Helmet mirror ???

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by The Toad, Sep 21, 2011.

1. The Toad

The Toad on the go since...wait. where am I ?

Oddometer:
    On occasion I find myself wishing I had a mirror on my helmet.... standing on pegs on a rough dirt road and I cant see what if anything is coming up behind me without taking my eyes of off whats in front of me... I found bicycle helmet mirrors on ebay.. maybe these can be adapted to motorcycle helmets ??

anyone done this ??
  2. The Other JC

The Other JC Lurking since 2004..

Oddometer:
    Great idea!, I stumbled across this site http://www.bugeyes.com/ or the helmet with built in rear view http://www.rearview-helmet.co.uk/.

When riding standing long distance, I turn up one of the rear view mirrors on the GS so I can see rearwards while standing up. I am considering putting a small fisheye mirror on as well to aid.
  3. SantaRosa

SantaRosa I'd rather be lost Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered a pair of the bug eyes. Trying to find a place to purchase the rearview-helmet in the US. Thanks JC for the links. I'll let you know how the bug eyes turn out and if I find a place to get a rearview here in the states.
  4. The Toad

The Toad on the go since...wait. where am I ?

Oddometer:

Thanks for the link. Not sure I like the idea of an adhesive mount... but the suction cup thing I was imagining probably wouldnt hold up well.

Ordered one anyway and gonna give it a try.
  5. SantaRosa

Oddometer:
    A major Helmet company should have produced something like a rear view long ago. Another Inmate speculated that the future rear view Helmet would use electronics like a rear view camera very popular in cars and trucks now. Does seem like low tech mirrors would work well enough if not better since you don't have to power them. I would think this thread would gain a lot of attention but maybe it's few of us who are hind site challenged.
  6. Reryder

Reryder Onward through the fog...

Oddometer:
    They did. Back in the 70s you could buy a clip-on shade visor/peak. for your 3/4 face helmet and there was a tiny 1" x 1/2" mirror sticking down from the two front corners of the peak. they were real popular with dirt riders, then disappeared.
  7. SgtDuster

SgtDuster Long timer

Oddometer:
    McQueen's style! :evil

Vizor-Vu

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Windfall likes this.
  8. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Old thread but I'll post this anyway. Maybe someone is interested. I just made a bicycle type mirror for my DS helmet. Years ago I made them for our old full face dirt bike helmets but we got tired of rain and hail hitting our faces so we switched to street helmets and the mirror doesn't fit a street helmet. They worked great because they are completely adjustable unlike the old plastic visor mirrors. And you can see what's behind you while standing. I made these for all my riding buddies after they saw mine. Here's an old pic of one on the old dirt bike helmet..... Pretty simple, just some bent sheet aluminum, some Velcro and a little plastic mirror. What's not obvious is with a slight move of your head you get a wide view of what's behind you in almost all directions. You adapt to it very quickly. If anybody's interested, I'll do some DIY pictures.

[​IMG]
    Dyn Blin likes this.
  9. dennism

dennism dennism

Oddometer:
    The Reevu helmets are available from Revzilla, they say, at $399. Looks like they may be available elsewhere too.
  10. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    I saw that, but they don't seem to have a DS type helmet and then there's that $399 thing. I think it cost me less than 10 bucks to make the little Velcro stick on bike type mirror. There's an extra bonus... They work so good you can get rid of your big expensive handle bar mirrors and just stick some cheap little mirror on there to be legal.
  11. toy4fun

toy4fun GET out of the way

Oddometer:
    You mount a GO PRO looking backwards, Blue tooth it to any device with a screen in front of you and if you have HUD even better!
  12. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    That sounds like the mega buck way to get around my $10, old school, simple mirror. Besides I'm to old and crash too much for all that high tech stuff. :gerg :muutt

Here's the new one...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    SantaRosa likes this.
  13. Rgconner

Rgconner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Visit a bicycling shop that carries serious road bikes. There are several models to choose from.
  14. K1W1

K1W1 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reevu Helmets. I have had one for two years and it works great. Unfortunately they don't make an ADV version so I use my Hornet for that stuff.

The helmet has a little prism that sits just below the brow line of the helmet and acts like the internal rear vision mirror in a car

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it has a series of internal reflectors and then views the world through the rear panel of the helmet. Even in rain like the shot below the view out the rear of the helmet is clear enough to make out the model of cars following (can't read number plates though)

[​IMG]

Overall the helmet is extremely well constructed and very comfortable to use.
  15. SantaRosa

Oddometer:
    Looks simple and not over done. I take it you made the bracket? Looks brilliant!
    I would like to do that with my DS helmet, tell us how or if you plan on making them to sell count me in to buy one. I also have a Reevu but if I had something. simpler and cheaper I would go that way. Well done 2old2Bbold, Cheers!
  16. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    It is simple. Funny how most of the stuff that works good IS simple. It's not obvious but the mirror can be adjusted up/down with a small tweak/bend (with one hand while riding) and left/right on the Velcro. I sold a few in the old days but in todays word I don't need the headaches and liability. I'll post a few pics a little later.
  17. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Tools and supplies...
    .025 aluminum sheet from Lowes
    small sheet of plastic mirror
    2" and 1" Velcro from Ace Hardware
    Barge contact cement or the glue of your choice
    Tape to protect visor
    tin snips, scissors, hammer (of course), file, pliers or duck bill pliers, saw for cutting mirror,

[​IMG]

My visor doesn't have a flat surface for the Velcro so I taped it (for protection) and filled the low areas with some plastic sheet from Lowes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    SantaRosa likes this.
  18. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Next draw/cut a trial shape from paper or cardboard. The goal is to get all the purchase you can from the Velcro and position the mirror just outside the left edge (actually it doesn't need to be completely outside the edge) and at a level that is near the top of the helmet opening. It may take a couple or tries to get it right. Then transfer that shape to the aluminum. You will notice an extra 3/16" around the edge to fold over. This will give extra strength and remove the sharp edge.

[​IMG]

Next bend the edges and hammer them flat. Here's a pick of an earlier one I made for my Shoei Hornet DS helmet. Hated that helmet, Just didn't fit my head.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Apply the Velcro to the aluminum and the visor.
    Cut the mirror and apply. I Velcro it also but it's not necessary. Never had to replace one.

Bend the aluminum as necessary. The mirror will be positioned almost perpendicular to straight ahead and in the upper left field of view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps. Cheers, Royce
  19. Smoke Eater 3

Smoke Eater 3 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Those look like wonderful levers for breaking your neck in a crash.

Just turn one mirror up so you can see behind you while standing.
    zaTTaz and rrrnnn like this.
  20. 2old2Bbold

Oddometer:
    Ok, I expected that.

It is attached with VELCRO. Pops right off. BUT.....

Disclaimer/CYA.... I don't recommend anyone do this (in fact, don't do this) and I am not responsible if you do something so incredibly stupid and dangerous as throw a leg over a motorcycle and plant your but on the seat and fall off and hurt yourself. At your own risk, YADA, YADA, YADA. :D

And try not to hit a hole/rock/dog/deer/etc while you're looking down at that mirror.
    Smoke Eater 3 and SantaRosa like this.