and Lufthansa.

Economy is still Economy whatever airline one flies.

In economy you are just a seat number and a baggage claim chit.

It is too bad she had to fly at this time and then getting dumped into a plane full of people leaving Florida - not the best options for her.
    HatesSnow, ggrant and PFD023 like this.
  11. filterx

filterx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ya sorry to hear about this and I'm over the whole thing cus who the fuzk is going to tell the world its over and we can all go back to being relatively normal.

I can't imagine what it would be like being stuck in say China, India, South America but Hawaii wouldn't be to bad if they didn't kick you out.
  12. DHC-2

DHC-2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry for your daughter's troubles, at such a stressful time.
    I have nothing positive to say about the airline which bears our country's name. It shouldn't. It should be called the Baglosinggovernmentmoneywastingdontgiveafuck Airline.
    Customer service has never been their focus, so I can only imagine what your daughter faced given what's happening right now.
    I hope she gets home safely.
    pvwheeler likes this.
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    If in the US and wanting to go to Germany, why come to Canada?

I would probably question her planning and itenerary, more than an Air Canada employee. Expecting smooth movement around several countries right now, one won't be happy.

I limited my movement to the liquor store and back.
    HatesSnow, Cal, Lycan1 and 1 other person like this.
  14. GP640

GP640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Surly Airlines. I've had nothing but bad experiences with them.
    Funny enough, my cousin's ex worked as a flight attendant for them and got paid less after 10 years
    with Air Canada than when she started.
  15. Sandy346

Sandy346 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You have to remember the Air Canada moto " we're not happy, until you are unhappy"
    Night_Wolf, nocity4me and shuswap1 like this.
  16. Cowtowner

Cowtowner Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    How did a US citizen get over Canada’s border into Toronto? I thought it was closed?
  17. Bill 310

Bill 310 Poser Emeritus Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    United flight connection to FRA via Toronto.

It is likely that the people at United didn't catch it . It would just appear as a code share flight to them.
  18. JethroDog

JethroDog dogs bark

Oddometer:
    The only Frankfurt flights out of North America right now are out of Newark and Toronto. United in Denver knew what they were doing when they allowed her to board for Toronto as they have a dedicated flight to Frankfurt (that was recently grounded). There were plenty other Americans going on to Frankfurt, so that wasn’t the problem. Just bad luck. United is taking care of getting her back to Denver and we will try this again when things calm down. United said that they would take care of it. Like my wife says, “she isn’t stranded in Venezuela”. My daughter is going to college in Denver and has a place to stay, so no problem there. Right now, all the flights out are full with foreigners trying to get home. Still, my daughter doesn’t appreciate my stories of how crazy international travel was 40 years ago.
    Millwright98 and Cal like this.
  19. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer

Oddometer:
    I live under the busiest air traffic corridor in the world. There are next to zero contrails in the sky present time. When I'm looking anyways.
    Millwright98 likes this.
  20. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer: