1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Helmet Recommendations- reduced turbulance

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by Neil123456, May 19, 2020.

1. Neil123456

Neil123456 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So after trying to reduce wind noise and turbulence I decided to switch from my expensive new Aria Renegade V to my old HJC IS-17 just for a ride. I ride a 1050 with a short screen

I was shocked!!!!! The HJC reduced wind noise and turbulence so much the difference is unbelievable.

So, my question is what helmets do you guys recommend for reduced noise and turbulence? I have searched on here and a lot of the helmet recommendations for reduced noise are quite old.

Thanks
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    Bizarre, as comparing pic of both them helmets I cant see a big reason for the differance
  3. Neil123456

Neil123456 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes I did the same, the Aria is triple the price but the HJC is just so much better. The difference is unbelievable.
  4. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still cant quite understand how my Shoei Hornet with a peak is so good?
    E-luke likes this.
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Because it quite literally varies by everything.

Bike, screen, helmet design, head shape, neckroll.....frigging ton of variables, and what works for one person may not work for the next on the same bike.
  6. Furka66

Furka66 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Arai are not the quietest helmets, but I choose their quality of construction and the interior comfort. I have Shoeis also, and the Hornet is incredibily quiet, nomatter his peak.
  7. Snozzeltoff

Snozzeltoff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recently picked up the AGV AX9, the peak on this is huge! But I don't really feel it until 75mph+ or doing shoulder checks at speed. Though I find the stock 1290SAS screen on lowest the best position for it. As soon as I put it in the highest position I just got turbulance. Next up is a screen deflector, when doing distance cruising this will get used to reduce the turbulance.
  8. soso2565

soso2565 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On my SAS 2020
    Screen up + screen deflector
    I wear a scorpion AT-950
    It's a noisy helmet to start with.
    But one thing I did figure it out is even at 120km/hrs the helmet have no turbulence when the helmet visor is up, I know it's sound funny but I did try at many speed and condition and always the same result.
  9. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Used schubert helmets for years on all sorts of bike. Not cheap but they have a reputation for being one of the quietest helmets for a reason.
  10. Neil123456

Neil123456 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am just looking into the C3 Pro, not ever considered a modular helmet (no need for one) but seems like a lot of work done to reduce noise and turbulence. Let me know if there are any other models to look at.
  11. Kmont

Kmont Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I went from the Shoei Hornet to the Arai XD4. The shoei fits the shape of my head better but the Arai has better built pads. The Arai is quieter for me.

In a Dirt Bike mag article they tested the safety of many helmets in a test they created. They could only name some helmets due to the companies not wanting their name tarnished and advertising. Shoei and Arai were tested but not named. HJC didn't have a problem using their name. HJC came out on top as the safest helmet. It's not always about how much something cost to get quality.
  12. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    AGV K5 is my favorite helmet. Very quiet and smooth at speed.

I think the majority of a helmet's quietness comes from well the neckroll fits your particular neck/head shape. The shell shape does play in to it's stability, though.
  13. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never had a modular one, always had something in the S range. I think the C helmets are only very slightly noisier.
  14. Snozzeltoff

Snozzeltoff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As said earlier I've just got the AGV AX9, but I ran a Schuberth C3 Pro for 3 years before it.
    It is a quiet helmet, especially for a modular one. I grew accustomed to the weight, only now with the AGV do I realise how much heavier it was.
    Overall it was a great helmet, you get a 5 year warranty on it too. But on hotter days I find the ventilation suffers, yes in town and slow speeds you could lift the front up but I always wanted more airflow when it got warm.
    The Schuberth E1 is essentially the C3/Pro but with a different chin flip piece with a bigger vent, but also a slightly different visor mechanism that allows the peak to be fitted. Sadly its mostly discontinued now but you can still find some new ones about.
  15. Sxywrxy

Sxywrxy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That sucks coz my HJC DS’ inner foam started delaminating a few weeks ago with only 1.5 years of service. Looking forward to an XD4 upgrade.
    Kmont likes this.
  16. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Remember reading about Helmet tests, specifically the SHARP test, maybe UK only? Arai and Shoei fared pretty badly with a lot of cheaper brands beating them. Arai and Shoei's response was that the testing was ridiculous and one particular test bore no resemblance to what could happen in an accident. They (Arai & Shoei) claimed that the cheaper brands were designing their helmets around the SHARP test just to get good marks and that they would not change their designs just to fall in line?
    Kmont likes this.
  17. glenn2926

glenn2926 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using a Nexx X Wed 2. Since November. It’s the first adventure style helmet I have owned. The peak is smaller than most other helmets of this style. So far it’s much quieter than I thought it would be. The Large aperture gives great peripheral vision. As I said I’ve only been using a few months but so far I’m pleased with it.