1. Hey everyone, We’re going to start a weekly email to surface interesting threads in the forums. No worries, you can easily unsubscribe if you don’t find it interesting. If you’re like me, it’s nice to have someone willing to poke around a big community like ours and find the most interesting stuff. Saves time and I hate missing something great. It worked really well when we had someone discovering the best photos for the home page rotation back in the day. And if you have something fascinating to post, maybe this email does everyone some good by getting it noticed. Let us know what you think when you get it. Your feedback will make it better as we go (thread). Thanks! Baldy & rudy1220
    Dismiss Notice

HELMETS

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Redback, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Redback

Redback Average aussie bloke

Oddometer:
    Well after what seemed like forever I finally decided on a Helmet, but not before trying on every conceivable type of Helmet from the outrageously expensive(which doesn't always equate to quality so I found out) to the low budget Helmets.

I now have a Bell MX-9 Adventure Helmet after the missus claimed my road helmet.

So who has what helmet and why did you buy and do you like what you bought??

Baz.
  2. Sebastionbear

Sebastionbear Oh! heck...

Oddometer:
    well, it worked for James May....................:lol3

[​IMG]
    diabolik37 and Redback like this.
  3. Redback

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't do anything those clowns did.
    Ducksbane likes this.
  4. bigbrad

bigbrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bell is bestfor the price but found it very prone to wind noise.
    Now have the nexx Baja and very impressed.
    Redback likes this.
  5. Redback

Oddometer:
    Wind noise is the only issue you can't predict when you buy a helmet, it's not like you can test one, a decent set of earplugs can help if there is excessive wind noise.

At the moment this will have to do until I can afford $700 or 800 for a helmet, most of the reviews were favorable for the MX-9 so time on the bike will tell if I have made a good choice, if it's no worse than my Bell Revolver then I'll be happy enough.

Baz.
  6. Hopey

Hopey Hopey

Oddometer:
    I’m currently trying to decide on a new helmet as well.

I’m currently using Arai XD4 this is my second one.
    Had a Klim, nice and lite and quite but hit the ground and broke it so not sure again about a carbon helmet.
    Tried a Shoei but noisey
    So don’t know have a Bell off road which is nice so will have a look at the Bell ADV.
    Thank you
    Hopey
    Redback likes this.
  7. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    I have 3 Shoei's.
    TZ-X - comfortable, noisier than the XR100 it replaced.
    Hornet DS - comfortable, good ventilation. For me it is a styling exercise and offers no advantage over a normal road helmet. Peak catches air. Will probably offload it.
    GT-Air - arrived today. Reputably very quiet. Will report back later this week.
    Redback and Hopey like this.
  8. DeLewis

DeLewis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Shoei Hornet as well - my first “expensive” helmet. The main reasons for trying out the Hornet was I was hoping the extra cost would be justified in terms of longevity - especially the liners - and for reduced wind noise.

My two previous helmets were LS2 dual sports - cheap and frankly pretty good. But the liners don’t last more than about 18 months of regular use and it is almost cheaper to buy an entire new helmet than liner replacements. Also, the wind noise was quite excessive.

So far the liners on the Hornet appear to be a bit more durable and the wind noise is reduced. But given the price difference, it’s hard to justify what are ultimately subtle differences in material quality (talking lining, not shell) and noise reduction design. Just my 2c.
    Redback likes this.
  9. laurient

laurient Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a MX9 as i thought it was the best bang for my buck . So far I'm pretty happy . I got the Roland Sands version as it came with a free tinted visor .
    Redback likes this.
  10. LivingdeadCamo

LivingdeadCamo Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm stuck using an Oneal adv sierra I think it is for the time being? My MX rig expired and I'm due for a new lid soon.
    The Oneal was purchased as a dabble into the adv helmets for me as I'd usually have an MX lid for dirt and a dedicate road lid for well, the road.

Gotta say I would not advocate anyone buy the Oneal.
    It's fairly rigid inside, it's noisy as the screen doesn't seal and it's not overly ventilated. There MX helmets at the same price point are better.

I was looking at going with an Airoh this time round and am not sure wetaher I go back to an MX'er or the ADV model. Light, comfy and a good looking bit of kit in my opinion. They also just released a new ADV lid only available in Europe at the moment but will be keen to try one on.
    Redback likes this.
  11. Redback

Oddometer:

Just what I wanted to hear, this is my first ADV helmet and went on reviews which I normally don't do, I do have a MX helmet, ALDI special though, surprisingly a pretty good helmet:hide

Baz.

I
    Hopey likes this.
  12. bigbrad

bigbrad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In saying all that I still wear ear plugs in all my helmets and the Bell is fine with them in as wind noise is then a non issue.

The Nexx is quieter and alot lighter with alot more features. About 520 aud when on special from FC-Moto

I can use my Nexx without plugs on my roadie but still need em with the Bell.

Brad
    Redback likes this.
  13. hattah79

hattah79 .

Oddometer:
    A couple of things with the Bell MX9 Adventure
    The peak has 2 positions
    This is adjusted by the centre thumb screw
    At the rear position the peak is almost useless when heading into the sun
    When in the forward position and with the visor open The visor WILL rub on the peak
    This gives you two marks on the visor right in the line of sight
    $90.00 for the visor ouch
    Redback likes this.
  14. Paul124ac

Paul124ac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love my MX9 in the summer, I bought it for use on the four fiddy coz me and goggles don’t get on but I use it on the 1200 and even the scoot, just can’t wear a helmet sans peak I’m afraid. Got a Shark carbon-R adventure recently, good lid, light, comfy, hate ear plugs and it’s pretty quiet but it’s a sweat box so I’ll use the Bell on hot days. Tried an Oneal and an LS2 and they both tried to rip my bonce off, bang for buck the Bell is a winner.
    Redback likes this.
  15. schmik

schmik Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took to the peak with a dremel so this wouldn’t happen. So far so good. Only needed a few mm removed.
    Redback likes this.
  16. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Found pretty much the same with the Aldi helmets, the liner would last around 18 months 2 years.
    And before the ALDI helmet smackdown, you don't really believe that once a year ALDI makes 50000 or so helmets do you ?
    Noise I can't comment on, always wear ear plugs and my regular helmet is a flipface, noiser than full anyway.
    Redback likes this.
  17. Redback

Oddometer:
    My Bell Revolver is a flip up also, I knew when I bought it, it would be noisy and would require earplugs, I found this type of earplug to be the best, there a twist in type.

[​IMG]
    Adrian V and fayeslane like this.
  18. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Use the same, very comfortable. With a bit of spit you get an excellent seal :wink:
    Tenerrod and Adrian V like this.
  19. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Only thing that works for me is BluTac..stick some in your ear and lick your finger and press it place..then deathly silence..
    DeLewis likes this.
  20. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Late last year bought a shoei GT air from chromeburner.com, they are in Holland but ship to aus. At the top of their website choose language and currency, my experience was a happy big dollar saving one.:*sip*
    boxerboy81 and Redback like this.