Hello Great White North

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by HackyMoto, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Promises, promises. :ddog That ain't no keyboard in front of you. :nono

My popcorn's getting stale. :lurk :puke2

:lol3 :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
    Patiently waiting for the continuation. :snore
  2. HackyMoto

HackyMoto TEAM USA GS TROPHY 2012

Oddometer:
    Talkeetna Range looking west at Denali (The Great One) :D
  3. HackyMoto

Oddometer:
    Ok I’m back :wave
    Today was maintenance day getting ready for the ride back to the barn. No riding today. Well I guess I rode a couple hundred feet.
    A lazy day.
    Good morning Mason
    [​IMG]

Looken over the bike seems the ball joint came loose from all the
    (Thrashing) uhh off road Adventure riding IV been doing.
    [​IMG]

And a valve adjustment. Boy thoughs valves were loose, must not have been done in 50,000 miles or so.
    Top-up the oil I’m good-to-go.
    [​IMG]

With that taken care of we head into town for breakfast, may I take you to your seat sir :eek1
    [​IMG]

Humm a Denver Omelet $5.95 pretty reasonable.
    [​IMG]

Looks good but needs alittle doctoring up.
    [​IMG]

Humm add some sauce still alittle blank.
    [​IMG]

Add some garnish, that’s it EAT ME :dg
    [​IMG]

Walk out breakfast a little
    [​IMG]

Rexall Drugs don’t forget your Bee Sting Drugs.
    [​IMG]

Back at the pad MotoMamma, Mom caching some rays while I pack the bike. [​IMG]

Why’ll I was fiddling a round with the bike I hear a BeeMeerr coming up the road that distinctive sound of the boxer engine. I say to my self, Self what the hell is this guy doing over here? Is he an AdvRider tracking me down?
    He comes up by the house and starts slowing down but he passed by hummm ok. A couple of minutes go by and I jump on the bike and track him down.
    I find him a few doors up It seems his parents just bout a house over here and he came over to visit them, I bust-up there little get together and talked with them a bit.
    He just bought this GS used and I ask if he’s an AdvRider he says no but he knows of the site. So I sez so you’re a lurker than. Yes I am YFF!
    :doh

[​IMG]

We pack up Mason to go see Uncle Jack, and Aunt Dolores :wave
    [​IMG]

And to store for some supply’s for the road.
    A painting on the wall in the grocery store. Was the Garden of Eden located in Nevada?
    [​IMG]

Blood pressure test.#1 Hypertension? Humm :twitch
    [​IMG]

4. MotoMamma

MotoMamma Living Life

Oddometer:
    More please!

:lurk :lurk :lurk
  5. vegasphotog

vegasphotog Las Vegas Cheechako

Oddometer:
  6. Alcan Rider

Alcan Rider Frozen Fossil Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, at last. :D

:lurk :lurk :lurk :lurk :lurk :lurk :lurk
  7. TRACTOR RIDER

TRACTOR RIDER No Rules Gruver

Oddometer:
  8. MotoMamma

MotoMamma Living Life

Oddometer:
    :lurk :lurk

I am definetly posting the next ride report and in a timely manner!:lol3
  9. MotoMamma

MotoMamma Living Life

Oddometer:
    :ddog :cob I am so tired of waiting for the rest of the ride report.....
  10. HackyMoto

Oddometer:
    I bess get this done before riding season starts or I’ll never finish this report.

Good Morning!
    <EMBED height=389 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=430 src="" wmode="transparent" player.swf?file="http://vid19.photobucket.com/albums/b190/Hackymoto/gooddaysunshine.flv" vid19.photobucket.com http:></EMBED>

The day has come to say my bye byes. And am off down the highways and byways of life.
    [​IMG]

On my mission to map somemore back roads I take this one. This road I seen from the strip mining place a couple days ago it parallels Hyw. 95a that’s to the left about 4 miles, looks like this mite have been the main Hwy. Before 95a. This goes on for 5 miles. Then turns into a dirt trail that follows the R/R tracks for a bit.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

It gos through a nice valley towards Weeks.
    A Ranch
    [​IMG]

