Helmets on Frontier Airlines?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Spaceweasel, Aug 6, 2020.

1. Spaceweasel

Spaceweasel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone flown Frontier recently with a helmet? Their list of allowable items doesn't include them, and the default answer from the out-of-country phone bank representative was if its not on the list you can't take it. Then I was told that the on-the-ground staff might have different rules.
  2. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    just wear it as Covid protection
    Animo, Parcero and Eyes Shut like this.
  3. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    I always carry my helmet and have never been questioned . It is a delicate piece of my safety equipment that no baggage handler is going to toss around or bang off the side of the plane or crush. Period.
  4. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    Not Frontier, but United and Allegient. The times I’ve taken a helmet I put it in my “carry on” which was a waterproof duffle for the bike. I usually use my tank bag or a pannier liner, for my “personal item.”

in June I rode up to NC and ended up flying home because of weather. I left my helmet and jacket with the bike but wore my boots and Traverse pants. At the AVL airport I had to strip off my Traverse pants (in private) because the armor was giving a red flag on the xray. On the trip back 3 weeks later, I removed all the armor and put it in my bag to avoid the same scenario. The only thing they asked about at the SRQ airport was why I had a 21” motorcycle tube in my luggage LOL.

FWIW the SW Motech pannier liner bags are the exact dimensions allowed by Allegiant for a “personal item” which you place under the seat and is allowed with out paying any extra fees.
  5. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Never an issue on American or United, I just pit it in a a helmet bag or backpack, never questioned so can't imagine Frontier would.
  6. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    I fly frontier

They can be picky on carry on...they have a sizing bin to check at every gate ...it likely will not pass that test

But

Just wear it on ...they can not object to that

Good luck

Scott
    cyclopathic and kantuckid like this.
  7. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    tell them it's you PPE and wear it on the plane if they object
    kantuckid likes this.
  8. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are several other threads on carry on riding gear. I've taken my helmet and use my pillion seat soft bag as carry-on luggage.
    Check out ebay for a military pilots helmet bag if your not gonna wear it on.
  9. Grizzmug

Grizzmug Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Flew with frontier last year and used a helmet in a helmet bag as my personal item and then my duffel as my carry on. Worked fine for me.
  10. GaryM

GaryM Huh? What?

Oddometer:
    Tell them you don't trust the pilots flying skills.
  11. Spaceweasel

Spaceweasel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As an update: I had my hemet in its bag as a personal item carry-on, with my jacket jauntily swung over my shoulder and a book tucked under my arm. No questions were asked.
    Dirt2007 likes this.