Hells Angels

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by Frank Sosa, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Rapid_Roy

Rapid_Roy Rachael's Dad Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, but when you encounter one in a gang, there is not much you can do.
    :lol3
  2. HammerMacGreed

HammerMacGreed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just don't mess with the Laffing Devils... those guys are hardcore :lol3
  3. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is another thing that is true of both of them. The honest ones enable the crooks to go about their business, and they will actively protect them too.

Rod
  4. HammerMacGreed

HammerMacGreed Long timer

Oddometer:

See, now here I was just trying to be funny and you gotta bring up a reasonable argument and shit :nono
  5. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    About 25 years ago a couple friends stopped into Travelers rest, a biker bar near Yough lake in SW Pa to get some beer.
    One of the bikers took a shine to one of my friends...hitting on him! He told the guy, "hey, I'm not into that kinda thing but you see that guy over there? He is!"
    Then he went back out to the van and waited for him to buy the beer and come back out.

:rofl
  6. Future ten

Future ten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this 1% story time ? Ok my turn, my dad was a prison guard in MA and had some questionable riding buddy's back in the day and there was always a sporty or two in the garage that were "off limits" we rode everything dad had.
    Long story short, when ya give an HA his bike back after a 5 or so year stint in Walpole, ya got a friend for life. Their borne compound on the cape is across the street from moms house, they sent a color guard of sorts to my brothers funeral and they sat with my mother. True story, good peoPle that have their own idea of how things should be done that's all.
  7. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Brownie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Since I've dealt with both good and bad and I agree. However me personally, I'd take the random cop over the random HA. But that's just me. :deal
  8. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!!

Oddometer:
    Random cops have caused me way more grief over the last 40 years than random bikers. :1drink
  9. ThatGuy

Oddometer:
    HAs aren't simply "random" riders and there job isn't to enforce laws but rather break them.
  10. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't believe any one would seriously think there was any comparison between a LEO and 1%'er. :eek1

LEO's have given me a few tickets over the years. Even hauled me to the hoosegow a time or two - but I had it coming in every case, except one. I have nothing but respect for them, they earn it every day.

I avoid the 1%'ers if at all possible.
  11. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

Because a lot of people around here seem to have a knack for finding the most asshole cops on Earth. :lol3
  12. ThatGuy

Oddometer:
    I read Bargers book which was filled conflicts. I loved the parts where he says the HAs were just some guys who liked the open road, etc. the go on to talk about the whores and drug running. Since a priest is a nice guy i'll overlook the molestations. :rofl
  13. Rapid_Roy

Rapid_Roy Rachael's Dad Supporter

Oddometer:
    This guy was probably just like that too.

Seems reasonable. All you have to do is make sure all of the women you used to date do not decide to go out with one of "those guys" in a OMG at any point in their lives, and you won't have any issues, ever. Maybe.
    :rofl

In general, I agree with Hammer, for the most part, most probably will never have a bad encounter, but that doesn't mean they never happen. I also enjoy the fact that at HD parties most people mind their own business, and they are rowdy and a lot of fun. At BMW rally, violence rarely happens, but you do have to tolerate type A schmucks who think they are important. They just threaten to lawyer up, and I can live with that.
    :lol3
  14. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You would never see biker gangs on parade in Canada. We had a brutal biker war here that lasted from the late nineties to the early 2000's with over 200 murders of bikers as well as a few innocent bystanders and people working in law enforcement/prison system. Currently there are only something like 450 Hell's Angels left in this country and 40% of them are incarcerated, many for life. It brought about changes to the law that allow the police to arrest someone on suspicion because they are wearing gang colors. They can hold them up to i think, 72 hours without charging them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_Biker_war
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Boucher
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2006/04/11/biker-war-sher.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yves_Trudeau_(biker)
  15. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    Yep we just don't want to say. All I am gonna say is that my bro lived the life. Went missing 15 years ago in Quebec.:eek1

The rest well, better left unsaid.:evil

RIP to all their victims!
  16. Reddog

Reddog Doug@sea level...

Oddometer:
    They have held rallies here now twice. Both times with SIGNIFICANT extra police presence (read: extra costs to the county). No real incidents of mention. They have played softball with a local team both times, bought ice cream for everybody in the stands at least once. I mounted a couple tires for them and was treated with respect, as I treated them.
    All that said, the extra police presence was a PIA! (But possibly well worth it since nothing happened). One street was blocked off for nearly a week so they could go to and from their hotel/compound to their event tents. To be fair, I don't think the City would do that for the Rotary 4th of July celebration. I didn't ride that weekend because I didn't want to get caught behind 30 HD's going 50 mph over the pass and the story I got was if you pass them, pass them all, don't break their ranks. If I'm wrong, someone please chime in...
    So my experience was not all together bad, but they did get some special treatment, maybe to help keep the peace, but special none the less. The community did not profit from the event and in reality, probably suffered from loss of "regular" visitors once the word was out that they were here. They pretty much ate, parties and stayed at one facility.
    I guess I figure the image comes about for some reason, maybe less deserved these days than years ago, but still worthy of consideration and a little concern. I'm just not much on intimidation..ride and let ride so to speak.
    FWIW,
    D@*K'
  17. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    We were just finishing up our Triumph rally there either last year or the year before when their advance team was showing up at the Super 8. Buncha white haired gents in trailers; not a bike in sight!
  18. waveydavey

waveydavey happy times!!

Oddometer:
    I have had more run-ins with cops than with 1%ers over the years, which is probably true for most of us. My run-ins with cops were, for the most part, unpleasant in some way. My very rare run-ins with 1%ers have been, for the most part, pleasant. I have some misgivings about 1%ers because of the things that the cops tell me. I spend much more time trying to avoid cops than 1%ers. that's all.
  19. Hondaboy

Hondaboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The H.A. or 81 or whatever other things they are called will be having some sort of "rally" before Sturgis trailer week starts. The town is getting themselves all worked up about it:eek1. We aren't too bothered, we only sell Honda, Yamaha, Beta, Kymco and Ural. Unless any of them want a quick trike conversion, we are good.
  20. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    The cops have the 1% outnumbered. Plus the 1% do not want to interact with you unless you are a potential customer (hookers or drugs). OTOH, the cops want to (or are ordered to) shake you down for revenue (my bad). So naturally your cop interactions are worse.

Rod