After the ranch the trail turns into a nice one lane hard pack sweeping corners tight twisting flat tracking motorcycling bliss a real nice morning rip I took a video going though this part but it didn’t turn out. I guess it never happened then. And back to Hwy. 95a.
    [​IMG]

And close the gate behind you.
    [​IMG]

I go north to Hwy. 50 then east to Dayton .Morning coffee break in Sutro just before Dayton. Kickin back looking at the valley I came down a few days earlier when I met the airplane guys.
    [​IMG]

And the way I see it #84 :killen
    [​IMG]

Into Dayton. Notice the dirt trail to the right :evil
    [​IMG]

This structure is just after the sign about ¼ mi .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This pic. was taken from the dirt trail above Rock Point Mill and Hwy.50& Dayton valley looking south.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On my quest for more dirt I keep following the dirt trail its called Dayton Toll Rd. on the gps? It’s no road!
    It dumps me off at Hwy. 341 that winds and twist up into the hills toward Virginia City one bitchen bag dragin road.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welcome to Virginia City.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn’t take many pics. here as Iv toured this place before I blast by.
    [​IMG]

About 1.5 miles out of V.city on my quest for more dirt I make a right turn off 341 to Lousetown road it winds though some neighborhoods and I end up at this.
    [​IMG]

And the X.M. played
    [​IMG]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZeTlMpnfHk

It wind though this valley I believe is the Virginia Range next to this dry creek bed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Going along I break out into the open.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming down the range I take a break at a clearing the weather was starting to come up behind me checking the Satellite Mosaic I can see weather coming from the southwest.
    [​IMG]

Looking back from I just came from and confirming what the satellite shows technology at work this shit works.
    [​IMG]

A wild horsy
    [​IMG]

And as soon as I seen the horsy the XM played Freedom Rider see the horsy in the background
    [​IMG]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOPR_RewI4o

A old structure
    [​IMG]

Coming out of the range can you guess where this trial it ends up
    [​IMG]

Right at the Mustang Ranch. hum a direct trail from Virginia City right to the mustang ranch makes one wonder.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p48RzSzyMzk

From here I take Hwy. 80 and 427 to Wadsworth. Looking at the Weather Satellite you can see lighting it really does work, there was some serious thunder and lighting coming from that cloud, I’d out run the storm a little ways and stop for the pics. and could feel the down drafts hit me about a minute after iv stopped .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

North on 447 to 446 to Pyramid Lake
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From there north up Hwy. 445 the road turns to dirt at the north end of the lake some rock formations long the way
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turning off 445 south on fish springs Rd to Flannigan cutoff to Flannigan open planes dirt road just rocken
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back on to 445 which turns to Wendel Rd according to the gps. A few miles down the road I come across the Sierra Ordinance Depot if you look close you can see some of the bunkers on the side of the hill, riding a round the place looking for a hole in the fence but no such luck I move on. Probley didn’t need to be in there anyways.
    [​IMG]

A little father down the road passed as I pass Wendel and I see these geothermal wells that feed into that building.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxM5cNVEpwI

The road hooks up with Hwy. 395 I head west toward Susanville. I see that theirs a county road into that parallels 395 into Susanville Cr-a27 I take it. This sign is at the city limits?
    [​IMG]

Didn’t spend much time in Susanville gas and food a painting at the Ford dealer.
    [​IMG]

Went up and down the streets looking for the Perfect food joint and ended up at the Teriyaki House at the corner of Hwy. 39 & 139 Japanese named restaurant run by Koreans :dunno that wasn't perfect. I was expecting japanese not Korean Style Japanese :bluduh
    [​IMG]

Leaving Susanville I take 139 to Adin a nice ride though the woods it was getting dark so no pics. though this area, fueled up at Adin then up 139 to find a camp spot. :ostrich
  11. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    Hacky, Did you go inside the Ranch and have a look around?:eek1

TR:huh
  12. HackyMoto

Oddometer:

:nah :nono :nah

13. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    :lol3 :waysad

14. MotoMamma

MotoMamma Living Life

Oddometer:
    :205 :topes

QUOTE=HackyMoto]

:nah :nono :nah

[/QUOTE]
  15. TRACTOR RIDER

Oddometer:
    [/quote]

:lol3

16. akrider

akrider mild adventurer

Oddometer:
    So you made it to susanville. The campground there has been a stop of mine when in that area. Cute little town on the way to nowhere.
  17. HackyMoto

Oddometer:

Holyshit i got :205 ed how am i going to get out of this one :jive

18. HackyMoto

Oddometer:
    Actually 75miles passed Susanville, at this place up Hwy. 139 10 miles out of Adin.

