helmets on airplanes

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Cauldron, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Cauldron

Cauldron Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer:
    So I have to go to Florida on business. I have to fly there and back because of time constraints.

I have a bike to ride when I get there.

I am taking my helmet with me on the plane.

The TSA site has information on nail clippers and breast milk, Cricket bats and Ice Axes. But nothing on Motorcycle gear. I do not want to trust my helmet to checked baggage. So is it okay to carry a helmet on a plane? Have you done it? How?

Thanks, and maybe I'll see some of you at Biketoberfest.
  2. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    I flew from western Colorado to Denver, on to JFK in New York City and then to Barcelona Spain - wife and I both carrying helmets. No one blinked. You oughta be fine.:thumb
  3. Jettson

Jettson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you will be fine......unless you insisted on wearing it....or trying to hide a water bottle or weed in it.
    JB:lol3
  4. Cgo100DoElRey

Cgo100DoElRey Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently flew Miami to Orlando on a one way ticket with some mortorcycle boots and helmet on my hands. I was looked at weird, I got the type of security screaning most middle easterners complaing about getting, but all was good. I doubt you will have any problems!
  5. Cauldron

Cauldron Now in DESMODROMIC!

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the replies. I was having thoughts of people calling me "sir.":lol3

and not in a good way...
  6. ndcent

ndcent Banned

Oddometer:
    I fly for motorcycle trips quite a bit, and use this bag from Arai as a carry on for my helmet and misc. Works great, concealable shoulder straps, two pockets on sides plus extra faceshield zippered pocked in main compartment. Works both with street and offroad helmets. $40 well spent.

[​IMG]
  7. Mountain

Mountain Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Never had any problems on domestic or international flights. You might at some point get some junior person who doesn't really know and question you, but as long as you are confident and tell them that you have never been prevented from taking your helmet onboard before, they will fold.
  8. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Only prob I could see is maybe on one of the small commuter jets where the overhead bin isn't very tall and a helmut might not fit in? Should fit under the seat though.
    So far as going through security with it you'll be fine.
  9. Fixitguy74

Fixitguy74 n00b

Oddometer:
    I once went through security with a pair of tire irons in my carry on bag, but that was before 9/11. I wouldn't want to try it now. The helmet shouldn't be a problem though.
  10. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Done it, nothing special.

One guy did ask me, "What's it for?" :huh

Which is really not as dumb as pointing to the fire extinguisher in my truck and asking, as a fellow once did, "What's that for?" :rolleyes

I was also hauling radios and some miscellaneous rescue gear. They looked at it, but were more worried about another passenger's toothpaste.
  11. West Coast Mags

West Coast Mags Parlor Snake

Oddometer:
    Just did it last week without any problems. I have a semi-hard helmet case for my Arai XD and actually just use it as a carry on. I throw my ipod, camera and all the other crap in it (in plastic bags of course) and have never had them even open it at security. Plus if you put an ADV sticker on the case, you'll be surprised at how many FF's come out of the woodwork at the airports. Do you guys like hang out there or something?:kumbaya
  12. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I never had a problem carrying one. I either carry it in the open, or using a helmet bag\case with other crap throw into the helmet. I sometimes toss it in a duffel or checked baggage, just wrap it in a towel or something.

PS I like that arai bag, maybe I'll pick one up, where'd you get it?
  13. Kieth

Kieth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do not try to wear your electric vest, it could get messy...:rofl

And they do not like armored jackets at all.....................:evil
  14. Tempo

Tempo Stumptown Native

Oddometer:
    One more vote to the chrous: no problem as a carry on. I did it two weeks ago. :nod
  15. FlyNavy

FlyNavy 2 much not chromed 2 list

Oddometer:
    There are no restrictions on MC helmets on US carriers. You do need to comply with the total number of carry-ons allowed. This time of year it is quite common to see folks walking on board with their ski boots slung over their sholder and their ski helmets sticking out of their back packs.
  16. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I just had that bag the Helmet Came in and tossed it in the overhead no problemo. I've taken MC helmets on 2 flights so far with no problems once in 2001 and then again this past May.
  17. Stormatzio

Stormatzio n00b

Oddometer:
    I travel all over with my gear. Sometimes I bring it as a carry on and sometimes i pack it in my Ogio gear bag. Never had a problem. I prefer checking it because it's a challange to fit it in the overhead or under my seat depending on the plane. I would suggest checking it in bag if you have the option.
  18. Zinn

Zinn War Eagle

Oddometer:
    I flew to Orlando last Friday with armored overpants, helmet, armored 3/4 length jacket, gloves moto boots and a full backpack (housing those items) to pick up my new-to-me GS and had no issues!
    :thumb
    Only thing I really didn't like was not having my knife and multitool.
  19. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think the important point to remember here is if there's turbulence, stand up calmly and put the helmet on in full view of all the other passengers :D

I've flown with it too and had no trouble at all
  20. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    don't you wish sometimes, you could just reply to the thread title without reading the insides.....