Helmet / bike camera (merged) mega threadfest...

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by AJ2, May 14, 2002.

1. Alloveroz

Alloveroz RaceRecall

Oddometer:
    Here's mine...waterproof to 10 metes without the case and a wifi option that takes up no extra space.
    http://www.iontheaction.com.au/

One easy slide switch turns the camera recording on and off with no power-up needed.

[​IMG]
    skypeace likes this.
  2. Alloveroz

Alloveroz RaceRecall

Oddometer:
    Sound quality is similar to the GoPro as the mic is still housed inside the plastic case.

Also, read the fine print on the battery life, that is with both batteries combined. On my testing so far, it's closer to one hour one battery, even less if you're using wifi. I drove it to work with the wifi steaming to my iPad for about 20 minutes and the battery indicated on 1/4 left!
  3. Alloveroz

Alloveroz RaceRecall

Oddometer:
    Here's an update on some testing I did today. Simply drove to work on a sunny spring day, with it suction mounted to the windscreen and by the time I got there, it had fogged up so badly, you could barely see anything. I think this is a function of having to open and close the camera to turn on and off all the time. This allows moisture inside and then the heat from the camera drives the moisture to the coolest part, which is of course, the lens! Looking at the case, it would be difficult to fit even the GoPro antifog bits inside. They only have limited number of uses in any case and the constant opening will soon negate them anyway.
  4. draven

draven Here Today

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I've been turning mine off and on inside the waterproof case without a problem. To get it out of the case when I want to shoot by hand I just give it a little tap on the back and it pops out enough to grab it.

Overall I've been really impressed with the camera. Underwater videos have been a lot better than I imagined. The software I'm not so keen on. It seems like it takes forever to stream the video to my phone although the remote control via phone is really good. I've only taken it on one long ride on the bike but it performed like a champ, it did get a little foggy on one day when I left it on for over an hour but it was really cold out too. I might try just rubber banding it in the housing when it's not really raining.
  5. gravityisnotmyfriend

gravityisnotmyfriend Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sony Vegas. I'm running 7.0, but I think it's up to 10 or 11 by now.

It's a memory hog and is far from user friendly - but it will do anything. I've done 5 angles in a single view - I think it'll do 10. But, 2 (PiP) is cake.
  6. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    really good footage. Sure it has been sweetened by a pro editor.. but still nice.

7. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
    After seeing the first hand reports with the Sony, it is not for me.

Here is what I used in my race, any why.

Contour GPS on helmet. It has the best features and form factor for this.
    - At the start of the ride, I frame the shot and confirm settings with my Android phone via blutooth.
    - While on the ride I can quickly aim and confirm power is on with the lasers and adjust with the pivoting head.

GoPro on chest harness. GoPro has the best form factor for this position.
    - Wide lens is perfect for this view. Captures bars of bike, roadbook, forward view.
    - Flat shape and harness plate feels good and safe on chest.
    - Versions 1& 2 horrid menu and blinking light can be easily seen with the chest mount. Do not need a buddy to confirm.
    - Version 3 looks very promising.
  8. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
  9. Storm Shadow

Storm Shadow Thread Ninja

Oddometer:
    im still waiting for my atc9000 to arrive but im thinking of buying the gps module for it, but i recon that will chew batteries, but i have ordered 5 batteries for it, for quick swapping over.

anybody used the gps?
  10. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
  11. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver

Oddometer:
    :huh

based on feature set alone, I'd say the JVC has missed the mark a bit.. the only feature advantage that I can see over the Sony, is the waterproof/shockproof case.. the Sony has image stabilization (which is a huge improvement for helmet and bike mounted video), 4x slow motion and even the high end Sony version is $100 cheaper ($150 less then JVC if you don't want/need wifi).. the JVC seems to be directed at taking on the GoPRO 2, not the Sony or even the GoPRO 3.. now if they dropped the price by $100, then it would be of interest, but it would really depend on image and sound quality, which trump any and all features IMO

but I personally think image stabilization is just too good a feature to pass up.
  12. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    Just FYI, the specs listed in the link include "Digital Image Stabilizer (DIS)" which might be similar to Sony's stabilization. All the Mfg's seem to call stabilization by different names. In the DSLR world, Nikon's is "VR" and Canon's is "IS." Just something to check if that is a feature you're interested in. I like the fact that it has a built in screen so you don't have to f**k with a smart phone to frame your shot and get the mount set right. The last thing I want to do is suck the minimal life out of my Droid battery, when that might be the thing I need to use to call for help or a tow. :freaky

BTW, just checked B&H Photo, they list the JVC "in stock" for $299.
  13. Storm Shadow

Oddometer:
    ell my atc9k arrived today, it arrived in a giant box, concerned i opened it to find the tiny atc9k in the bottom surrounded by bags of air.

it wasnt ment to come with a battery and its like a blister packet, no battery in it, but wait, whats that poped out into the corner, the battery, yay, screw u ups postage.

set it up with the gps module, battery, etc, cant wait to use it. sees pretty good so far,

although the installation cd is concerning, all that was on it was an auto run file to load up the download site on its website. why did they bother.

http://youtu.be/9OodS9HcNIY

a small test with ym new atc9000, need to work on mounting points, it was a bit loose when i strapped it down on the pannier.
  14. Storm Shadow

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

trying to work out this software, it records it in a MOV file, not avi, like the atc3000, so its a bit fiddly to edit.

the gps records it into a file, it doesnt display it on the actual video, although will if you watch it via a hdmi cable from the unit,

as to the g accelerometer,

the software that comes with ti, will ply the video, a round gforce ball and a google map with the gps, but it doesnt export the file, or anything else, just watch it

hard to edit mov files, silly things, but heres an audioless hd version
    http://youtu.be/F236byHqvLc.
  15. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
  16. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
  17. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
  18. darkstarmoto

darkstarmoto Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer:
    Bit the bullet and put a Drift HD Ghost on pre-order. The features sound really good and they are offering $100 in accessories during pre-order time...should ship on the 19th.
  19. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    See what happens when you hit a big puddle and you don't have the GoPro in it's waterproof case. Skip to 6:36 if you don't want to watch the whole clip. Also had some problems with fogging on the other GoPro.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IzB8emrl_FY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  20. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    Keep us posted, bro. The Drift HD hits a lot of the features on my list, especially the built in screen. WiFi schmi fi, I don't really want to have to f**k with a smart (SLOW) cell phone to frame my shots. And a remote. I have a VIO POV and love having the screen AND a remote. But it has the camera head with a cable to the DVR unit so ya got a cord running down the back of the helmet, then have to stick the DVR unit in your pocket or something. I'm gonna keep that one mounted on the bike and am looking for a helmet mounted cam, to get those multiple points of view which, IMHO, are what make a video interesting. They are selling a 720p version too, for very little money, comparatively. Me likey. :clap