[​IMG]

My camp site the next morning a nice area. Lower Rush Creek.
    [​IMG]

Nice crisp morning ride up 139.

[​IMG]

A little fog up in the hills.

[​IMG]

Some photo ops.
    Cows in the Morning Mist.

[​IMG]

Cows and Beeee Meeer in the Morning Mist

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the cows I get into the town of Canby
    I make a feel circles a round town to check it out
    Needing to continue on 139 and get my dirt FIX for the day, I look at the GPS and see there a road that parallels 139 named Loveness weaving my way through Canby I come across what seems to be a bicycle grave yard there must be thousands of them hard to see in this pic. The yard was just littered with them.

[​IMG]

This was a different place.
    Hay Ricky looks like a gold mine.

[​IMG]

Not much mud but it's coming-up...

BARB... here’s what you’ve been waiting for.

Heading down the road (trail) so I thought
    I can see the Hwy. in the distance by the old barn.
    [​IMG]

I also notice the barbed wire fence is wrapped on the wrong side? Looking at the gps it shows I’m on Loveness:confused The roads packed down pretty good?
    Shit it winds up being a sucker road it goes into a big Fing hay field :bluduh
    [​IMG]

And it happened DOWN... W.T.F. it wasn’t that muddy.

[​IMG]

I gather my self backup again access the damage, broken left mirror, turn sig., ft. upper fender, bent light bracket f@#! That sucked

Then a couple hundred feet more…. DOWN… W.T.F. thats just SAD

[​IMG]

I’ve ridden in worse stuff then this before. And I couldn’t figure out why I was going down. After gathering my self up again I notice the Ft. wheel is packed with mud, I try to turn the wheel but it won’t turn. It seems the mud has got packed up under the fender and and locked the tire up. I try to get the mud from under the fender but it won’t come out the stuff is set-up like concrete :becca At this point Am sweating my ass off from being in my cold weather gear, am :pissed and the morning sun is starting to blaze down on me :knary. Trying to figure out what to do I had a brain fade (fart) I couldn’t put it up on the jiffy stand because of the mud to pull the ft. wheel off, so I let all the air out of it. It seems the tire deforms as it passes the mud to let it turn.

After that 2 hour ordeal I make it back to Hwy.139 sweaty and tired I ride up the road a bit to cool down and to see if the mud would come out from under the fender from the tire rubbing on it, no deal :nah I come upon a pull-out I believe is Lookout Hackmore at least that’s what the gps seizes.
    Looking at ft. tire you can see where the mud is rubbing on the tire.

[​IMG]

I pull the wheel off and start chipping away F@#! That stuff is like concrete!

[​IMG]

Thought of the day don’t always trust the gps. Because after you push the agree button your on your own :deal :lol3
    [​IMG]

Ok after that ordeal I have a nice uneventful ride up to the Lava Beds National Monument
    [​IMG]

The road in is pretty tore-up frost heaves, broken up pavement. Pic. Op.

[​IMG]

C.C.R. up around the bend :dunno

[​IMG]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=BnRsaHXHznQ&feature=related

And again there’s is nobody around the whole park I’ve got it All to myself, pretty nice I can ride right up to stuff and not have to deal with people.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Devils play ground lava field.

[​IMG]

Leaving the park I take Hill drive cross Hwy. 161 to Malone hook up with Hwy.39 and into Klamath falls for lunch. Not knowing where to go for some eats I turn to the trusty ol gps and search for restaurants with in 1 mile from my location I chose this place Winkies at the corner of Delaware Ave& Altamont Dr.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Real nice down home cooking :dg

[​IMG]

The Owner Phyllis of 17 years and going strong.
    [​IMG]
    Tell her the oriental guy that was taking all the pic. In her place for evidence, sent you.

