Hello from Taiwan

Discussion in 'Asia' started by SlowRain, Mar 6, 2012.

1. SlowRain

SlowRain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there. I'm a Canadian expatriate living in Taiwan. I've been here for 9 years now and I'm enjoying it a lot.

My wife and I enjoy taking motorcycle rides through the mountains in Taiwan. We currently ride a 200cc, made-in-Taiwan Hartford HD-200S. It's okay but has its issues, particularly on longer rides. I'm in the process of researching our next motorcycle, so that's how I stumbled across this discussion forum. That purchase won't be made this year, so I have some time to research my options and familiarize myself with everything. And, in case anyone is curious, Taiwan--like many Asian countries--has a HUGE import tax on all vehicles, making a Kawasaki Versys about 418,000TWD, a Suzuki V-Strom 650 428,000TWD, and a Kawasaki Vulcan 900 438,000TWD (I'll let you convert those into your respective currencies just for added shock value).

Other than that, my hobbies are books, movies, coffee (roasting, making espresso), and straight razors.
  2. Josh69

Josh69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

I've taken 2 x holidays in TW and really like it.... rented a car both times and I've driven all around the island. I could do with another visit... actually I really like the TW ice deserts. Should have got an expatriate Taiwanese girlfriend while I was living in Beijing for the complete TW experience, ha ha ha.

If you buy a made in P.R. China moto, does that make it any cheaper than a western/Japanese brand? Have a look at www.mychinamoto.com if you want to check out mainland bikes. With bike prices the way you say in TW, maybe it's an idea to test drive the likely candidates next time you are back in Canada, if they are not available direct from a dealer in TW.... that would suck buying a bike w/o test riding it at TW prices then realising you don't like it for some reason.

Josh
  3. Vultan

Vultan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you in Taipei? I just returned to Seattle from a seven week stay in Taipei. I've been riding a SYM 150 scooter since 2008, but would love to have a bigger bike one day. The mountain roads in Taiwan are amazing!
  4. ceebaileys

ceebaileys Shield Manufacturer

Oddometer:
    Welcome from sunny Southern California :beer
  5. TVtommy

TVtommy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I lived for for three years from 87' til 90'. Back then, they didn't allow anything larger then 250cc on the island (but some got through).

Has that law since changed?
  6. moroni

moroni Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had been changed from 2002. But not good enough!!
  7. moroni

moroni Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As you said that there are a huge import tax on all of them. Why don't you try 2nd hand one.
    Kawasaki Versys 650 10' just need 348,000 ---09' as 298,000 price still can "talk".
  8. dirt donkey

dirt donkey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Try shipping the bike in pieces. Motor taken apart wheels separate, frame, etc. or just get an old used bike which might Make it less? DR 400 or a WR250X ?