Leaving K. Falls I hook up with Hwy.140 to Hwy.66 get your kicks on 66 is right, got turned on to this road from (advrider) tipa. Starts off a little boring from the K.Falls side until you get up here.
    [​IMG]

Then it’s down hill hair pin tuning bag dragin off camber big cliff twistys of 50 miles of M/C Bliss :ricky
    [​IMG]

From 66 into Ashland up 99 to Medford for a little break.
    [​IMG]

From Medford as much as I hate the slab I hit it up to Corvallis, the slab was with an incident, flying along with traffic these big slabs of aluminum truck siding comes shooting out from under a vehicle nothing to do but run right over the top of it,remember stand on pegs hit it strait and launch I don’t know how much air I got but it was enough to get a thumbs up from the driver behide me :thumb The exact reason why I hate the slab.
    From Corvallis its U.S. 20 into Newport then up to Lincoln City and to a buddies house that he remodeling.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pull the bike in for some light repairs
    [​IMG]

Checking out his H/D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isn’t it a pity
    [​IMG]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=8aoyWoO28Fc&feature=related

With repairs taking care of its time to relax
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Talk about small world, He started playing & singing and I said I know you. His friend that he was working for, I met in Anchorage about 30 years ago and haven’t seen him sends. :pope [​IMG]

:snore :cob :snore
  19. ktmbmw

ktmbmw Not ridden in a while... I shall return.

Oddometer:
    Great ride report! It is wierd seeing the Dayton and Virginia City shots since that is my 'backyard'; I feel like a bad host not rolling out the carpet for you.
    Next time you are in the area, drop me a line.
  20. HackyMoto

Oddometer:
    The next morning my buddy sees me out of Lincoln city and we take the hoods, IV been up and down the main Hwy. many of times but never wandered back in the naborhoods before. We find a place to get on the beach Members only blaa blaa blaa.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Safety First.
    [​IMG]

Au the beach.
    <embed width="430" height="389" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="https://s3.amazonaws.com/advrider-photobucket-images/images/v/vid19.photobucket.com_albums_b190_Hackymoto_MVI_1156-1.flv"></embed>

A nice place the Coronado Shores beach club has. Sunrise at the club.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

His ride.
    [​IMG]

Welcome to Lincoln City through the hood.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped at the Sea Horse Inn anther place to get on the beach.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo op we are not men we are Devo.
    [​IMG]

Stopped at roads end state rec. site B.S. for a bit said are bye bye’s.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I’m off up 101 though Tillamook.
    [​IMG]

After Tillamook.
    I hit Hwy.53 up to Sunset Hwy. (26) east bound yes it's a lovely road, around Jewell junction I head up fishhawk falls Hwy. 103 to Hwy. 202 to Birkenfeld and north into the woods up to U.S. 30 at Colvin.
    [​IMG]

Called a friend I have not seen in sometime he side he was working in Knappa moving junk cars I meet him on the side of the road...Lookin a little ruff dude. Talked about old times for a bit then I was off to the Column.
    [​IMG]

Pulling into the Column
    [​IMG]

I see a 1200gs I look around for the rider I find him setting on a bench on the side of the hill... It’s Jim of no fixed address. http://4nfa.blogspot.com/
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BS for awhile and enjoying the view. Some photo opps
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stopped at the Custard King for some.
    [​IMG]

Then off across the Astoria Bridge.
    [​IMG]

Then of course the beach is calling me.
    [​IMG]

I can’t get this close to the beach with out ridding on it. Look am ridding on water.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I just love the beach.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Off to Seattle, to visit some more friends, though the expressway tunnel.
    [​IMG]

After visiting friends I needed to take a boat ride, I was going to take Mukilteo to Whidbey but decided on Edmonds to Kingston instead and that’s were I meet (AdvRider) matteeanne waiting for the ferry.
    [​IMG]

We B.S. for a bit then he takes my camera for some poser shots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boarding
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Leaving Edmonds.
    [​IMG]

On the ferry we chat some more he suggested I go up to Hurricane ridge in Port Angeles so off I go.
    [​IMG]

Was nice meeting you matteeanne. I think I'll just call you Bird Man. IF anybody out there needs a High-End Bird House Bird-Man the man! http://home.earthlink.net/~matteeanne/.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

:cob :snore